Trans oil transfer kit from the MoCo - Road Glide Forums
*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

 114Likes
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Grey beard
 
Thermodyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 1,474
Garage
Trans oil transfer kit from the MoCo

a little something showed up in my inbox. A new fix from the MoCo to address oil carry over from the trans to the primary. As I understand it, its not as of yet released to the public. But if you have the issue under warranty you should be able to get it installed. But you might have to do some educating first, as not everyone will have the word yet.











To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thermodyne is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:13 PM
Newbie
 
Wentweezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 8
Sounds like the moco is finally acknowledging a problem
madmat and SilverFatBoy like this.
Wentweezy is offline  
post #3 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:17 PM
Life Member
 
BH#103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,521
Thanks for sharing!

2019 Silver Flux/Black Fuse FLTRU
"SLIVER"
BH#103 is offline  
 
post #4 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:22 PM
Hangaround
 
18 Wicked Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: NW PA
Posts: 95
Wonder why these primaries are creating a low psi, drawing xmsn oil, vs prior big twin generations? Don't think my '03 wide glide primary is vented. Crankcase psi tied into the xmsn/primary M8 for epa reasons?
18 Wicked Special is offline  
post #5 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Grey beard
 
Thermodyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 1,474
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18 Wicked Special View Post
Wonder why these primaries are creating a low psi, drawing xmsn oil, vs prior big twin generations? Don't think my '03 wide glide primary is vented. Crankcase psi tied into the xmsn/primary M8 for epa reasons?
Seems to me that to pull a meaningful amount of oil out of the trans, there would need to be suction on the primary. As in primary seal acting as a breather valve. And that would require a vacuum on the crankcase, which there could be on the upstroke if the ring seal was good, and there was no residual pressure left from the last down stroke. Which with just a little imagination connects us to the crankcase sumping issue.

I'll wait until someone says this cured their issue. Although it might be worth plumbing a vacuum gauge to the trans vent, just to see what is going on as far as pressures. And suction on the trans would be from the primary, and that would have to be from the motor itself.
Road dawg likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thermodyne is offline  
post #6 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:08 PM
Hangaround
 
18 Wicked Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: NW PA
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
Seems to me that to pull a meaningful amount of oil out of the trans, there would need to be suction on the primary. As in primary seal acting as a breather valve. And that would require a vacuum on the crankcase, which there could be on the upstroke if the ring seal was good, and there was no residual pressure left from the last down stroke. Which with just a little imagination connects us to the crankcase sumping issue.

I'll wait until someone says this cured their issue. Although it might be worth plumbing a vacuum gauge to the trans vent, just to see what is going on as far as pressures. And suction on the trans would be from the primary, and that would have to be from the motor itself.
Would have to dig out the service manual to see how they plumbed the xmsn vent(to the crankcase?). Possibly the xmsn vent getting pressurized from the crankcase(down stroke), which in turn pushing xmsn oil to primary.
18 Wicked Special is offline  
post #7 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:07 AM
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 54
It'll be interesting to see if the venting fix actually works. I still continue to believe that if they'd just unshroud the right side bearing so it's not continually swamped with oil (you know, like it used to be before '17 when this issue started?!), there'd be no way for migration to occur.
Dmerch is online now  
post #8 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:54 AM
Member
 
Dragon Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Perdido Beach, Al.
Posts: 778
Garage
I wonder if a crank vent from ET performance would relieve the crank case pressure enough to stop the oil transfer, if the crank case pressure is the cause.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Road Glide vivid black, 14" JSR apes, Andrews 57h cams, S&S adjustable pushrods, Woods directional lifters
Dragon Dude is offline  
post #9 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Grey beard
 
Thermodyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 1,474
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18 Wicked Special View Post
Would have to dig out the service manual to see how they plumbed the xmsn vent(to the crankcase?). Possibly the xmsn vent getting pressurized from the crankcase(down stroke), which in turn pushing xmsn oil to primary.
XMSN = Transmission?

The crank case vents through the vent valves into the breather.

The primary vents through the mainshaft to the trans, and the trans vents through the vent hose in the top cover.

Only difference on the M8 is the new vent valves. But its the same flapper valve in a package with a lot more oil control.



After thinking on it a while, I'm ready to dig out my old vacuum gauge and see if the is any sucking taking place on the trans. Because with out some sort of lower pressure in the primary pulling the fluid across, this kit is for naught. Just like the first fix, which was lefty seals in the motor.
18 Wicked Special likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thermodyne is offline  
post #10 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Grey beard
 
Thermodyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 1,474
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmerch View Post
It'll be interesting to see if the venting fix actually works. I still continue to believe that if they'd just unshroud the right side bearing so it's not continually swamped with oil (you know, like it used to be before '17 when this issue started?!), there'd be no way for migration to occur.
That has been an area were the MoCo has been poking around. And there was a change to that bearing in 17.

If you look at the housing where the clutch slave sits, it would tend to pump the oil through with each lever release. ANd there have been at least two fixed tested on that area. Maybe they didn't work, or maybe they are just looking for a cheaper fix.

A for sure fix would be this vent and a seal on the pushrod like they used on the 4 speeds. Could be built into the clutch retention nut or it could be something that snapped over the nut.

4 speed push rod seal/nut
snarley53 and johnnynitro like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thermodyne is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can the RG.org staff req an interview with MoCo Lu *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 10 09-02-2017 11:10 PM
M-8 trans leak bigal51 Fluids and Lubricants 5 06-25-2017 01:35 PM
2013 Road Glide trans dipstick 89FXRS Fluids and Lubricants 4 09-08-2016 09:38 PM
Trans oil really, really hot! August Fluids and Lubricants 6 09-12-2014 04:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome