Possible valve train noise - Road Glide Forums
Troubleshooting for Road Glides List your Road Glide problems here, and DR. Ruth will answer them.

 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
rlaf75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Hartford CT
Posts: 7,183
Possible valve train noise

I'm getting alil ticking sound which sounds like valve train noise in the higher rpm range every once in a while. It's not a hard engine knock but more of a tick. It's not too bad but I happened to notice it tonight on the way home from work. I know there's been people reporting lifters leaking down. It's a bone stock 96" with 45k miles that's never been opened up other than for compensator issues. Is there anything in particular I should look for? Note.. the bike runs great other than the occasional noise

09 Mirage Orange Pearl

Some people just need a high-five. In the head. With a chair
rlaf75 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 11:35 PM
Grey beard
 
lil chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 972
Garage
It's very possible that at 45k miles, you could use a new set of lifters. I'm assuming you are running the original lifters and they could be getting a little tired by now.

Lil Chief
rlaf75 likes this.

Famous Last Words: "Watch Me!"

2015 Denim Black RG, FM ss ceramic coated 2-1-2 pipe, White Bros Original E Series Mufflers, FM ac, PV Tuner
lil chief is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 06:23 AM
Life Member
 
HellInABucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 1,826
I would just ride the thing and turn up your stereo. These bikes just make a ton of noise and clatter. It used to drive me nuts, but everything's been fine after tens of thousands of miles, I've decided I cant let it bother me anymore.
Harleyagain and bigdoug1130 like this.

2020 FLTRK - Roll away the dew...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HellInABucket is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
rlaf75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Hartford CT
Posts: 7,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellInABucket View Post
I would just ride the thing and turn up your stereo. These bikes just make a ton of noise and clatter. It used to drive me nuts, but everything's been fine after tens of thousands of miles, I've decided I cant let it bother me anymore.
Normally I agree with you but this noise is brand new within the past 100 or so miles so I want to nip this in the bud before it becomes something more than a slight valve train noise

09 Mirage Orange Pearl

Some people just need a high-five. In the head. With a chair
rlaf75 is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
rlaf75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Hartford CT
Posts: 7,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil chief View Post
It's very possible that at 45k miles, you could use a new set of lifters. I'm assuming you are running the original lifters and they could be getting a little tired by now.

Lil Chief
That's what I was thinking. I know there's been some concerns about them failing. I also read a thread about automotive lifters can be swapped instead of "harley" lifters. I'm gonna have to dig that one back up and rifle through it again

09 Mirage Orange Pearl

Some people just need a high-five. In the head. With a chair
rlaf75 is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 08:24 AM
Grey beard
 
lil chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 972
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaf75 View Post
That's what I was thinking. I know there's been some concerns about them failing. I also read a thread about automotive lifters can be swapped instead of "harley" lifters. I'm gonna have to dig that one back up and rifle through it again
Honestly, I'd get some s&s standards or the comp cams 850-1 and be one & done with it. There's nothing wrong with the 850-1 lifters, and I think you can get em thru Summit Racing for like $17 each.
Lil Chief
FrankieB and rlaf75 like this.

Famous Last Words: "Watch Me!"

2015 Denim Black RG, FM ss ceramic coated 2-1-2 pipe, White Bros Original E Series Mufflers, FM ac, PV Tuner
lil chief is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 08:48 AM
Life Member
 
RGKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 3,949
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaf75 View Post
That's what I was thinking. I know there's been some concerns about them failing. I also read a thread about automotive lifters can be swapped instead of "harley" lifters. I'm gonna have to dig that one back up and rifle through it again
I think most of the concern was with the lifters in the 110"

I don't remember seeing any issues with the 96" engines and their lifters. I know I had 64k on mine when I traded it and it sounded and ran as good as it did when it had 20k on it. Did you by chance change helmets recently maybe due to warmer weather like from a 3/4 or full face to a 1/2? I know when I wear my modular for a while and then switch to a half I think "Holy cow this thing is noisy!" And then after a while I realize it's no louder than it was and it's not even that loud of a noise.

2018 FLTRXS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RGKen is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
rlaf75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Hartford CT
Posts: 7,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGKen View Post
I think most of the concern was with the lifters in the 110"

I don't remember seeing any issues with the 96" engines and their lifters. I know I had 64k on mine when I traded it and it sounded and ran as good as it did when it had 20k on it. Did you by chance change helmets recently maybe due to warmer weather like from a 3/4 or full face to a 1/2? I know when I wear my modular for a while and then switch to a half I think "Holy cow this thing is noisy!" And then after a while I realize it's no louder than it was and it's not even that loud of a noise.
I get what you're saying but I don't wear a helmet. This is definitely a new noise
RGKen likes this.

09 Mirage Orange Pearl

Some people just need a high-five. In the head. With a chair
rlaf75 is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
rlaf75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Hartford CT
Posts: 7,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil chief View Post
Honestly, I'd get some s&s standards or the comp cams 850-1 and be one & done with it. There's nothing wrong with the 850-1 lifters, and I think you can get em thru Summit Racing for like $17 each.
Lil Chief
The way I look at it is if I can put a set of lifters in it won't hurt even if that isn't my problem. I'm not easy on the bike and it owes me nothing. So for a few bucks and a couple hours of my time I'll go with a set of new lifters and see what happens

09 Mirage Orange Pearl

Some people just need a high-five. In the head. With a chair
rlaf75 is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 11:22 AM
Life Member
 
ironmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,528
Any chevy 350 LS1 lifter will work but you may want to get a mechanics stethoscope (cost $10 to $15) and listen for the source of the noise before assuming it is the lifters, noise has a funny way of traveling and it could be anything such as a loose exhaust baffle for example.
If the lifter bleeds down you will usually hear the ticking when the bike is first started after the engine has been sitting for awhile and the ticking will go away after the lifter pumps back up. If the roller bearing on the lifter is going bad you will hear more of a squeaking noise which usually happens at higher RPM but as the roller get worst it will happen at lower RPM too.
RoadRider likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
08 FLTR candy red sunglo,with 2015 103 HO, V&H Dresser Duals with Monster Rounds, Power Vision tuner, Willy Shiny Wheels and Forks and a bunch of other stuff.
ironmark is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compensator or valve train noise???? StGhost Engine Related 19 08-29-2018 09:16 PM
Valve train noise 1st Sgt Engine Related 11 01-15-2018 04:12 PM
Valve train noise thread sfcusaret2004 Engine Related 12 08-29-2016 04:09 AM
Valve intake noise/cam overload noise Budd559 Engine Related 9 02-15-2016 05:23 AM
Increase in Valve train noise when engine cold StriderJim Troubleshooting for Road Glides 8 10-07-2012 09:21 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome