Charging system issues
2012 RG Custom. Had the original voltage regulator changed out under the recall just after buying the bike. No problems for two years and 10k miles. Then, this past weekend, got check engine and battery light. Voltage gauge was showing 11 or 12. Rev'ed engine, the lights went out and the voltage jumped to 14.5 or so. Road the 40 or 50 miles home with no further issues.
I went ahead and picked up a new regulator, but tried to do some troubleshooting last night, before I installed it - mixed results.
- Testing the voltage across the battery terminals with the bike off was in spec, according to the service manual.
- Testing voltage across the battery terminals with the bike running was slightly low - 14.2 or so.
- I turned the bike off, unplugged the stator plug from the regulator to check output of the stator. When I cranked the bike, it ran like sh*t, so I just shut it back down. Is this normal?
- Confused, but still wanting to accomplish something, I went ahead and installed the new regulator. Afterwards, voltage across the battery terminals with the bike running actually dropped to 13.9 or so.
So, a few questions:
1) Does revving the engine and having the CE and Bat light go out and the volt meter return to normal mean anything?
2) Should the bike run really poorly with the stator unplugged from the regulator?
3) Any thoughts on why the output would read lower after installing the new regulator? Can I deduce anything from this?
4) Anyone have definitive numbers for a 2012 RG and a plain english guide on troubleshooting this stuff? I have the service manual and it doesn't cover it. I have found multiple postings on multiple forums, but the numbers are all over the place.
Any help will be greatly appreciated...