I had the same problem with my 2012 Custom.
I found the front brake light switch was bad so I did a quick repair and all was well for a while.
When the cruise stopped working again I used the Harley diagnostic check and found the set/resume switch was faulty.
I replaced both the front brake lamp switch and the set/resume switch and all has been well ever since.
I'll list below the Diagnostic Steps I used.
Hope this helps.
1. Hold cruise switch in the SET position.
2. Turn the cruise ON.
3. Turn the main power switch on, the cruise light should initially come on then turn GREEN, release the cruise switch the light will turn RED.
4. Push the cruise switch to RESUME the light should turn GREEN, release the switch, the light should turn RED.
5. Roll the throttle OFF make sure you roll it off to activate the cutoff switch for the cruise, the light should turn GREEN, release the throttle
the light should turn RED.
6. Apply the front brake, the light should turn GREEN, release it, the light should turn RED.
What you have done is test each of the SWITCHES that are in the cruise system.
If, during any of the tests, the light does not turn GREEN, then that part is at fault.
Nothing else matters!
Last edited by Mike U; 10-07-2018 at 06:00 AM.