Well I am somewhat reluctant to post this as I am not proud of what I did but I have to share how lucky I ended up getting.
I went to install the SE Hp 462 cam and when I went to pull the inner cam bearing it came apart on me. I've pulled many bearings and I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. Some of the needle bearing stuck to the puller and fell on my lift while others stuck in the oil still in the hole. I quickly grabbed my magnet and collected all the needle bearings and bits of broken up cage bits that I could see. I then re-inserted the puller to get the frame of the bearing out and to my surprise it came out very easily. I was expecting the puller to just bend it and not be able to grab without the bearings but it came right out. Ok... this is not the part that I was referring to in my opening statement, there's more. I then collected all the needle bearing and put them in my magnetic tray. I then counted the spaces on the outer cage rings still in the frame and I counted 24. I then grabbed a stock cam bearing that I had pulled from my M8 FXFBS and verified that there should be 24 needle bearings. So I count the loose needle bearings in my try and count 19. My stomach started to turn but I was optimistic and just started a thorough search around the lift and my tools. Found one on the lift over to the right and 2 more in the oil in the cam chest and that makes 22. Now I just need to find 2 more! Well after an exhaustive search I came up with 0. Now it is time to come to the realization that I might as well start tearing every thing down and see if I can get in there and find them through the cylinder bore holes in the case and if not pull it out of the bike and split the cases. Way better option than granading the motor. Not yet willing to give in to tearing the motor down, over the next couple of days I tried every way possible to flush things to the pipe plug hole either through the cam bearing hole or the CKP hole. Then multiple attempts with a small strong magnet on a piece of wire with nothing to show for it. Now at this point I'm even starting to doubt that they even fell in the case as one did drop off of the puller and bounced on my lift and there is the possibility that 2 more could have fallen and bounce somewhere out of sight. Well I just left the bike setting on my lift for a few days while trying to come up with some way to get those 2 little gremlins without tearing the motor apart. well I went to Home depot and was looking in the magnets section for something that might help and I found these little Neodymium washer like magnets that are very strong. Tried a few methods with wire and picture hanging cable to get those litte magnets in there to fish around but it was near impossible as they just wanted to stick to the flywheel. I then stuck one to the pipe plug just messing around while I was trying to figure out what to do, or basically decide to just suck it up and start tearing it down. The I came up with the dumbest hair brained idea to glue one of those magnets to the pipe plug and then put a pipe screen (Witches Hat) in the scavenge inlet of the oil pump coming from the crankcase then put the bike back together and run it. With a small miracle the needle bearings will find their way to the passage past the pipe plug and if the magnet doesn't catch them the pipe screen will and at least they wouldn't destroy the oil pump and ultimately the engine. That is of course if they don't find their way to something in the crankcase and do some damage there. My main concern still was them getting to the oil pump and that there wasn't as much of a chance they would get into something in the crankcase. I hoped.
Cut to the chase….
Put everything back together, filled her with oil, re-flashed the MAP and now comes the moment of truth. I hit the start button and she fired right up. First thing I noticed was that how the cam really woke up the SE Street Cannons and High Flow exhaust. It no longer resembles the stock exhaust at idle! Very nice sound to it now even with the CATS in the slip-ons. I let her idle for a minute or two then shut it down. Cleaned up some tools and then got dressed to go for a ride and see what happens. Warmed up the bike on a short ride around the neighborhood and rechecked the oil level. Topped her off and then took her out for the most tense 10mi ride I've ever been on. I was listening for ANY weird sound every second. Got her back home without issue and let her idle for a minute or so before I shut her down then back on the lift she went. Put a catch container under the pipe plug and removed the plug. About 6-8 ounces of hot oil just poured out and I looked at the pipe plug I was holding and there were 2 of the most beautiful little needle bearings you could imagine stuck side by side onto the magnet! I honestly felt like I had won the lottery.
If this had been someone else's bike that I was working on I would have never tried this but because it was mine I was willing to take the gamble. Had it not worked I would have just built something from the crank up only much stronger and faster than she is now.
Now that I can relax and enjoy the ride I can tell the power cam is a very noticeable improvement. Doesn't have the sit you back in the seat getting on it from 2k rpms but as she is winding up it just keeps on pulling and pulling until the speed limiter and it hits it pretty hard. Running 70-80mph on the highway and getting on it is pretty fun and plenty of passing power. Not a bad improvement for the little money I had to spend. Despite the drama. Lol!
BTW... I did add a few more things while I had her on the lift.
AIM Light Force Clutch Slave Cylinder
Red front brake calipers
Black CVO rear fender protectors
Red SE plug wires
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Mako Fade Shark added Tour Pak with pass backrest-drivers backrest-pass floorboards-saddle bag guards