S&S Vs. Zippers - Road Glide Forums
Engine Related Engine Builds and more for Road Glides

 13Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The Free State
Posts: 337
S&S Vs. Zippers

Hello fellow RG riders. I have been very busy with work and family the last few months so I haven't been on this site much. I also know there may be a thread on what I am about to ask, but I am unable to find it so bare with me.

I have a 2013 RG with a little over 20K on it at this time. I know not many miles compared to a lot of you, but I have a company car so I don't drive it to work and I was down a lot the past couple of years because of back surgery. But I am doing a few winter projects and since the wife is not paying attention right now I am going to spend some money on my engine. A local retailer/shop is offering the S&S Power Package Big Bore 110 inch w/ 585 chain drive cams for a reasonable price. In addition I would have to purchase another tuner and a few additional small items to complete this install. Their site claims 101 HP and 118 FT. But I am also near Zippers Performance and they have a complete 107 inch "Sport" set up that would include everything including the tuner for $500 more. I will have a competent shop that I have been going to for over 20 years do the work and I will be keeping the V&H 2-2 exhaust system I have. I'm not really chasing numbers, as I am not a redline type rider, no burnouts or wheelies. Normally the wife and I and touring type runs. A couple of interstate runs a year with the boys to make me feel like I am still under (30), at least until I get home and realize how tired and sore I am.

What I am actually asking is, anyone have experience with either of these two kits? Any builders have suggestions?

Thoughts???

Hawkman
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017 Lagauna Orange FLTRX, 2013 Candy Orange Road Glide Custom (traded), 2010 Ultra Classic (traded), 2004 Classic (sold to little brother), 1999, Classic (traded), 1999 Road King (best handling so far), 1994 Softail Custom (traded), 1974 Superglide (I miss her still).

Last edited by Hawkman; 12-27-2017 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Additional statement
Hawkman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 12:06 PM
Life Member
 
Thermodyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 1,765
Garage
It all depends on what you are wanting from the scooter. 101 is doable from a 103 with just cams. And no idea as to which kits you're referencing.

107-110 difference is not going to be noticeable from the seat, so it's the rest of the package that you'll need to look at. You'll need to compare them side by side and see which one has the best bang for the buck. Take a look at the 110 upgrade kits from the MoCo too. The Tire Shredder is prolly the one that is the most realistic as for as what you end up needing.

A note of caution, spending all that money to put 100+ horses on top of an oem crank is a risk.
Mike U and neverdone like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thermodyne is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 04:04 PM
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Redneck Riviera
Posts: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
Hello fellow RG riders. I have been very busy with work and family the last few months so I haven't been on this site much. I also know there may be a thread on what I am about to ask, but I am unable to find it so bare with me.

I have a 2013 RG with a little over 20K on it at this time. I know not many miles compared to a lot of you, but I have a company car so I don't drive it to work and I was down a lot the past couple of years because of back surgery. But I am doing a few winter projects and since the wife is not paying attention right now I am going to spend some money on my engine. A local retailer/shop is offering the S&S Power Package Big Bore 110 inch w/ 585 chain drive cams for a reasonable price. In addition I would have to purchase another tuner and a few additional small items to complete this install. Their site claims 101 HP and 118 FT. But I am also near Zippers Performance and they have a complete 107 inch "Sport" set up that would include everything including the tuner for $500 more. I will have a competent shop that I have been going to for over 20 years do the work and I will be keeping the V&H 2-2 exhaust system I have. I'm not really chasing numbers, as I am not a redline type rider, no burnouts or wheelies. Normally the wife and I and touring type runs. A couple of interstate runs a year with the boys to make me feel like I am still under (30), at least until I get home and realize how tired and sore I am.

What I am actually asking is, anyone have experience with either of these two kits? Any builders have suggestions?

Thoughts???
For your usage I'd recommend the S&S 110 Kit...

Whatever you choose the 2-2 pipes are going to be a handicap...

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

'09 SERG 117/DD7 "THE SHORT BUS"
HeatWave is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The Free State
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
It all depends on what you are wanting from the scooter. 101 is doable from a 103 with just cams. And no idea as to which kits you're referencing.

The S&S kit 110 inch kit list the HP at 101.

107-110 difference is not going to be noticeable from the seat, so it's the rest of the package that you'll need to look at. You'll need to compare them side by side and see which one has the best bang for the buck. Take a look at the 110 upgrade kits from the MoCo too. The Tire Shredder is prolly the one that is the most realistic as for as what you end up needing.

A note of caution, spending all that money to put 100+ horses on top of an oem crank is a risk.
My tech is saying something very similar. He like and deals with Zippers a lot, but suggest that if I am going to spend the money for the upgrade let Zippers do the work to include upgrading the crank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatWave View Post
For your usage I'd recommend the S&S 110 Kit...

Whatever you choose the 2-2 pipes are going to be a handicap...
The more I read and listen to those who know much more than me, for my style of riding both of these kits may be more than I truly need. I don't really ride in a style to utilize what these kits bring to the table...I'm a put the feet up on the hwy pegs, crank up some rode tunes and enjoy the scenery type of rider these days.

Probably just gonna do cams, lifters, adjustable rods, and a new tuner and enjoy the ride.

Thanks guys and Happy New Year.
MightyWhitey and johnnynitro like this.

Hawkman
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017 Lagauna Orange FLTRX, 2013 Candy Orange Road Glide Custom (traded), 2010 Ultra Classic (traded), 2004 Classic (sold to little brother), 1999, Classic (traded), 1999 Road King (best handling so far), 1994 Softail Custom (traded), 1974 Superglide (I miss her still).
Hawkman is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 05:50 PM
Life Member
 
MightyWhitey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Stanwood,Wa
Posts: 1,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
My tech is saying something very similar. He like and deals with Zippers a lot, but suggest that if I am going to spend the money for the upgrade let Zippers do the work to include upgrading the crank.



The more I read and listen to those who know much more than me, for my style of riding both of these kits may be more than I truly need. I don't really ride in a style to utilize what these kits bring to the table...I'm a put the feet up on the hwy pegs, crank up some rode tunes and enjoy the scenery type of rider these days.

Probably just gonna do cams, lifters, adjustable rods, and a new tuner and enjoy the ride.

Thanks guys and Happy New Year.
Good choice Sir. 👍🏻 Just keep in mind that a good dyno tune can make a world of difference over a canned map for your tuner.
madmat and johnnynitro like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MightyWhitey is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The Free State
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyWhitey View Post
Good choice Sir. 👍🏻 Just keep in mind that a good dyno tune can make a world of difference over a canned map for your tuner.
There is a shop about 30 minutes from my house that gets very good reviews for their engine work and tuning. After I do my cams, still not sure which one, I will have it dyno tuned by this shop.
MightyWhitey likes this.

Hawkman
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017 Lagauna Orange FLTRX, 2013 Candy Orange Road Glide Custom (traded), 2010 Ultra Classic (traded), 2004 Classic (sold to little brother), 1999, Classic (traded), 1999 Road King (best handling so far), 1994 Softail Custom (traded), 1974 Superglide (I miss her still).
Hawkman is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 10:29 PM
Grey beard
 
Desertwndrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Washington, Utah
Posts: 1,241
Garage
I love S&S products, however if I lived close to Zippers I’d probably go that route. I try to work face to face as often as I can.
madmat and turbochrisb like this.

2019 RGS, 2016 RGS, 2015 RGS
Desertwndrr is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 10:09 AM
Life Member
 
Thermodyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 1,765
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
There is a shop about 30 minutes from my house that gets very good reviews for their engine work and tuning. After I do my cams, still not sure which one, I will have it dyno tuned by this shop.
Where abouts are you in the Free State? Or should I say the SRoM.

The kits don't take a huge amount of set up skill. Just a competent wrench who has the needed tools and the ability to check the workmanship on the parts. In particular, they need to be able to check the jugs in a set of plates.

If you go off and start mixing parts, then you'll need more skill on the wrench. Both with the planning and the assembly.

As far as the tune goes, I'd stick with the TMax from Zippers.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Thermodyne; 12-29-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Thermodyne is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The Free State
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
Where abouts are you in the Free State? Or should I say the SRoM.

The kits don't take a huge amount of set up skill. Just a competent wrench who has the needed tools and the ability to check the workmanship on the parts. In particular, they need to be able to check the jugs in a set of plates.

If you go off and start mixing parts, then you'll need more skill on the wrench. Both with the planning and the assembly.

As far as the tune goes, I'd stick with the TMax from Zippers.

I live in the southern part of The Old Line State, just off of Solomons Island.

Nope, not gonna mix parts, I'll go either S&S, or Zippers. Really leaning towards Zippers cause they are in the state and Danny F, owner, actually helped with my bike when it had an issue this past summer.
madmat likes this.

Hawkman
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017 Lagauna Orange FLTRX, 2013 Candy Orange Road Glide Custom (traded), 2010 Ultra Classic (traded), 2004 Classic (sold to little brother), 1999, Classic (traded), 1999 Road King (best handling so far), 1994 Softail Custom (traded), 1974 Superglide (I miss her still).
Hawkman is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 08:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SE Wi
Posts: 403
Check out Fuel Moto’s kits also, lots of happy campers using Jamie’s products. flhman
08Zinc likes this.
flhman is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD Screamin Eagle Ventilator vs. Zippers Max-Flow twistr Intake and Exhaust 7 11-08-2013 11:23 PM
D&D Fat Cat 2-1, Zippers ThunderMax, SE Air & SE204's capt3017 Road Glide Builds-Document your builds HERE --NEW 8 03-23-2012 07:47 AM
zippers roadgliderick ECM/Fuel Management systems 5 11-23-2010 09:22 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome