Overheated my glide today. Opinions?
On the 27th i was riding home to Chicago from Manitowoc, Wisconsin. The first half of the day was storms and cold, but down by Chicago it was 98 degrees and I was trapped in stop and go traffic for quite a while. I heard what I initially thought was valve clatter, then thought was engine knock. Not cool.
Then I noticed a loping idle and that my voltmeter was reading around 12.5, ranging up to 13.7 when under load. Crap. I kept a sharp eye on it, and then 20 minutes later it begged at 11.2, my check engine light came on as well as the red battery light. Crap.
I made it home, turned it off, let it sit for a few, and then restarted the bike. I fired, but not happily. I shut it down, let it be for 3 hours and then checked it again. This time it fired up like nothing was wrong. No more check engine light, voltmeter reading normal, no more loping / fluctuating idle, nothing.
Do I test it out and if it's ok, just put it down to overheating? Opinions?