super hot; weird noises on shutdown - Road Glide Forums
Engine Related Engine Builds and more for Road Glides

 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 18
super hot; weird noises on shutdown

2017 RGS.

Just installed air cleaner
new 14" KST bars
engine black out kit

started the bike up after all that and the idle shot up to 3k on start then slowed down to a steady 2 for a bit. Shit it down and back up again idled at 1500-1800 and the header got red hot. Upon shut down the bike made a weird noise like the rings sliding down the jug with no oil kinda noise. Opened the hose to the oil cooler on both side of the head and a little oil came out.

I wanted to get a video but was scared of running it again as it was very hot. This was all at idle and for only about 2 minutes of run time.

Question is.... why would it be running so hot? Why would the idle be so high and surge from 1500-1800? How much oil should be in the oil lines when the bike is off? The noise upon shut down was the scariest thing.

I will try to get a video tomorrow!
any suggestions as to where i should start?
brainer23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:03 PM
Life Member
 
RGKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 3,947
Garage
Are you sure nothing was lose in the A/C and could have been suck into the throttle body? I would start with pulling the A/C cover and filter off and start inventorying everything.
BH#103 likes this.

2018 FLTRXS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RGKen is online now  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGKen View Post
Are you sure nothing was lose in the A/C and could have been suck into the throttle body? I would start with pulling the A/C cover and filter off and start inventorying everything.
you could be right. i remember putting the SE AC on and it wouldn’t seat right and i had to really crank the bolts to seat it. i may have cracked something in the throttle body.

would that cause the engine to run hot?
brainer23 is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:22 AM
Prospect
 
Trendkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 210
I'd start with dismantling the air cleaner and give your throttle body a VERY good once over. If that air cleaner wasn't seated properly, or, god forbid, you've cracked that PLASTIC throttle body, that lets in more air and the motor is reacting to it and the ecm is trying to get it under control. Especially in the throttle body, as in ALL things on a bike motor, if you're getting resistance then something isn't right. Back the screws/bolts out, make sure everything is kosher, and try again.
BH#103 likes this.

2018 Road Glide Special in Bonneville Salt Pearl - Stage II Power, SVT Boneshaker exhaust
Trendkill is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:47 AM
Member
 
immo2896's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: alabama
Posts: 479
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainer23 View Post
you could be right. i remember putting the SE AC on and it wouldn’t seat right and i had to really crank the bolts to seat it. i may have cracked something in the throttle body.

would that cause the engine to run hot?
absolutely.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
immo2896 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:36 AM
Life Member
 
Thermodyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 1,756
Garage
Check it for trouble codes first. Be ready to write them down as there might be a few. If there are codes, sort them out first. Changing bars often causes issues.

Then I would have a look at the air breather. The breather itself is not going to cause this, but a bad install job could. There is a harness that could be pinched. And there is the issue of the steel support bracket, some breathers keep it, some discard it. Getting that wrong could cause a high idle condition. And a couple of minutes at 2500 sitting still on a cold start could turn the pipes red. You really should get in the habit of having a fan ready to blow air on it. If you got the support bracket part messed up, its real easy to break those plastic manifolds.

I have no idea about the noises, but it's not dry rings. Might have been the stepper motor returning the throttle blade to the original park position. Or not.......

And I have no idea as to what a blackout kit is. In my day it was covers for the lamps.
No not really, but what did you black out? Just shields? Or cam covers and rocker boxes and such?
BH#103 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thermodyne is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:31 PM
Life Member
 
Big_gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: GA.
Posts: 8,040
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
Check it for trouble codes first. Be ready to write them down as there might be a few. If there are codes, sort them out first. Changing bars often causes issues.

Then I would have a look at the air breather. The breather itself is not going to cause this, but a bad install job could. There is a harness that could be pinched. And there is the issue of the steel support bracket, some breathers keep it, some discard it. Getting that wrong could cause a high idle condition. And a couple of minutes at 2500 sitting still on a cold start could turn the pipes red. You really should get in the habit of having a fan ready to blow air on it. If you got the support bracket part messed up, its real easy to break those plastic manifolds.

I have no idea about the noises, but it's not dry rings. Might have been the stepper motor returning the throttle blade to the original park position. Or not.......

And I have no idea as to what a blackout kit is. In my day it was covers for the lamps.
No not really, but what did you black out? Just shields? Or cam covers and rocker boxes and such?
What he said ^^^ get a cheap box fan to blow on the bike when idling in the garage.

2010 FLTRX , Stage 1, 13" Madstad, Mono tubes, SuperShox, Heritage style bars. Alpine CDE-HD149BT,Soundstream Picasso Nano Series PN4.520 , 5X7 and 6.5 Infinity Kappa speakers
If I have to explain ,you wouldn't under stand anyway.
Big_gary is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:11 PM
Life Member
 
BH#103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,797
I'm going to take a stab at this and say that this is why you always read the instructions even if you wrench for a living. The metal bracket on the throttle body required removal and the intake was installed without it being removed. Quite possibly cracked the intake and the throttle body.
RGKen and Jeff_S like this.

2019 Silver Flux/Black Fuse FLTRU
"SLIVER"
BH#103 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH#103 View Post
I'm going to take a stab at this and say that this is why you always read the instructions even if you wrench for a living. The metal bracket on the throttle body required removal and the intake was installed without it being removed. Quite possibly cracked the intake and the throttle body.
Bingo. I took it apart and saw the damn bracket still there. Few beers too many?
brainer23 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:44 PM
Life Member
 
BH#103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainer23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH#103 View Post
I'm going to take a stab at this and say that this is why you always read the instructions even if you wrench for a living. The metal bracket on the throttle body required removal and the intake was installed without it being removed. Quite possibly cracked the intake and the throttle body.
Bingo. I took it apart and saw the damn bracket still there. Few beers too many?
Inspect everything and if all is good, remove the bracket and reassemble. Let us know the outcome.

2019 Silver Flux/Black Fuse FLTRU
"SLIVER"
BH#103 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome