Ultra bars on Road Glide Special ? - Road Glide Forums
Controls & Handlebars Controls and Handlebars for Road Glides

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 16
Ultra bars on Road Glide Special ?

Anybody using ultra bars on their special ? I just picked up a 18 RGS and i actually like the bars but i wish they were a tad bit taller. I read that the RGU bars were taller so before i drop money on aftermarket bars i thought i would ask here and see how you guys like them and maybe if anyone has any pics ? Also how much taller are they ?
houston_t is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 05:17 PM
Hangaround
 
flhtcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tri-Cities Tennessee
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston_t View Post
Anybody using ultra bars on their special ? I just picked up a 18 RGS and i actually like the bars but i wish they were a tad bit taller. I read that the RGU bars were taller so before i drop money on aftermarket bars i thought i would ask here and see how you guys like them and maybe if anyone has any pics ? Also how much taller are they ?
I believe they are considering them 11" but that's just me thrying to find out what size before I changed them out. I have my stock bars if you're interested let me know...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
flhtcm is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 05:24 PM
Grey beard
 
BB Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 1,047
Garage
from what I can find, RGU bars:
10.25" Rise
10" Pullback
34.75 wide

RG/S
9.50" Rise
10.50" Pullback
32.25" Wide

They will fit, lots of people have done it. All you have to do is pull that pesky pin on the bottom clamp. A pair of vice grips will pull it out, or others have pounded it down so its flush.

Check craigslist or ebay before ordering them from the dealer. Lots of people changing out their bars so they can be had for much less.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than have to have a frontal lobotomy." ~ Tom Waits
BB Bomber is online now  
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by flhtcm View Post
I believe they are considering them 11" but that's just me thrying to find out what size before I changed them out. I have my stock bars if you're interested let me know...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Are your stock bars black ?
houston_t is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Bomber View Post
from what I can find, RGU bars:
10.25" Rise
10" Pullback
34.75 wide

RG/S
9.50" Rise
10.50" Pullback
32.25" Wide

They will fit, lots of people have done it. All you have to do is pull that pesky pin on the bottom clamp. A pair of vice grips will pull it out, or others have pounded it down so its flush.

Check craigslist or ebay before ordering them from the dealer. Lots of people changing out their bars so they can be had for much less.
Thanks for that info, deff not gonna buy new, I wanna say i has 12'' bars on my 13 and they were nice but these new factory's feel good too
houston_t is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 05:38 PM
Grey beard
 
BlazingSaddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 926
Garage
I was using Ultra bars on my Ultra, and honestly don’t have anything bad to say about them. Buddy has an RGS and he’s swapping his stock bars out as soon as financially possible. I only swapped mine out because I wanted a different look. Hanging on to them “just in case”, since haven’t taken a road trip with the new setup yet. You should have no problems swapping yours out for Ultra bars, just do as previous posts said. The pin on an RGS clamp is opposite of that on an Ultra so will need to tap flush or just remove. Very simple.
BlazingSaddle is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 16
Winter here in MI so i haven't rode with these bars yet but just sitting here they feel good. When i sat on my SGS i instantly knew i didn't like those bars, but its all personal preference.
houston_t is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 05:43 PM
Hangaround
 
flhtcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tri-Cities Tennessee
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston_t View Post
Are your stock bars black ?
Chrome

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
flhtcm is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 07:13 AM
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: St. Paul, Mn.
Posts: 1,291
Garage
You may want to look for road king bars. Taller than ultra and less pull back. I went that way for my carpal tunnel to straighten my wrists.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

" 4 Wheels move the body, 2 Wheels move the soul"

2015 Road Glide Special "Amber Whiskey"
Buzzy is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 16
So is pullback the wrist angle ?
houston_t is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
compare Road Glide Special vs Ultra georgewerr *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 33 11-18-2017 07:53 AM
2016 Road Glide Ultra conversion to Road Glide Special peytonkristen *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 15 05-17-2017 01:01 PM
2011 Road Glide Custom Vs 2016 Road Glide Special Dant52 *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 4 05-05-2016 05:33 PM
2011 ultra bars vs CVO ultra bars? Thistlethunder Controls & Handlebars 2 11-04-2011 06:11 PM
1999 ultra king tour pack off ultra EG used on a 2006 road glide?? kirkglide Aftermarket Accessories 2 05-30-2011 11:55 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome