Not a fan of the gear ratio between 2nd and 3rd - Road Glide Forums
Engine Related Engine Builds and more for Road Glides

 13Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
hockeyfamily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: SoCal
Posts: 11
Not a fan of the gear ratio between 2nd and 3rd

Anyone else bothered by this...

Making normal right hand or left hand turns on the roads, on my 2015 RGS, I seem to want to be in a gear someone between 2nd and 3rd.

2nd was always best for me on my '06 and '07 touring and softail bikes. Not overly aggressive on the turns, maybe somewhere between 25~30 mph ?? Not sure.

If I'm in 3rd, I'm lugging the engine coming out of the turns. But shifting down to 2nd I'm engine breaking hard coming into the turn.
This is my first hydraulic clutch HD. I don't seem to have a good feel for feathering the clutch when down shifting.

I don't know the actual gear ratio's or how they differ for the different years and tranny's. It's just what I'm experiencing.
I've been riding bikes since 1965 or so. Including Dirt, Street, Sport, Cruisers. Just thinking of the mileage I've put on some of my past bikes (the ones with speedo's), I've probably got well over 400k miles on two wheels.
But maybe I can still learn some things.
What am I doing wrong?
Justin29365 likes this.
hockeyfamily is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 05:44 PM
Prospect
 
gldlver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfamily View Post
Anyone else bothered by this...

Making normal right hand or left hand turns on the roads, on my 2015 RGS, I seem to want to be in a gear someone between 2nd and 3rd.

2nd was always best for me on my '06 and '07 touring and softail bikes. Not overly aggressive on the turns, maybe somewhere between 25~30 mph ?? Not sure.

If I'm in 3rd, I'm lugging the engine coming out of the turns. But shifting down to 2nd I'm engine breaking hard coming into the turn.
This is my first hydraulic clutch HD. I don't seem to have a good feel for feathering the clutch when down shifting.

I don't know the actual gear ratio's or how they differ for the different years and tranny's. It's just what I'm experiencing.
I've been riding bikes since 1965 or so. Including Dirt, Street, Sport, Cruisers. Just thinking of the mileage I've put on some of my past bikes (the ones with speedo's), I've probably got well over 400k miles on two wheels.
But maybe I can still learn some things.
What am I doing wrong?
Coming off a TC88B from 2002, the clutch and shifting was the absolute hardest thing for me to get used to on the M8, 5K later and Im still finding myself occasionally looking down to see what gear I'm in because it feels so different than the TC.

Practice makes perfect!!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gldlver is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 07:36 PM
Member
 
BigBlockBobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 467
On my 18 RGS I tend to make turns between 15-20 mph in 2nd gear.
geo8866 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions.
BigBlockBobby is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 07:19 AM
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: St. Paul, Mn.
Posts: 1,397
Garage
I see a Baker DD7 in your future. I loved going from 5 to 6 on my EVO Softail.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

" 4 Wheels move the body, 2 Wheels move the soul"

2015 Road Glide Special "Amber Whiskey"
Buzzy is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 08:46 AM
Life Member
 
SteadyEddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
I see a Baker DD7 in your future.
Unless you are beefing your motor to over 130/130......this is overkill - The DD7 is a monster of a trans with 1st being just a creeper gear - Also, depending on your build, this trans does NOT like hi rev downshifts so engine braking needs to be precise as can be - Baker is an exceptional Mfg but the DD7 has its place in the line up.....if considering a swap, I would look the The Grudge or even the old Baker 6 if it still is in Production

That and you lose all gear indication on your dials...other than 1st and 6th which is actually 7th.......anything in-between is non visible unless you go aftermarket on your instruments too
RGKen likes this.

- Just Because I Wander Means Not That I am Lost -
SteadyEddie is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:05 AM
Life Member
 
08Zinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 2,073
Garage
I must be doing something different as I have not noticed much difference in turns between my 05, 08, 11, and 15 touring bikes. Love taking corners and curves in all of them.
smitty901 and glide69 like this.

Blessings, Zinc -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"But when I leave I want to go out like Elijah, with a whirlwind to fuel my chariot of fire." Rich Mullins
08Zinc is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:29 AM
Life Member
 
glide69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 5,376
I hardly even use the clutch when shifting.. M-8's and the hydraulic clutch is so much smoother than the TC and cable clutch was...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 FLTRXS Wicked Red
glide69 is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:40 AM
Life Member
 
RGKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 3,950
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Zinc View Post
I must be doing something different as I have not noticed much difference in turns between my 05, 08, 11, and 15 touring bikes. Love taking corners and curves in all of them.
I would bet that if you had gone straight from the 05' to the 15' you would have noticed the difference. There were small changes in ratio throughout the years you just mentioned so you took baby steps up to what you ride now.

08'

1st/10.110
2nd/6.958
3rd/4.953
4th/3.862
5th/3.150


07'-13'

1st/9.312
2nd/6.421
3rd/4.774
4th/3.926
5th/3.279
6th/2.790


14' & up

1st/9.594
2nd/6.65
3rd/4.939
4th/3.999
5th/3.407
6th/2.875

2018 FLTRXS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RGKen is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:45 AM
Prospect
 
gldlver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGKen View Post
I would bet that if you had gone straight from the 05' to the 15' you would have noticed the difference. There were small changes in ratio throughout the years you just mentioned so you took baby steps up to what you ride now.

08'

1st/10.110
2nd/6.958
3rd/4.953
4th/3.862
5th/3.150


07'-13'

1st/9.312
2nd/6.421
3rd/4.774
4th/3.926
5th/3.279
6th/2.790


14' & up

1st/9.594
2nd/6.65
3rd/4.939
4th/3.999
5th/3.407
6th/2.875
^^^^^ YUP

I went from a 2002 to a 2018...WOW the Hyd clutch and Tranny is well "Weird"


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gldlver is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 10:39 AM
Life Member
 
08Zinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 2,073
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGKen View Post
I would bet that if you had gone straight from the 05' to the 15' you would have noticed the difference. There were small changes in ratio throughout the years you just mentioned so you took baby steps up to what you ride now.
You may very well be right.The changes were gradual enough that there was no real learning curve needed. Interesting look at the ratio differences. Thanks for posting that.
RGKen likes this.

Blessings, Zinc -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"But when I leave I want to go out like Elijah, with a whirlwind to fuel my chariot of fire." Rich Mullins
08Zinc is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
gear ratio change ironmike666 Tech Area 4 08-09-2015 11:19 AM
TBW NOT working for 3rd time. zombie Controls & Handlebars 8 04-13-2014 06:09 PM
6th Gear Light Flashing on downshift into 2nd MotDab Troubleshooting for Road Glides 4 09-05-2013 03:21 PM
2007 R.G. Gear Ratio Project myelenore *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 5 01-10-2013 12:21 PM
A 3rd Regulator- I hope not??? ReferJohn Troubleshooting for Road Glides 1 09-23-2012 10:21 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome