2006 Handlebar upgrade - Road Glide Forums
Controls & Handlebars Controls and Handlebars for Road Glides

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 37
2006 Handlebar upgrade

Hi guys,

I am 6'1", and I find the bars too low. I want to change the bars, however I don't want to change cables or wiring. What is the tallest bar I can go to without modifications? I want something with more height & pullback. I plan to check out the Heritage bars this week at my local shop, however I don't know if they will be tall enough.

Thanks,

Guy
Fillatre is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillatre View Post
Hi guys,

I am 6'1", and I find the bars too low. I want to change the bars, however I don't want to change cables or wiring. What is the tallest bar I can go to without modifications? I want something with more height & pullback. I plan to check out the Heritage bars this week at my local shop, however I don't know if they will be tall enough.

Thanks,

Guy
Get what fits you the first time. You'll save money in the long run since you'll probably end up with longer cables anyway. Experimenting gets expensive quick.

I naturally started with the stock bars. Then I went to Wide Glide bars. They I went to HD mini apes (13" from top of the bend at the grip to the bottom of the bend at the clamp) and the throttle cables were okay, but I had the wires on the outside and had to go with a longer clutch cable. Now I have 19s and the old extended clutch cable worked but I had to get new throttle cables and extend the wires by about 6".

Last edited by SickRick; 04-28-2013 at 11:39 AM.
SickRick is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
Get what fits you the first time. You'll save money in the long run since you'll probably end up with longer cables anyway. Experimenting gets expensive quick.

I naturally started with the stock bars. Then I went to Wide Glide bars. They I went to HD mini apes (13" from top of the bend at the grip to the bottom of the bend at the clamp) and the throttle cables were okay, but I had the wires on the outside and had to go with a longer clutch cable. Now I have 19s and the old extended clutch cable worked but I had to get new throttle cables and extend the wires by about 6".
Thanks. I know I only want to go a few inches over stock, just wondering what the max is without changes.
Fillatre is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Life Member
 
Big_gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: GA.
Posts: 7,979
Garage
About 12" on the brake line. That's what the Heritage style bars are I have and the brake line is at its max. Clutch got maybe an other inch.
Get what you want and don't worry about cables. There easy and inexpensive to replace. The wiring on both sides should have enough slack to reach 16" s .

2010 FLTRX , Stage 1, 13" Madstad, Mono tubes, SuperShox, Heritage style bars. Alpine CDE-HD149BT,Soundstream Picasso Nano Series PN4.520 , 5X7 and 6.5 Infinity Kappa speakers
If I have to explain ,you wouldn't under stand anyway.
Big_gary is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_gary View Post
About 12" on the brake line. That's what the Heritage style bars are I have and the brake line is at its max. Clutch got maybe an other inch.
Get what you want and don't worry about cables. There easy and inexpensive to replace. The wiring on both sides should have enough slack to reach 16" s .
Thanks. I will know this week if the Heritage bars are comfortable.

Cheers,

Guy
Fillatre is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Life Member
 
Big_gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: GA.
Posts: 7,979
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillatre View Post
Thanks. I will know this week if the Heritage bars are comfortable.

Cheers,

Guy
Now I have the Heritage style bars for TBW. If you go true Heritage bars Non tbw check the difference in dimensions between the two.

2010 FLTRX , Stage 1, 13" Madstad, Mono tubes, SuperShox, Heritage style bars. Alpine CDE-HD149BT,Soundstream Picasso Nano Series PN4.520 , 5X7 and 6.5 Infinity Kappa speakers
If I have to explain ,you wouldn't under stand anyway.
Big_gary is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillatre View Post
Thanks. I know I only want to go a few inches over stock...
Yeah, that's what I said originally.
SickRick is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 37
Heritage bars installed, and so far I am happy. Need a couple of long runs to be 100% sure. No issues with wires or cables.
Fillatre is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Life Member
 
Big_gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: GA.
Posts: 7,979
Garage
Good deal.

2010 FLTRX , Stage 1, 13" Madstad, Mono tubes, SuperShox, Heritage style bars. Alpine CDE-HD149BT,Soundstream Picasso Nano Series PN4.520 , 5X7 and 6.5 Infinity Kappa speakers
If I have to explain ,you wouldn't under stand anyway.
Big_gary is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 11:20 PM
Newbie
 
Nifty-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ventura County
Posts: 29
I have a pair of Todd's 12" Strip for 06 for sale, $190 plus shipping
Nifty-50 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Handlebar Upgrade!!! cbruder35 Audio 1 09-16-2017 07:02 PM
Stock 18" from a 2010 RG on a 2006 RG miked Aftermarket Accessories 4 03-28-2011 06:24 PM
AM FM Antenna for 2006 Road Glide. kimmer127 Aftermarket Accessories 1 07-17-2010 10:04 AM
2006 seat cover Dry Heat Seating: seats, backrests 2 05-19-2010 08:01 PM
Will 2010 RG parts fit on a 2006 RG? jaerikd510 *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 9 04-18-2010 02:17 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome