Road Glide banner

Program 6.5 Premium Radio Ourselves?

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  nking262 
#1 ·
I'm beyond frustrated with issues on the new HD 6.5 Premium radio and having to run to a HD shop to have them fix/change the settings. They aren't trained very well, they really don't understand the thing (or computers and software in general), and I'm sick of their standard verbiage about having to charge to change settings because I have an aftermarket amp & speakers.

Is there anywhere that I can purchase the diag cable and the software to be able to view/change these settings myself?

The issue I have right now is my NAV system only shows a compass. Cannot even access settings of it. Called HD customer service, they said the wrong region is programmed in and I need to see the HD dealer. Who the hell has time to keep going back for that? The HD dealer told me they would flash the radio to the new 1.19.0 flash and it would fix it. I told them hell no. I've done that, it didn't fix it, and it made my audio sound like shit! I flashed back to the 1.18.3 and the audio is 100% better but NAV still doesn't work. It's a setting in the *programming*, nothing to do with the flash. The HD shop wants to charge to hook it up and look because I have aftermarket stuff. Total BS.

I'd like to be able to just do this myself. Anybody know where I can purchase that stuff?

As a side note: I feel like I owe the tech I spoke to an apology. He had to ask somebody else (once again because the techs aren't trained worth a shit) and I basically read him the riot act for his answer. Maybe a 12-pack will make him feel better.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd like to be able to do the same, but I suspect you'd have to find a bootleg copy.

#3 ·
That's a shame to be stuck to the dealer(s) for trivial crap like this. At this point, I know as much as they do (hell, maybe more?) as far as settings and what the radio needs. I can't stand going in there and having to hear their bullshit about not being supported because I have aftermarket audio stuff on the bike. What the hell do they think their Boom! stuff is? It's made by somebody else and just branded as HD.

#4 ·
Update:
Went back to the dealer, they checked the settings and the navigation was set to EXTERNAL rather than INTERNAL. Changed the setting and it's all good now. No charge.

With that said, I am still very interested to know if it's possible to do this outside of the dealership. What are the Indy shops doing? Running them to HD is my guess. This new computer/radio is like an additional built-in revenue stream for HD with the exception that the dealership wrenches make it sound like you are putting them out to have to work on it.

#8 ·
Effenglide ,,,,,,

this is a pretty big deal for all riders of 2014-2015 Harley Baggers ,,,,,,

what I do know from supervising the radio flashes now on more than 250 Harleys at the spring & summer rallies ,,, is that if the dealer simply follows the instructions EXACTLY here http://www.jmcorp.com/pdf/HarleyRadioFlashROKKER-PerformEXTREME--04-02-2015.pdf ,,,,, we can then adjust the amplifier's internal gain controls to give you the very best sound available ,,, or at least that "I" have heard ,,,,,

right before the Laconia rally "I" personally was able to get software programs & the exact cables to plug into the bike thru the left sidecover, so that I could manipulate the SPEAKERS TAB on the Harley digital technician software program ,,,,,,,

this allows me to now configure the speakers on the bike, turn on the front/rear fader etc on the Harley Rushmore Baggers ,,,,, with my own laptop computer ,,,,,,

next month I am supposed to be getting additional software updates, to allow me to access and configure the OPTIONS TAB thru this same software ,,,,,,

the company is DiagBike and they are out of CZ I think ,,,,,, but the initial software set-up pack and cable/driver kit will set you back about $1300 ,,,,,

once I get it ALL ,,, I am going to set up a test/programming fixture at J&M in Tucson, so that I can flash radios and basically eliminate the Harley dealer in this sequence of radio programming ,,,,,,,

now what we all need to do inside of our own cranial tissue is SEPARATE the on-line Harley radio updates that you perform with the USB stick download ,,, from the actual audio system configuration changes that are being done with the Harley technician radio FLASH, as it is a different deal all together ,,,,,,

we just updated all 4 J&M demo bikes last Friday via USB stick, from the Harley website, and it did NOT alter the critical audio system configuration settings in any way that I can find ,,,,,,,

our 4 J&M Harley demo bikes that will head to the Sturgis rally tomorrow ,,,, still sound great and are ready for all of you to listen to ,,,,,,

that is what I know ,,,,,,, more to learn I am sure ,,,,,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.