Cam suggestions for 2015 CVO 117" kit - Road Glide Forums
Engine Related Engine Builds and more for Road Glides

 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Thermodyne
  • 2 Post By Thermodyne
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Grey beard
 
Wildman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cle Elum, WA
Posts: 1,358
Cam suggestions for 2015 CVO 117" kit

Howdy everyone,
Well I have a new to me 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra that I am getting the SE 117" kit installed on.
https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...erformance-kit

I'm also having V&H Power Duals header pipe and Khrome Werks mufflers installed.

OF course the kit is on back order right now until mid July. So while I wait for the kit to come in some have suggested that I buy different cams instead of using the SE-259E cams that come with the kit. I've been out of the motorcycle world for a few years so I need some help here. I remember back when I was doing the cams on my 103" that a lot of folks didn't like the SE cams.

So can someone explain what the issues are with the SE-259E came and then some suggestions on alternative cams for this kit? This winter I am thinking I'll remove the heads and send them out to be ported and polished.
This is a twin cooled cylinder head bike.

WILDMAN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scar's remind us where we have been they don't have to dictate where we're going.

1997 Jeep TJ SE
2011 FLTRU Road Glide Ultra
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom (Traded In)
2009 Buell XB12R Firebolt
2008 Honda TRX700XX
Wildman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: slc ut.
Posts: 539
some of the dyno sheets with the 259 vs cams with same lift show woods or Andrews to get higher numbers-I have run 2 Andrews cams -54H in 103 and 57H in 110-i don't like the se255 in the 110.have read that woods is noiser,can't say that I can compare.a fellow rider with a 96 upped to a 103 IV with the 259-it sounds pretty strong-he has put about 80000 miles since no problems-is the 117 kit in warrenty?that might be the deciding factor
diesel5 is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Grey beard
 
Wildman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cle Elum, WA
Posts: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel5 View Post
some of the dyno sheets with the 259 vs cams with same lift show woods or Andrews to get higher numbers-I have run 2 Andrews cams -54H in 103 and 57H in 110-i don't like the se255 in the 110.have read that woods is noiser,can't say that I can compare.a fellow rider with a 96 upped to a 103 IV with the 259-it sounds pretty strong-he has put about 80000 miles since no problems-is the 117 kit in warrenty?that might be the deciding factor
I bought a ESP to go with the bike. Figured better safe than sorry as far as once the 117" kit is done. Others had suggested I take a S&S cam & lifters in when I drop the bike off and sell the SE259. Also it was suggested that I change out the SE lifters.

I haven't been following the forums for a while so I don't know what issues others have had with SE parts.

WILDMAN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scar's remind us where we have been they don't have to dictate where we're going.

1997 Jeep TJ SE
2011 FLTRU Road Glide Ultra
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom (Traded In)
2009 Buell XB12R Firebolt
2008 Honda TRX700XX
Wildman is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:03 AM
Life Member
 
Thermodyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 1,756
Garage
I ran the 259e's in a stage 4 110. They made big power down low, but they were also ping monsters, and very hard starting with the ecr's.
I had to back out a lot of spark advance to control the ping, or run booster in the gas.

Swapped them out for a set of S&S 585 easy starts. Problems solved. Power comes on a little later, but lasts longer too. Starts easy, and no detonition issues.
Wildman likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thermodyne is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:09 AM
Grey beard
 
Little Wing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: oHio!
Posts: 1,201
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
I ran the 259e's in a stage 4 110. They made big power down low, but they were also ping monsters, and very hard starting with the ecr's.
I had to back out a lot of spark advance to control the ping, or run booster in the gas.

Swapped them out for a set of S&S 585 easy starts. Problems solved. Power comes on a little later, but lasts longer too. Starts easy, and no detonition issues.
man i wish they would have had easy starts when i had the 113 installed in my heritage. that monster bucks against the starter whenever it gets hot. also had to take advance out because of ping which made it even hotter. took her out for a spin yesterday in between rain drops. still a hoot to ride and let her breathe fire.

the '16 RGS i had pinged after i added slip-ons, too.

haven't had any problems with the M8 with ping or starting. guess the software is better suited to deal with more bottom end torque.

the '80 evo engine with an EV-27 still starts like a dream. tap the starter button and she comes alive immediately.

@Thermodyne which cam did you go with on your '18? saw your write-up on another thread.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

'18 FLTRX '04 BAR HOPPER '94 FLSTC THE BEST BIKE ...is the one you're on!!!
Little Wing is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:51 AM
Life Member
 
Thermodyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 1,756
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Wing View Post
man i wish they would have had easy starts when i had the 113 installed in my heritage. that monster bucks against the starter whenever it gets hot. also had to take advance out because of ping which made it even hotter. took her out for a spin yesterday in between rain drops. still a hoot to ride and let her breathe fire.

the '16 RGS i had pinged after i added slip-ons, too.

haven't had any problems with the M8 with ping or starting. guess the software is better suited to deal with more bottom end torque.

the '80 evo engine with an EV-27 still starts like a dream. tap the starter button and she comes alive immediately.

@Thermodyne which cam did you go with on your '18? saw your write-up on another thread.
Torque cam, S&S 465C. Not really looking for 120/120 out of this scooter, just wanted it to have some extra guts down where it cruises. And hopefully it will run cooler. It was just as hot running as my 103 was new. Just not as pissy about it.

I went S&S for everything. Pump, plate, tappets, cam, cuffs and cans. I did use Fuelmoto pushrods and head pipe. Topped it off with a Thundermax. I have a Ness breather for it, one that has a full backing plate but uses the oem lid. Got a little work to do on it before I install it.
Little Wing and duglauraflht like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thermodyne is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome