Pulled the front ferring off today - Road Glide Forums
Troubleshooting for Road Glides List your Road Glide problems here, and DR. Ruth will answer them.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
lowdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Middle of a cornfield Iowa
Posts: 366
Pulled the front ferring off today

Had a problem with the right channel of the hog tunes amp and thought I would have to send it back. Well after getting it off I see that the last time my dealer was in there he must of accidently disconected the right speaker. Oh well easy fix. Taking the ferring off was really remarkable easyier than I thought.

One question though. The rubber strip that is on the edge of the ferring is coming lose and the glue that holds it on is creeping onto the paint. Any suggestions on this?? Just looks like a$$ I guess.
lowdog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Life Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 6,604
Rubber Strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdog View Post
Had a problem with the right channel of the hog tunes amp and thought I would have to send it back. Well after getting it off I see that the last time my dealer was in there he must of accidently disconected the right speaker. Oh well easy fix. Taking the ferring off was really remarkable easyier than I thought.

One question though. The rubber strip that is on the edge of the ferring is coming lose and the glue that holds it on is creeping onto the paint. Any suggestions on this?? Just looks like a$$ I guess.
It is pretty common for that to happen. Some have used a very small amount of black RTV, some have used just a drop of glue at the corners, some have used weather stripping to keep it in place. I am sure there are other suggestions that will come up. I used just a drop of glue at the points where it would not stay in place. For me that was at the top of the fairing at the starting point on both sides, that was 6 months ago and no problems since. Keep in mind the glue option will take a bit of more work to get it off if one needs to that; this is why I used just very small amount(I cleaned it before applying).
RDGL2009

Last edited by FLTRXS20; 10-20-2010 at 07:21 PM.
FLTRXS20 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Administrator
 
TracyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brandenburg, Ky
Posts: 5,841
Garage
I replaced mine when I bought the bike with new automotive door edging. Havent had an issue with it & its been on over a year.
TracyB is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
lowdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Middle of a cornfield Iowa
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyB View Post
I replaced mine when I bought the bike with new automotive door edging. Havent had an issue with it & its been on over a year.
how thick is it? is it thicker than the stock edging??
lowdog is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Prospect
 
HD-DOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tampa Bay Florida.
Posts: 293
I just removed mine and cleaned the glue off and did not replace it. Looks good to me. Doc
HD-DOC is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Administrator
 
TracyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brandenburg, Ky
Posts: 5,841
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdog View Post
how thick is it? is it thicker than the stock edging??
It is a little more substantial than factory as well as a little wider so I feel it covers better and stays on better. If memory serves, I think it was only about 10-12 bucks and theres plenty to do a couple of bikes with. Like I said, I put in on over a year ago and it has not even offered to come off.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
TracyB is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
lowdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Middle of a cornfield Iowa
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyB View Post
It is a little more substantial than factory as well as a little wider so I feel it covers better and stays on better. If memory serves, I think it was only about 10-12 bucks and theres plenty to do a couple of bikes with. Like I said, I put in on over a year ago and it has not even offered to come off.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Looks great. Thanks
lowdog is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Grey beard
 
Redfish-Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Posts: 1,361
Now that's a thought. Thanks Tracy.
Redfish-Joe is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Prospect
 
jbrushoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chico, Ca
Posts: 239
Hey Tracy that's some great info. Mines looking a little shabby think I'll give that a try.

06 Shark Fire Red Pearl
1997 FLSTS > looking for a new home
Jim
jbrushoe is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Hangaround
 
Teachu2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 122
I did the same on my '07 - works great. If you buy the small package (2 strips) make sure it's at least 26" long. The 24s are a bit short....
Teachu2 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I pulled the trigger on a new 13 today shameless *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 32 12-25-2013 06:03 PM
Pulled the trigger today LastLight *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 40 07-31-2013 05:27 PM
Pulled the trigger today.... killintime General Off-Topic Discussions 1 07-31-2013 11:26 AM
Pulled the trigger on new Rinehart xtreme 2-1 today! DED HD Intake and Exhaust 19 12-22-2010 05:28 AM
Painting the inner ferring lowdog Aftermarket Accessories 12 11-01-2010 04:08 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome