What next after Stage 1? - Road Glide Forums
Engine Related Engine Builds and more for Road Glides

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
outlawjessejames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Carrollton, GA
Posts: 593
What next after Stage 1?

I am thinking of doing an upgrade or two to the engine. Nothing crazy but just looking for a little improvement. I currently have a Stage 1 upgrade with Rush 2-1 and has been tuned and on the dyno.
I'm not sure what to do next as engine builds aren't completely Greek to me.
I want to maintain decent mpg, but get a little more power and better sound. Should I look at adding a heavy breather (will it have to be re-tuned?) or cams?
Which brand of HB or Cams if I go that route?
Mostly city driving but take long trips every few months. Normally shift around 3500 - 4000
Thanks for the advice

Outlaw
2012 Ultra Custom - Big Blue Pearl
outlawjessejames is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 12:41 AM
Grey beard
 
pat123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canton,Georgia
Posts: 1,066
I would definitely go with a set of cams. I had a set of woods 222's ans a set of 555's in my street glide before I traded it in. I liked the 555's better. I removed the 555's before I traded it in for my road glide.


I cams really woke the bike up and ran like it should from the factory.A huge improvement in power.

I'm still breaking my RG in, after break in I'm going to install the 555's and maybe a set of ported heads.

The 222's pulled from 2k-3800 and dropped like a rock. Great touring cam it pulled and pulled them fell.

The 555's pulled from 2700-redline. Was a lot more fun. Both cams got good gas mileage. I'm using powervision.

You don't need the heavy breather just any intake will do.

Last edited by pat123; 03-24-2013 at 12:50 AM.
pat123 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
outlawjessejames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Carrollton, GA
Posts: 593
Re: What next after Stage 1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat123 View Post
I would definitely go with a set of cams. I had a set of woods 222's ans a set of 555's in my street glide before I traded it in. I liked the 555's better. I removed the 555's before I traded it in for my road glide.


I cams really woke the bike up and ran like it should from the factory.A huge improvement in power.

I'm still breaking my RG in, after break in I'm going to install the 555's and maybe a set of ported heads.

The 222's pulled from 2k-3800 and dropped like a rock. Great touring cam it pulled and pulled them fell.

The 555's pulled from 2700-redline. Was a lot more fun. Both cams got good gas mileage. I'm using powervision.

You don't need the heavy breather just any intake will do.
Thanks man! That's the way I was leaning so it's good to hear some feedback.
What did the cams run you? What all is involved with install? Not trying to spend a boat load!

Outlaw
2012 Ultra Custom - Big Blue Pearl
outlawjessejames is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 01:06 AM
Grey beard
 
pat123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canton,Georgia
Posts: 1,066
I got my 222's from fuel moto in a kit that came with the cams,push rods,gasket set for 560.00.

I got my 555's used for 250.00.

I did the install myself. I work on cars for a living for the past 20 years. The install was easy and takes around 4-6 hours with beer time haha. I done it so many times it seems I can do it in my sleep.

Last edited by pat123; 03-24-2013 at 01:09 AM.
pat123 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
outlawjessejames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Carrollton, GA
Posts: 593
Re: What next after Stage 1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat123 View Post
I got my 222's from fuel moto in a kit that came with the cams,push rods,gasket set for 560.00.

I got my 555's used for 250.00.

I did the install myself. I work on cars for a living for the past 20 years. The install was easy and takes around 4-6 hours with beer time haha. I done it so many times it seems I can do it in my sleep.
I wish I were confident enough to do mine!
So you definitely think the 555s over anything HD?
Does it change the sound at all? My dad has cams in his Heritage (not sure what kind) and his "lopes" like a drag bike! Haha!

Outlaw
2012 Ultra Custom - Big Blue Pearl
outlawjessejames is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 01:32 AM
Grey beard
 
pat123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canton,Georgia
Posts: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawjessejames View Post
I wish I were confident enough to do mine!
So you definitely think the 555s over anything HD?
Does it change the sound at all? My dad has cams in his Heritage (not sure what kind) and his "lopes" like a drag bike! Haha!

I haven't tired anything hd had to offer. I have been reading a lot about the hd SE 204's. Great power and sound wicked. I went with the 555's because of what fuel moto had to offer (great company and support).

The 555's do sound awesome. They have a good lope @ idle and pull awesome. A lot of people complain that the valve train is louder with the woods cams but I din't think they are too loud. The motor was loud to start with haha.

If your willing to help me I'll be happy to show you how to install them. I have a motorcycle lift and all the tools at my house. It's easy and I do it by the book.
pat123 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
outlawjessejames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Carrollton, GA
Posts: 593
Re: What next after Stage 1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat123 View Post
I haven't tired anything hd had to offer. I have been reading a lot about the hd SE 204's. Great power and sound wicked. I went with the 555's because of what fuel moto had to offer (great company and support).

The 555's do sound awesome. They have a good lope @ idle and pull awesome. A lot of people complain that the valve train is louder with the woods cams but I din't think they are too loud. The motor was loud to start with haha.

If your willing to help me I'll be happy to show you how to install them. I have a motorcycle lift and all the tools at my house. It's easy and I do it by the book.
Done!!! I noticed that you're not far from me. I actually work in Marietta. Let me get those cams and we'll knock it out, if you're sure you don't mind.
Now a good question.....what kind of beer do you drink? You might just be in luck

Outlaw
2012 Ultra Custom - Big Blue Pearl
outlawjessejames is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 01:57 AM
Grey beard
 
pat123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canton,Georgia
Posts: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawjessejames View Post
Done!!! I noticed that you're not far from me. I actually work in Marietta. Let me get those cams and we'll knock it out, if you're sure you don't mind.
Now a good question.....what kind of beer do you drink? You might just be in luck

I work in Marietta also. I don't mind a bit. Modding these bikes is a hobby of mine. My favorite beer is a open one haha. I like Sam Adams light.

Just let me know.
pat123 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 01:59 AM
Grey beard
 
pat123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canton,Georgia
Posts: 1,066
What tuner do you have?
pat123 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
outlawjessejames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Carrollton, GA
Posts: 593
Re: What next after Stage 1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat123 View Post
I work in Marietta also. I don't mind a bit. Modding these bikes is a hobby of mine. My favorite beer is a open one haha. I like Sam Adams light.

Just let me know.
PM sent. Thanks

Outlaw
2012 Ultra Custom - Big Blue Pearl
outlawjessejames is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 RGS Stage 1 dyno before and after jp374 Dyno Results 21 12-29-2014 07:05 PM
First Dyno After Stage IV Install. 103HP/105TQ 09Sharknose Dyno Results 0 05-03-2014 10:27 AM
Monotube review after taking the Advanced Riders Edge Course right after pick up Cmathias Suspensions 20 09-20-2013 12:27 PM
RG after RG after RG! Monkeyman *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 30 05-29-2012 02:51 PM
Thoughts after 1st long ride after upgrades 08Zinc *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 9 10-12-2011 08:47 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome