259e cam concerns - Road Glide Forums
Engine Related Engine Builds and more for Road Glides

 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Hangaround
 
therimel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Springfield, Mo
Posts: 93
Garage
259e cam concerns

So, I just had my bike re-tuned on the dyno and really just wanted it to be smooth.
it has plenty of power etc but down in the normal world 22-2500 rpms it still surges, twitchy and is just ready to be at wide open it feels like.
this is the 103 10:5/1 pistons, (was told it was 10:6-10:7/1, cnc ported heads, valves, springs, injector, 58mm throttle body, 259e cams. on the tune we spent 4hrs smoothing it out best as possible.
Any body else deal with this? I love the power but its getting to the point I don't feel it is practical in the smooth riding sense. Should I change pistons to lower compression or change out cams? Any thoughts would be great. thanks.

ps, cranking compression was 120 front and rear

I'm not a Dr. but i'll take a look
[/SIGPIC]
therimel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 05:45 PM
Grey beard
 
Brent376's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Surrey/Langley BC
Posts: 1,431
Garage
What are your numbers. I have the same set up with similar experience at lower RPM. My HP is 99 and TQ is 105. I don't like that twitchyness nor do I like the super low rev limiter (5200 RPM)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

JAWZ 2 / 2015 RGS /Custom Paint
Brent376 is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 05:59 PM
Life Member
 
RGKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 3,956
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by therimel View Post
So, I just had my bike re-tuned on the dyno and really just wanted it to be smooth.
it has plenty of power etc but down in the normal world 22-2500 rpms it still surges, twitchy and is just ready to be at wide open it feels like.
this is the 103 10:5/1 pistons, (was told it was 10:6-10:7/1, cnc ported heads, valves, springs, injector, 58mm throttle body, 259e cams. on the tune we spent 4hrs smoothing it out best as possible.
Any body else deal with this? I love the power but its getting to the point I don't feel it is practical in the smooth riding sense. Should I change pistons to lower compression or change out cams? Any thoughts would be great. thanks.

ps, cranking compression was 120 front and rear
While I will say that I am less than thrilled with the tq below 3k rpm's, my 120ST with 259e cams is very ridable as low as 2k rpm's if I so choose. I don't ride there as I feel that's borderline lugging the engine but I can. The engine is real happy and smooth as silk anything 2,800 and up so that's where I cruise at. Most of the time I'm above 3k and she is real happy. I say you should be smooth in that range but I don't know why you would want to ride there for very long anyway but that's JMHO.

2018 FLTRXS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RGKen is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Hangaround
 
therimel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Springfield, Mo
Posts: 93
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent376 View Post
What are your numbers. I have the same set up with similar experience at lower RPM. My HP is 99 and TQ is 105. I don't like that twitchyness nor do I like the super low rev limiter (5200 RPM)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk


101 hp 111 tq. that was at 85% humidity and dyno was sae 1.05

I'm not a Dr. but i'll take a look
[/SIGPIC]
therimel is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Hangaround
 
therimel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Springfield, Mo
Posts: 93
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGKen View Post
While I will say that I am less than thrilled with the tq below 3k rpm's, my 120ST with 259e cams is very ridable as low as 2k rpm's if I so choose. I don't ride there as I feel that's borderline lugging the engine but I can. The engine is real happy and smooth as silk anything 2,800 and up so that's where I cruise at. Most of the time I'm above 3k and she is real happy. I say you should be smooth in that range but I don't know why you would want to ride there for very long anyway but that's JMHO.

its not that I ride there, slow speeds, stop and go traffic or getting around parking lots etc. up top its nice.
engine is also real ticky and rattles. compared to my twin cam 88. not trying to compare the two though.

been thinking of pulling cam and maybe even just going with 110 pistons or a 107 lower comp and diff cam and keep the heads. idk, not super happy with it as of right now.
RGKen likes this.

I'm not a Dr. but i'll take a look
[/SIGPIC]
therimel is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 06:16 PM
Grey beard
 
Brent376's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Surrey/Langley BC
Posts: 1,431
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by therimel View Post
101 hp 111 tq. that was at 85% humidity and dyno was sae 1.05
What pipe and or tuner?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

JAWZ 2 / 2015 RGS /Custom Paint
Brent376 is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 06:22 PM
Life Member
 
RGKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 3,956
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by therimel View Post
its not that I ride there, slow speeds, stop and go traffic or getting around parking lots etc. up top its nice.
engine is also real ticky and rattles. compared to my twin cam 88. not trying to compare the two though.

been thinking of pulling cam and maybe even just going with 110 pistons or a 107 lower comp and diff cam and keep the heads. idk, not super happy with it as of right now.
Understood.

Not sure why your tuner couldn't smooth that out for you though. Should be possible in my book with out changing parts.

2018 FLTRXS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RGKen is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Hangaround
 
therimel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Springfield, Mo
Posts: 93
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent376 View Post
What pipe and or tuner?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
se pro tuner, v&h power duals and high output mufflers, se custom intake with a UNI foam filter.

I'm not a Dr. but i'll take a look
[/SIGPIC]
therimel is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Hangaround
 
therimel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Springfield, Mo
Posts: 93
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGKen View Post
Understood.

Not sure why your tuner couldn't smooth that out for you though. Should be possible in my book with out changing parts.
spent 4hrs. worlds better than when I brought it in. Different dealer did the kit and with a se pro tuner uploaded a precan stage 4 map. there were spots of 0 fuel. terrible

said the cam is tricky he said

I'm not a Dr. but i'll take a look
[/SIGPIC]
therimel is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 07:23 PM
Life Member
 
RGKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 3,956
Garage
259e cam concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by therimel View Post



said the cam is tricky he said

I think he is blowing smoke because he couldn't fix it all the way. My dealership does that kit ALL the time and I've never heard of the 259e being tricky to tune. Now I have heard other complaints like lack of power in the low end but never heard that it's a tricky cam to tune especially with your combination of ingredients. Interesting...



Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2018 FLTRXS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RGKen; 06-05-2016 at 07:30 PM.
RGKen is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
259E SE Cam Johndeere Parts for Sale 0 04-22-2015 02:02 AM
259e cams doublerunner Intake and Exhaust 2 05-01-2014 09:05 AM
Intake+Exhaust for 259E/254E/255 ????? Mountainman Intake and Exhaust 8 11-04-2013 12:44 AM
Se 259e vs se 255's urika391 Engine Related 1 01-09-2013 08:21 PM
SE 259E cams or Woods 777 ironmark Engine Related 9 01-06-2013 02:13 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome