12” Apes with some pullback - Road Glide Forums
Controls & Handlebars Controls and Handlebars for Road Glides

 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Erik Ralston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 7
12” Apes with some pullback

This is my first post...only had my 2019 RGS for about a month and a half. When I bought the bike I included a set of 12” Factory 47 Signature bars as part of the deal, and I think I may have made a very expensive mistake. They’re great looking, high quality bars, don’t get me wrong, but I made my decision based on style and all the great reviews on them, and the ergonomics don’t quite work for me. I’m 5’9 with a 30” inseam and the height is perfect, but they’re too wide and don’t have enough pullback so it’s tweaking the middle of my back and making me have to lean or scoot forward in my seat. It’s killing the comfort of the bike for me. I may try to fix it with a different seat, but that doesn’t address the width. I was looking at KST bars because they seem to be a couple inches narrower, but about the same pullback. Wondering if anyone has other suggestions or advice for my current setup. Thanks!
Erik Ralston is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:25 PM
Prospect
 
Molo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 272
Before changing bars or buying another seat try rolling the bars back towards you. It won’t help with the width but it will solve the leaning forward problem. Good luck.
Erik Ralston likes this.
Molo1 is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:46 PM
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: St. Paul, Mn.
Posts: 1,291
Garage
I totally agree with Molo. When you pull them back, you may have to grind the pin off the controls to get them where they feel best. KST are narrower but less pullback that F47. I don't remember if the F47 has a hole for the bar pin, if not it's already taken care of for you, if it does you may have to remove it too. If you still have the stock bars you may want to have someone hold them in place to get a idea of that amount of pullback. My Softail took 6 bars before I was happy. I think it's only 3 on RGS but have not had these on a long trip yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

" 4 Wheels move the body, 2 Wheels move the soul"

2015 Road Glide Special "Amber Whiskey"
Buzzy is offline  
 
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:31 PM
Life Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 6,279
Welcome to the forum, good luck in your search for a new bars.
Erik Ralston likes this.

2018 FLTRXS, Vivid Black, KW Slicer Front Fender, Sundowner Seat/Modified by Mean City Cycle
FLTRXS18 is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:36 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 45
Garage
KST has 3 piece bar that lets adjust the pullback as well as the front to back lean.
junker is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:33 PM
Hangaround
 
LoneCabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 116
I did the same thing but with a set of JSR bars, I ended up going with s set of Harley 12” Tall Boy bars after trying my buddy’s bike that had them. They may not have the “cool” factor of some of the others but man are they comfortable, and I am 5-10 with a 30” inseam.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LoneCabbage is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Erik Ralston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
I totally agree with Molo. When you pull them back, you may have to grind the pin off the controls to get them where they feel best. KST are narrower but less pullback that F47. I don't remember if the F47 has a hole for the bar pin, if not it's already taken care of for you, if it does you may have to remove it too. If you still have the stock bars you may want to have someone hold them in place to get a idea of that amount of pullback. My Softail took 6 bars before I was happy. I think it's only 3 on RGS but have not had these on a long trip yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
@Buzzy and Molo1, thank you...good thinking. I was just looking into that. My dealer did the install and I wasn't able to pull them back any further than straight with the forks because of that pin. Looks like I may be able to pound that down but yeah, I'm not sure about the pin for the controls. I just learned that was there. What bars did you end up with?
Erik Ralston is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Erik Ralston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by junker View Post
KST has 3 piece bar that lets adjust the pullback as well as the front to back lean.
@junker I was literally just watching a video on their site on those. Wish I had seen them before, since they're about the same price as the F47's and I'm not sure yet if I want to do an install on my own. Did it a couple times on my Dyna and it seemed something always went wrong so I'm more hesitant to try on this bike :/
Erik Ralston is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Erik Ralston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneCabbage View Post
I did the same thing but with a set of JSR bars, I ended up going with s set of Harley 12” Tall Boy bars after trying my buddy’s bike that had them. They may not have the “cool” factor of some of the others but man are they comfortable, and I am 5-10 with a 30” inseam.
@LoneCabbage , I had looked at those a while ago and yeah, I'm probably guilty of dismissing them for style reasons. But maybe I should take another look at them. I definitely feel like I need to prioritize comfort here.
Erik Ralston is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:49 AM
Grey beard
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Wichita KS
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Ralston View Post
@Buzzy and Molo1, thank you...good thinking. I was just looking into that. My dealer did the install and I wasn't able to pull them back any further than straight with the forks because of that pin. Looks like I may be able to pound that down but yeah, I'm not sure about the pin for the controls. I just learned that was there. What bars did you end up with?
If you are not comfortable pulling that pin, I would go back to the dealer and get them to adjust them for you. My 08 doesn't have the pin, but I will adjust my f47 bars before a big trip. Pull back quite a ways for pounding out highway miles and move them forward once I get to the twisties for a more controlled feel. I am about the same height as you and this seems to work well. I can do it in 5 minutes or so and it makes a world of difference.
James is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome