NO OIL and no idiot light?? - Road Glide Forums
Troubleshooting for Road Glides List your Road Glide problems here, and DR. Ruth will answer them.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
motodrummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 255
Unhappy NO OIL and no idiot light??

While riding yesterday I noticed a really loud knock coming from engine and also noticed the oil pressure slowly fluctuating between 32 and 5. I figured either my oil pump was going bad or I had a clogged filter.

I checked the oil level when I got home and it was completely bone ass dry? How can these be and the idiot light not come on? it comes on when I turn the ignition on?


I checked the oil level in April and it was good, I have zero smoke coming out of the exhaust and no other indications of leaking oil. I leave it parked in my shed and there is no oil on the floor.

Is there another place this oil could be going? The bike has run great otherwise.

Any ideas or things to look for? I am thinking of just refilling with oil and monitoring it very closely. I changed the oil and filter in November and the bike was sitting till April before taking her out and riding her, so far it has about 3000 miles since last oil/filter change?
motodrummer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 08:37 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Fort Mill, SC
Posts: 32
Back when I had my first Harley in the 90's they had an issue with motor oil draining out into the primary. Just a thought given the lack of leaks or blue smoke.

Jeff
Jeff396 is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 09:45 AM
Life Member
 
BDMastiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 2,181
I'm guessing you should have heard your valve train clicking very loud and seen a drastic drop in oil pressure after being 1.5-2 quarts low. It's strange that there wasn't any indication until you were bone dry. I recommend you carry a quart of oil and a paper cone on your bike until you find the cause of the problem. Keep a close eye on the oil pressure gauge and listen to the sounds of your bike. I'm a novice mechanic so I won't make any recommendation about fixing it.

Just an after thought. You may want to use a motor oil with Zinc in it. It will protect your engine. Look into Brad Penn Oil (Formerly Kendall Oil).

2013 CVO Road Glide 110 Anniversary Edition
1996 Fatboy
BDMastiff is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
motodrummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDMastiff View Post
I'm guessing you should have heard your valve train clicking very loud and seen a drastic drop in oil pressure after being 1.5-2 quarts low. It's strange that there wasn't any indication until you were bone dry. I recommend you carry a quart of oil and a paper cone on your bike until you find the cause of the problem. Keep a close eye on the oil pressure gauge and listen to the sounds of your bike. I'm a novice mechanic so I won't make any recommendation about fixing it.

Just an after thought. You may want to use a motor oil with Zinc in it. It will protect your engine. Look into Brad Penn Oil (Formerly Kendall Oil).
Yeah to be honest I may have noticed a lil more noise than usual but ignored it like a moron. It would come and go and I do have a small squeal somewhere in the back of the bike that I been trying to catch so I was a little preoccupied with that. Harley oil is good, I mean if it ran that far with no oil I am thinking it is good stuff as now that I am aware of it I will not run it that low again.
motodrummer is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 10:41 AM
Life Member
 
HellInABucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff396 View Post
Back when I had my first Harley in the 90's they had an issue with motor oil draining out into the primary. Just a thought given the lack of leaks or blue smoke.
I wonder if its an inner primary seal or race leak?

motodrummer, you might crack open your derby cover to see whats going on...

2020 FLTRK - Roll away the dew...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HellInABucket is online now  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
motodrummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellInABucket View Post
I wonder if its an inner primary seal or race leak?

motodrummer, you might crack open your derby cover to see whats going on...
what should I expect to see normally if I open the derby cover? Should I get any fluid out at all on the kickstand?
motodrummer is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 10:46 AM
Life Member
 
Big_gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: GA.
Posts: 8,133
Garage
We're you drinking heavy when you changed the oil in November, and forgot to add the oil ?
How's it running ?

2010 FLTRX , Stage 1, 13" Madstad, Mono tubes, SuperShox, Heritage style bars. Alpine CDE-HD149BT,Soundstream Picasso Nano Series PN4.520 , 5X7 and 6.5 Infinity Kappa speakers
If I have to explain ,you wouldn't under stand anyway.
Big_gary is online now  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
motodrummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_gary View Post
We're you drinking heavy when you changed the oil in November, and forgot to add the oil ?
How's it running ?
While I cant completely rule that out it is very unlikely : ) It seemed to be running the same as always, did not notice any power loss or nothing like that
motodrummer is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 10:57 AM
Life Member
 
HellInABucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by motodrummer View Post
what should I expect to see normally if I open the derby cover? Should I get any fluid out at all on the kickstand?
Under normal circumstances (with no issues) you should only remove the derby cover while the bike is upright, not on the jiffy stand, otherwise you'll get oil running out of the primary because the normal level is right at the bottom lip of the derby cover opening.

So I would put it on a jack and check, if a lot of oil comes out while vertical, then you might have a problem.

2020 FLTRK - Roll away the dew...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HellInABucket is online now  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 01:12 PM
Life Member
 
Bleachey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Southside of Indianapolis
Posts: 1,598
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellInABucket View Post
Under normal circumstances (with no issues) you should only remove the derby cover while the bike is upright, not on the jiffy stand, otherwise you'll get oil running out of the primary because the normal level is right at the bottom lip of the derby cover opening.

So I would put it on a jack and check, if a lot of oil comes out while vertical, then you might have a problem.
.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg primary oil level on side stand111.jpg (79.8 KB, 68 views)
Bleachey is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low oil lamp / idiot light - 2018 M8 Beerme Engine Related 18 07-15-2018 04:17 PM
Dropped my 2010 FLTRX last Friday...I'm an idiot Chaz *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 27 08-18-2012 05:49 PM
Idiot ruined my windshield faststan Windshields 17 03-09-2012 11:03 AM
I'm an Idiot! hodgeaaco *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 14 09-20-2011 08:04 PM
No Cruise, No Brake Lights , engine light and lots of codes DonJulio Troubleshooting for Road Glides 4 07-24-2011 06:02 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome