Weird occurrence when changing battery - Road Glide Forums
Do-IT-Yourself For all those Do-it-yourself ideas that will save you some bucks

 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 4
Cool Weird occurrence when changing battery

Hey folks, I have a good one for you.
I was removing the plastic cover on top of the battery on my 2013 Fltru. When I began to loosen the second (of 2) screws I heard a sound similar to an electronic fizzle (?) or a brief air leak. I checked all the electronics on the bike and everything os fine. Here’s the weird part, the next day there was a very small pool of oil under the bike.
I have an adjustable back rest and I thought maybe, ironically, it was leaking some hydraulic oil. But I couldn’t trace any in the vicinity.
Any of you folks have any ideas before I start tearing everything down this weekend?
Related, unrelated?
Weird.
Thanks
Shark Snark is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 07:10 PM
Life Member
 
Big_gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: GA.
Posts: 8,126
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Snark View Post
Hey folks, I have a good one for you.
I was removing the plastic cover on top of the battery on my 2013 Fltru. When I began to loosen the second (of 2) screws I heard a sound similar to an electronic fizzle (?) or a brief air leak. I checked all the electronics on the bike and everything os fine. Here’s the weird part, the next day there was a very small pool of oil under the bike.
I have an adjustable back rest and I thought maybe, ironically, it was leaking some hydraulic oil. But I couldn’t trace any in the vicinity.
Any of you folks have any ideas before I start tearing everything down this weekend?
Related, unrelated?
Weird.
Thanks
Did you check your air shocks ?

2010 FLTRX , Stage 1, 13" Madstad, Mono tubes, SuperShox, Heritage style bars. Alpine CDE-HD149BT,Soundstream Picasso Nano Series PN4.520 , 5X7 and 6.5 Infinity Kappa speakers
If I have to explain ,you wouldn't under stand anyway.
Big_gary is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 08:10 PM
Life Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 4,105
Definitely taste it before rubbing it into your eye, if its sour it's likely battery acid...if it taste like KY its not cuming from your bike, id paper test it
Big_gary and MyGlide like this.
reds4 is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 08:21 PM
Administrator
 
JacktheBagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bama
Posts: 9,562
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds4 View Post
Definitely taste it before rubbing it into your eye, if its sour it's likely battery acid...if it taste like KY its not cuming from your bike, id paper test it
Reds my budd , everyone been wondering about ewe ... RedBudd ??

JtB

So Many Highways So Little Time
2011 Ultra
JacktheBagger is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 4
The screw I removed was a pretty good distance from the shock but I will check the pressure. Is there some oil in the shock?
Thanks
Shark Snark is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 4
Yeah, some comedy. That’s clever. It helps break the stress my friend.
Shark Snark is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 4
Hey Big Gary, you were right on it. The torx screw was pinching the crossover air line of the right shock. So when I backed it out the tear allowed the air, and the oil, to escape. I found the proper polyurethane tubing and will replace it all this weekend. I’ll probably shoot a small amount of light hydraulic oil in as well. Not sure I really need to though.
Thanks for the perspective!
Big_gary likes this.
Shark Snark is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 02:04 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Snark View Post
Hey Big Gary, you were right on it. The torx screw was pinching the crossover air line of the right shock. So when I backed it out the tear allowed the air, and the oil, to escape. I found the proper polyurethane tubing and will replace it all this weekend. I’ll probably shoot a small amount of light hydraulic oil in as well. Not sure I really need to though.
Thanks for the perspective!
+1
Dvidal is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 06:43 PM
Life Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 4,105
Hummm...yes indeed there's oil (5wt fork oil) in the air shock for dampin, ever wonder why it's called an air line?
Shark Snark likes this.
reds4 is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:00 PM
Life Member
 
Big_gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: GA.
Posts: 8,126
Garage
Glad to hear you got her figured out Shark.

Good to see you up & kicking Reds.
Shark Snark likes this.

2010 FLTRX , Stage 1, 13" Madstad, Mono tubes, SuperShox, Heritage style bars. Alpine CDE-HD149BT,Soundstream Picasso Nano Series PN4.520 , 5X7 and 6.5 Infinity Kappa speakers
If I have to explain ,you wouldn't under stand anyway.
Big_gary is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome