12V/Cig plug cap - Road Glide Forums
Do-IT-Yourself For all those Do-it-yourself ideas that will save you some bucks

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
Paul's Road Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 2,202
Garage
12V/Cig plug cap

Well, not so much a tutorial, but after talking to a few guys and they mentioning how some people like to rip off the cigarette lighter from our bikes since it's so much easier than on an FLHX my b-law gave me an idea to just take a marine 12v socket plug and use the cap to close it off and leave the cig plug in the glove box a little more hidden or saddle bag. I for one don't smoke, but i don't like to have a hole in my fairing either. I think the pics are pretty self explanatory. Hope this helps someone




"Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -Jerry Reed.
Paul's Road Glide is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Life Member
 
OldNerdGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: St. Peters, MO
Posts: 3,426
When I had the fairing off to paint the inner, I replaced the lighter with a Stainless Steel one from a Marine supply shop. It has a flip up cap instead of the lighter plug. Just unscrewed the original and swapped in the Stainless one, no problemo.

In theory, Theory and Reality are the same. In reality, they are different.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OldNerdGuy is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
Paul's Road Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 2,202
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNerdGuy View Post
When I had the fairing off to paint the inner, I replaced the lighter with a Stainless Steel one from a Marine supply shop. It has a flip up cap instead of the lighter plug. Just unscrewed the original and swapped in the Stainless one, no problemo.
that's pretty sweet too.

"Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -Jerry Reed.
Paul's Road Glide is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Newbie
 
chopper72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: omaha ne
Posts: 19
Nice. I just spent 16.00 at the stealership to replace mine. Think i am going to take it back and get the marine cover.
chopper72 is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
Paul's Road Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 2,202
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper72 View Post
Nice. I just spent 16.00 at the stealership to replace mine. Think i am going to take it back and get the marine cover.
I had to replace mine to while I was cruising on the highway. Didn't dawn on me until about a few miles down and looked at my cig plug and noticed it was gone. It hit me in shin, but I didn't put two and two together then. Oh well, it won't happen again.

"Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -Jerry Reed.
Paul's Road Glide is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Peru, IN
Posts: 589
Why would it be easy to remove the cig lighter? If it's a pop in unit, couldn't it easily be replaced with the style that screws in? Or is there something extra special about a Harley cig lighter? Unless it's a special power port, all that happens is a hot wire and ground wire get connected and heat up.
Monkeyman is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Life Member
 
DreamRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 5,038
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul's Road Glide View Post
that's pretty sweet too.
Those are 2 great ideas! I'll be looking at that. I generally remove it because I plug my GPS there when going on long rides. I have noticed that the stock HD lighter does become lose after awhile and I always remember to nudge it back in a bit...but always wondered if and when it would simply POP-OUT on its own from the vibrations...here other's hear have that happen to them.
So I guess the best would be the PLUG and always leave it in the saddle bags.

DreamRider
TRADED the RoadGlide FLTRXSE CVO 12' - Cobalt Blue -
Traitor for a 2016 CRF1000 DCT Grey. Still coming to SWVIII!!!
Always Dreaming about the next L O N G ride
DreamRider is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
Paul's Road Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 2,202
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Why would it be easy to remove the cig lighter? If it's a pop in unit, couldn't it easily be replaced with the style that screws in? Or is there something extra special about a Harley cig lighter? Unless it's a special power port, all that happens is a hot wire and ground wire get connected and heat up.

Well, on the FLHX when you turn the handlebars down to lock the column its pushed against the tank so its really hard to reach down and pull it out, but on our roadies, its open to the elements of thiefism. mine didn't get stolen, but it vibrated out and this cap fits in pretty tight. Not sure if this is what your were asking.

"Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -Jerry Reed.
Paul's Road Glide is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Hangaround
 
koryu2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 74
Garage
Where did you get the socket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul's Road Glide View Post
Well, not so much a tutorial, but after talking to a few guys and they mentioning how some people like to rip off the cigarette lighter from our bikes since it's so much easier than on an FLHX my b-law gave me an idea to just take a marine 12v socket plug and use the cap to close it off and leave the cig plug in the glove box a little more hidden or saddle bag. I for one don't smoke, but i don't like to have a hole in my fairing either. I think the pics are pretty self explanatory. Hope this helps someone




2012 FLTRX Vivid Black "Black Ice"
V&H Monster Ovals, Chrome, Chrome Tips
V&H Power Dual Headers
HD Screaming Eagle Tuner
MO-FLOW Air Breather
koryu2u is online now  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Administrator
 
TracyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brandenburg, Ky
Posts: 5,833
Garage
I used a plug similar to that inside my glove box on my extra plug we installed.



And then I bought an LED flashlight from Super Bright Led to put in the stock lighter plug. Let me tell ya, this thing is bright. Its come in handy many times. They come in several colors too.


"All you touch & all you see is all your life will ever be"

05 RG 'Lymey'
11 RGU 'Clyde'
TracyB is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SE Phat Plug Wires or OEM Plug Wires wevsspot *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 31 07-07-2017 10:17 AM
Gas Cap And Plug Wires 89FXRS *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 9 04-18-2017 11:26 PM
Gerbing plug into stock battery tender or cig lighter Tigerman67 Clothing 7 01-20-2016 05:05 AM
Who else hates the 12v outlet plug on the 15's? 90b4032 *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 7 03-17-2015 04:42 AM
Front Flush Mount Axle End Cap (the bottom cap) Dmize Wheels and Tires 3 09-18-2014 04:54 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome