Drive belt options - Road Glide Forums
 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
rlaf75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Hartford CT
Posts: 7,172
Drive belt options

I'm gonna be doing a motor swap in a few week and I'm looking to replace the drive belt since I'll have everything apart already. I'm NOT looking to convert to a chain but I'm wondering if theres anything better/stronger available other than a stock replacement belt. I've seen belts advertised as kevlar or carbon fiber or whatever but are they worth the money?

09 Mirage Orange Pearl

Some people just need a high-five. In the head. With a chair
rlaf75 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:50 PM
Life Member
 
RGKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 3,949
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaf75 View Post
I'm gonna be doing a motor swap in a few week and I'm looking to replace the drive belt since I'll have everything apart already. I'm NOT looking to convert to a chain but I'm wondering if theres anything better/stronger available other than a stock replacement belt. I've seen belts advertised as kevlar or carbon fiber or whatever but are they worth the money?
If you are sticking with belt drive I don't think there is any reason to look past the HD belt. I had 93k on my 2012 when I sold it and the last 47k I was running a 120ST with 132tq and I rode it like I stole it with the original belt. Always inspected it and never any issues. It is an extremely durable belt and the only ones I've ever heard of needing to be replaced either had well over 100k miles on it, was on a bike with 145Hp/145Tq and the rider did a lot of hole shots, or if it picked up a rock and it damaged the belt. Outside of that the best option if you are building high Hp/Tq and plan on abusing I would just switch to chain and not worry about it.
ironmark, rlaf75, glide69 and 1 others like this.

2018 FLTRXS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RGKen is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
rlaf75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Hartford CT
Posts: 7,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGKen View Post
If you are sticking with belt drive I don't think there is any reason to look past the HD belt. I had 93k on my 2012 when I sold it and the last 47k I was running a 120ST with 132tq and I rode it like I stole it with the original belt. Always inspected it and never any issues. It is an extremely durable belt and the only ones I've ever heard of needing to be replaced either had well over 100k miles on it, was on a bike with 145Hp/145Tq and the rider did a lot of hole shots, or if it picked up a rock and it damaged the belt. Outside of that the best option if you are building high Hp/Tq and plan on abusing I would just switch to chain and not worry about it.
Yeah I should have between 120 to 130tq when I'm done and I do ride it hard now in stock form. I figured since it'll be apart already I'd change the belt to be on the safe side since it has 60k on it and I should be close to doubling the power numbers. I guess the stock belts do hold up pretty good.

09 Mirage Orange Pearl

Some people just need a high-five. In the head. With a chair
rlaf75 is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:41 PM
Life Member
 
ironmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,528
I put a new belt on my bike when I did the engine swap and I stayed with the HD belt and when I took the old belt off it looked like new except for a little lighter color. I would recommend since you have it apart to put a new stator in the bike and new primary case bearings.
rlaf75, RGKen and BigWillieDP like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
08 FLTR candy red sunglo,with 2015 103 HO, V&H Dresser Duals with Monster Rounds, Power Vision tuner, Willy Shiny Wheels and Forks and a bunch of other stuff.
ironmark is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 12:38 PM
Life Member
 
Road dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,172
Good advice from IM, and yes I would stick with the stock belt also, extremely durable.

When all else fails, hell there is always beer!
Road dawg is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 03:33 PM
Life Member
 
BH#103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,812
Original belt or original replacement will serve you well, shouldn't have an issue.
rlaf75 and Smarty like this.

2019 Silver Flux/Black Fuse FLTRU
"SLIVER"
BH#103 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 04:49 AM
Hangaround
 
ER.RN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 63
Garage
I’m just curious, what would be the advantage to converting to a chain? Wouldn’t that just increase maintenance or is there some performance advantage?
ER.RN is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 05:39 AM
Life Member
 
RGKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 3,949
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER.RN View Post
I’m just curious, what would be the advantage to converting to a chain? Wouldn’t that just increase maintenance or is there some performance advantage?

Yes, the chain gives you more durability and it will also give you a little more instant Tq. There is more maintenance with the chain but for the guys that are going with higher performance engines, and are going to use the power, going chain drive is the best option.

2018 FLTRXS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RGKen is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 07:21 AM
Life Member
 
smitty901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 2,580
Common to hate on anything HD , but the belts are great. Only time you really see one fail is user issues. One on my 1996 is 22 years old still going. Have never had to replace one on any HD ever.
RGKen likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
smitty901 is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
rlaf75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Hartford CT
Posts: 7,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty901 View Post
Common to hate on anything HD , but the belts are great. Only time you really see one fail is user issues. One on my 1996 is 22 years old still going. Have never had to replace one on any HD ever.
There is no "hate" on anything HD. I'm simply trying to find out if there is something that might be better or stronger for the motor upgrade I'm doing. I'm trying to get as much info as possible because I'm looking to do it right the first time. The bikes gonna be apart so I'm gonna replace "wear" items as it goes back together
RGKen and flhman like this.

09 Mirage Orange Pearl

Some people just need a high-five. In the head. With a chair
rlaf75 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drive belt replacement Slider1156 Engine Related 7 11-16-2016 09:41 AM
Drive belt tension Chuck1073 *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 9 10-18-2016 09:03 PM
Knight prowler silent belt drive cam Straitline Engine Related 6 07-29-2015 12:57 PM
Every fourth tooth half missing on final drive belt ccallahan Tech Area 3 07-09-2015 09:19 AM
Drive belt question Boogitybob *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 5 05-09-2012 11:46 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome