Road Glide banner

First long trip on the Road Glide

3K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Paul On The Run 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got home today from a 10 day, 3200 mile trip. Headed west and north to Glacier National Park. Started on the east side of Glacier and went up into Alberta and across Crowsnest Pass into British Columbia. Then back down into the US and into West Glacier and across Logan Pass/Going to the Sun Road.

The wife opted to fly into Great Falls and did the Glacier/Canada portion of the trip with me. She had never done a long ride and enjoyed the 4 days of riding, but was happy to hop a plane home while I rode east. We also took an evening Red Bus Tour through Glacier so I could enjoy some of the scenery too. On the way back, I took the Bear Tooth Highway and stopped in Cody, WY, then over Big Horn Pass and I-90 back to South Dakota.

Pretty warm ride all around. Needed the leather jackets in the AM in Canada, and the early morning ride across Going to the Sun Road, but other than that, it was toasty warm the entire trip. Arrived back in eastern SD today to 100+ heat with nasty humidity. Yuck.

I absolutely love the Road Glide... wish I could do a couple more of these trips this summer, but that evil thing called "work" always gets in the way. :p

Here are some photos from the trip...

http://s726.photobucket.com/albums/...slideshow&track=share_email_album_view_click*

See less See more
#3 ·
I have been doing at least one 3K mile+ trip every summer since I got the RG. I look forward to hitting the road every year. Like you, I wish it were possible to take a couple trips, but I have to pay for them some how.:(

The RG is just meant to log mile after mile on the open road.

#6 ·
I agree with you DakotaRob. Niki and I had the opportunity to put on 3,300 miles in 9 days and hook up with the Gypsy Tour group for a couple days in NOLA. This bike is a blast to ride especially on long rides.

Glad to hear your trip turned out well.

#7 ·
Awesome pics. That is what it is all about. I to am getting ready to take my first long road trip on my 2012 RGU. Riding to Sturgis the long way from Houston. Gonna be a good ride with great friends. I can't wait.

#9 ·
Spent some time last night cleaning the Road Glide... What a mess! It's gonna take some work, but it's kind of fun thinking about where all the dirt came from. :)

Lost a bolt that holds the right rear tour pack brace to the rear fender. Also missing the bolt that holds the front left side saddle bag mounting bracket. That one is probably my fault since I was messing with that before I left. Encountered some pretty rough construction zones in Montana, surprised I didn't have anything else missing.

Oh, and my lighter is gone too... I think I'll just find a cover for that since I never use the lighter anyway.

#10 ·
Glad you enjoyed your visit north of the border. Looks like you had great weather in the mountains which makes for way better memories. I live three hours away from the Alberta/British Columbia Rockies. A black cloud literaly follows me to the mountains ...... My past trips have seen torrential rains and the occasional snowflake.

If I even 'think' about going to the mountains it seems that dark clouds start forming immediately!! (sigh!)

NOTE: I am planning on riding the Jasper/Banff Highway in a couple of weeks...... this is just a headsup to other riders thinking of coming out this way who enjoy the opportunity of riding in the rain. :rolleyes:

#11 ·
We could really use some rain down here, would you like to head down this way too? ;)

We hope to make it up to Banff some day, might try and combine that with a trip to the Calgary Stampede.

#16 ·
Thanks for sharing, those are some awsome pics, the wife and I would love take a ride like that in the future.

#17 ·
Hey noticed you started out with a large bag on top of the tour pack and at end of photos a small one? what happened? shipped some stuff back home?

Beautiful pictures by the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.