Unknown part help! - Road Glide Forums
Do-IT-Yourself For all those Do-it-yourself ideas that will save you some bucks

 3Likes
  • 2 Post By MisterEd
  • 1 Post By jerrod75
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 66
Garage
Unknown part help!

I was attempting to install some of the hidden fairing mounts on my 2017 Road Glide this afternoon and I stripped out a brass nut in the fairing! I went to my Harley dealer and he looked up the part on a schematic and it is not available as an individual piece, it is included in the $90 "Media Storage Compartment". With the fairing off, the stock fairing support bracket bolts into the piece that is broken. I bought a brass insert from an older model in an attempt to fix it but it does not hold very well.

Since the fairing bracket is bolted into this piece I do not really want t o rig anything up but it is installed in a piece of plastic so I don't know how strong it really needs to be.

Has anyone encountered anything like this or have a suggestion? Thanks!
JustinC13A is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 11:34 PM
Member
 
Morningwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Woodstock IL
Posts: 435
You probably need to buy it. HD is notorious for not selling individual parts. Any one else with better optioms chime in.
Morningwood is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 07:18 AM
Newbie
 
NDfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Jackson, TN
Posts: 4
Garage
I know what you mean. I recently trailered to bike week, before you even start... my girl is pregnant and really did not want to ride 500+ miles. On the return the tie down broke my fairing support some how and I cannot find a simple replacement bracket, without having to buy more than just that piece. STUPID!
NDfan is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 07:33 AM
Prospect
 
MisterEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: PA
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC13A View Post

Has anyone encountered anything like this or have a suggestion? Thanks!
I would obtain a threaded brass ferrule that matches the bolt ( BOLT X 3/4 HEX HEAD ). Then I remove the old one, insert the new one and use epoxy or JB WELD.

https://www.grainger.com/product/1GU...180710123312:s
JustinC13A and BeechRG like this.
MisterEd is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 09:55 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 18
Garage
ND fan I've got the chrome fairing support bracket off my 17 rgs if you need one. Lowered my fairing and no longer need them.
BB Bomber likes this.
jerrod75 is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 10:29 AM
Member
 
Riderduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 554
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC13A View Post
I was attempting to install some of the hidden fairing mounts on my 2017 Road Glide this afternoon and I stripped out a brass nut in the fairing! I went to my Harley dealer and he looked up the part on a schematic and it is not available as an individual piece, it is included in the $90 "Media Storage Compartment". With the fairing off, the stock fairing support bracket bolts into the piece that is broken. I bought a brass insert from an older model in an attempt to fix it but it does not hold very well.

Since the fairing bracket is bolted into this piece I do not really want t o rig anything up but it is installed in a piece of plastic so I don't know how strong it really needs to be.

Has anyone encountered anything like this or have a suggestion? Thanks!
This is for Batwings but looks like the same one that is used in my 17 RGU
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J6514K4...v_ov_lig_dp_it

2017 Road Glide Ultra

I don't Have a Bucket-List... I have a Bike-it list
Riderduke is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 66
Garage
Thanks for the replies! I am going to try a press insert and see what happens.
JustinC13A is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 05:04 PM
Member
 
Riderduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 554
Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC13A View Post
Thanks for the replies! I am going to try a press insert and see what happens.
Let us know how it works...

2017 Road Glide Ultra

I don't Have a Bucket-List... I have a Bike-it list
Riderduke is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 08:09 PM
Hangaround
 
BeechRG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
I would obtain a threaded brass ferrule that matches the bolt ( BOLT X 3/4 HEX HEAD ). Then I remove the old one, insert the new one and use epoxy or JB WELD.



https://www.grainger.com/product/1GU...180710123312:s


++++1

I did the same exact thing. Stripped it and H-D was no help. I bought one of these from Lowe’s and JB welded it in. No issues since.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BeechRG is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 08:12 PM
Hangaround
 
BeechRG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 60
Here’s my post where people helped me as well for your review. Stripped nut insert, inner faring.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...4&share_type=t


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BeechRG is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RG Wheelies from Unknown Industries willbo22 Videos 4 05-31-2015 08:53 AM
unknown electrical knowledge idahojoe Lighting 8 07-23-2014 04:46 AM
Unknown screech sound Tackdriver Troubleshooting for Road Glides 1 06-03-2014 01:42 AM
Unknown Paint dinggus Paint & Bodywork Section 14 03-20-2014 12:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome