Compensator Install Question - Road Glide Forums
Engine Related Engine Builds and more for Road Glides

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 6,608
Compensator Install Question

I am thinking of doing the compensator install myself and have decided to go with the Harley upgrade kit. I believe I have the needed tools and can get the primary gear locking tool through Harley. Any suggestions from those that have done their own on what to watch out for, needed items, etc. Also, any input on the Adhesive Kit install would be great as well.

Thanks

2020 FLTRXS, Vivid Black, KW Slicer Front Fender, Sundowner Seat/Modified by Mean City Cycle for trips, Mustang Wide Tripper Solo Seat
FLTRXS20 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Life Member
 
rlaf75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Hartford CT
Posts: 7,194
I'm assuming that the stator rotor has to be swapped out too when you upgrade to the new style compensator? The manual says you need to loosen or remove the inner primary to change the rotor but you don't have to if you want to do the gringing method like i did. It will be about the same time frame to do but there will be less parts to replace meaning less money too

09 Mirage Orange Pearl

Some people just need a high-five. In the head. With a chair
rlaf75 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Life Member
 
Big_gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: GA.
Posts: 8,122
Garage
Somebody said you can save some bucks by buying your own glue. They had a link up for the type of glue needed..

2010 FLTRX , Stage 1, 13" Madstad, Mono tubes, SuperShox, Heritage style bars. Alpine CDE-HD149BT,Soundstream Picasso Nano Series PN4.520 , 5X7 and 6.5 Infinity Kappa speakers
If I have to explain ,you wouldn't under stand anyway.
Big_gary is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Life Member
 
Big_gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: GA.
Posts: 8,122
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaf75 View Post
I'm assuming that the stator rotor has to be swapped out too when you upgrade to the new style compensator? The manual says you need to loosen or remove the inner primary to change the rotor but you don't have to if you want to do the gringing method like i did. It will be about the same time frame to do but there will be less parts to replace meaning less money too
What do you need to grind ?

2010 FLTRX , Stage 1, 13" Madstad, Mono tubes, SuperShox, Heritage style bars. Alpine CDE-HD149BT,Soundstream Picasso Nano Series PN4.520 , 5X7 and 6.5 Infinity Kappa speakers
If I have to explain ,you wouldn't under stand anyway.
Big_gary is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Member
 
FDR's RGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 550
Inner primary to remove rotor without pulling inner.
FDR's RGC is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Life Member
 
OldNerdGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: St. Peters, MO
Posts: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDGL2009 View Post
I am thinking of doing the compensator install myself and have decided to go with the Harley upgrade kit. I believe I have the needed tools and can get the primary gear locking tool through Harley. Any suggestions from those that have done their own on what to watch out for, needed items, etc. Also, any input on the Adhesive Kit install would be great as well.

Thanks
Get what you need from PCPain. He can provide all the necessary parts. The Adhesive is critical, as it is some form of super epoxy that can stand up to the hot oil, and whatever else is inside the primary. The Glue comes with mixing nozzles, and I would recommend you get the caulking adapter as well, unless you are a professional arm wrestler, that glue is pretty stiff and hard to push out thru the mixing nozzle. Like I said, give PCPain a call (he has several threads herein, that have his contact info, or just PM him). Some dealers will not sell the glue, or the caulking gun adapter because HD said not to (Corporate BS).

I did my own, not all that difficult. But... (there is always a but), I had already had the SE compensator put on before (mine is also a 2009). The SE Comp came with a new Rotor, so I already had that part done. If you have not previously replaced your comp with the SE Model, you will have to swap rotors as well, and the 2014 Comp kit does not come with one, so you will have to order one of those as well.

So, having to pull the primary apart just to change the rotor is REALLY DUMB!!! The clearance issue is ever so slight, but enough so that you cannot get it out without removing the primary, or grinding the primary case. REALLY DUMB!!!

Good luck. Make sure you keep your primary chain oriented properly, do not run it backwards from what it had been doing. I found my locking bar on


for only $20.00 with shipping (but no HD Logo on it). You will also need a T70 Torx Bit, which may be hard to find (


).
OldNerdGuy is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 6,608
Compensator Install Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNerdGuy View Post
Get what you need from PCPain. He can provide all the necessary parts. The Adhesive is critical, as it is some form of super epoxy that can stand up to the hot oil, and whatever else is inside the primary. The Glue comes with mixing nozzles, and I would recommend you get the caulking adapter as well, unless you are a professional arm wrestler, that glue is pretty stiff and hard to push out thru the mixing nozzle. Like I said, give PCPain a call (he has several threads herein, that have his contact info, or just PM him). Some dealers will not sell the glue, or the caulking gun adapter because HD said not to (Corporate BS).

I did my own, not all that difficult. But... (there is always a but), I had already had the SE compensator put on before (mine is also a 2009). The SE Comp came with a new Rotor, so I already had that part done. If you have not previously replaced your comp with the SE Model, you will have to swap rotors as well, and the 2014 Comp kit does not come with one, so you will have to order one of those as well.

So, having to pull the primary apart just to change the rotor is REALLY DUMB!!! The clearance issue is ever so slight, but enough so that you cannot get it out without removing the primary, or grinding the primary case. REALLY DUMB!!!

Good luck. Make sure you keep your primary chain oriented properly, do not run it backwards from what it had been doing. I found my locking bar on Amazon for only $20.00 with shipping (but no HD Logo on it). You will also need a T70 Torx Bit, which may be hard to find (Amazon again ).
Thanks for the info, I sent a PM to PC Pain a couple of days ago and waiting to hear back. Thanks for the info on the adhesive adapter, I had not thought of that. Per the 2015 manual, now there is a complete kit with the rotor assy in the kit: p/n:40100061 (page 526 for touring 07-10 for anyone else needing the upgrade), which is good because I will need that assy. Also, thanks for the info on the primary locking bar and the T70 Torx Bit. I have checked out my maintenance manual and will be using that to ensure correct installation.

2020 FLTRXS, Vivid Black, KW Slicer Front Fender, Sundowner Seat/Modified by Mean City Cycle for trips, Mustang Wide Tripper Solo Seat
FLTRXS20 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 07:17 PM
Life Member
 
Hullhorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mt. Airy, MD
Posts: 6,081
The one thing I would add is to clean the inner face of the primary cover really well before you apply that special adhesive.

2009 FLTR MOP
"A Goverment should fear it's people not vice versa"
Hullhorr is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Life Member
 
OldNerdGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: St. Peters, MO
Posts: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullhorr View Post
The one thing I would add is to clean the inner face of the primary cover really well before you apply that special adhesive.
I cleaned mine with Carburetor Cleaner, then Brake Cleaner, then 3M Adhesive Remover, then Alcohol. You want to get it back to raw aluminum and almost sparkling. And clean a much bigger area than you need, including the ribs.

Good news about the Kit with the Rotor. The Original SE Comp kit came with one. At some point, they made the SE Comp a standard item in the Twin Cam. Anybody with a bike older than that point needs the rotor.

Also, ignore what the maintenance manual sez about installation, it is obsolete, based on your original comp. The New Comp kit should come with installation instructions and updated Torque values. You will need a good Torque Wrench to install this beastie. One that can do 170 ft/lbs or more.

Last edited by OldNerdGuy; 10-05-2014 at 07:45 PM.
OldNerdGuy is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 6,608
Compensator Install Question

All, thanks for the input

2020 FLTRXS, Vivid Black, KW Slicer Front Fender, Sundowner Seat/Modified by Mean City Cycle for trips, Mustang Wide Tripper Solo Seat
FLTRXS20 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twin Power 34 Tooth Compensator Eliminator Install Hawkeye1 Engine Related 46 11-10-2019 10:10 AM
New Compensator or Compensator eliminator mrmoto95 Engine Related 11 03-28-2018 08:10 PM
A question about the compensator? SharkNose Engine Related 22 12-16-2014 09:41 AM
2014 SE Compensator Question FLTRXS20 Engine Related 5 12-12-2013 05:40 PM
Question on Compensator Upgrade Roadglider09 *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 13 11-18-2013 07:46 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome