cool thanks everyone. i've been chasing down this clatter sound and am going through everything i can think of.
here are the symptoms:
- clatter type sound at 2800-3000 rpm, sounds like a chain tapping on something
- only happens with power at clutch, i cannot replicate sound in neutral revving through rpm
- sound goes away when i am on the road and i pull in clutch but leave rpm's hanging in that zone
- no codes from engine
this is what i've done:
- put a stethoscope to entire bike while idling and revving, nothing standing out
- pulled front rocker cover and inspected everything, all good
- new s&s lifters
- adjusted SE quick pushrods at 2.5, 2.75, and 3.25 turns, no effect
- pulled primary and verified tensioner is good
- compensator is in good health and bolt and nut were still torqued properly
- readjusted clutch and added new primary fluids
- checked heat shields
- checked front motor mount
- checked floorboards
the remaining items i need to do:
- pull rear rocker cover to inspect
- try to tighten rear drive belt a bit
the drive belt is adjusted to about 7/16" which is a little loose for an FLTRX. it doesn't sound like a belt slapping.
i'm thinking it's clutch/drive related since i can't replicate the sound unless the drivetrain is under power. it is hard to pinpoint the location of the sound and sounds like primary chain slap or noise from rockers/lifters. however, i can't replicate those sounds when in neutral so am thinking it is not those things. from my thinking gotta be drive related.
any ideas? anything else to check?
2012 FLTRX - stage 1.5 headwork, dragos 580 cams, 10.25 comp, FM stage 1 intake, dragula 2, TTS, 13" windvest, 14" evil apes, JRI 12" shocks, progressive monotubes, hertz and alpine, hawg wired amp, custom LED gauges, custom dynamics LED signals, lots o' powder coat
San Diego, CA