New 2019: 1000 miles up...is this oil transfer? (video) Sure looks like it - Page 3 - Road Glide Forums
*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

 25Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:52 AM
Life Member
 
RGKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 3,736
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastergunnera8 View Post
I changed out my camplate and pump to the SE orange one... when my bike had a lifter issue at 500mi...Havent had any issues...


You have a TC motor correct? The TC's do not have the sumping issue like the M8's. They also don't have the fluid transfer like the M8's although a few years back I did see one TC that did.


@Hammerhandle , HD does not make a SE cam plate for the M8's and I'm not really sure it would do anything to help with the sumping issue if they did.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 FLTRXS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RGKen; 04-24-2019 at 06:54 AM.
RGKen is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:56 PM
Newbie
 
Skip Vargas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 13
I just got my bike back as promised from my dealer, MOCO expedited a new 114 motor top to bottom with new torque cam set and all gaskets, bolts, oil lines, and oil cooler and 1,000 mile service. My dealer and tech had to put a lot of time in on this claim with MOCO and there personal tech they had come out to the dealer and inspect the bike and motor.

All i can say is i hope this helps out someone else on any warranty issues, keep all logs and receipts and pictures and videos, but most of all. If you want to keep your warranty and you want a tuner for your bike you better stick with HD tuner until your warranty up...

They will be sending the damaged motor back MOCO to split the cases or send it to a school for techs, wasn't 100% sure of sumping or tranfering, but the scored lifter bore and scarred cylinders and the videos of me complaining of off beet clacking, ticking when warmed up and a chirping/squealing sound at cold starts.

2019 ROAD GLIDE SPECIAL
Stage 11 Torque Cam
Skip Vargas is offline  
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 06:02 PM
Member
 
Wood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidave View Post
I am aware of and I am certainly keeping Greg's clutch pushrod in mind.....I will try the free warranty fix (vent kit) next time it happens...and then go to that pushrod if need be....but it's $170 all up to Australia so I will keep it cheap for starters.

Yeah it's not great for a new bike to have a clear design fault.

Kiwidave,
Did the dealer install the primary vent kit?

2010 FLTRX Vivid Black, WindVest, Catless, 3-S&S Std Lifters, 1-Oversized Fueling Lifter, Adjustable Pushrods, Power Vision, Oil Temp, Hidden Antenna. 1975 FXE Shovelhead, CV, Electronic Ignition, Primary Belt Drive, owned since 1976.
Wood is offline  
 
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 06:11 PM
Prospect
 
gldlver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Vargas View Post
I just got my bike back as promised from my dealer, MOCO expedited a new 114 motor top to bottom with new torque cam set and all gaskets, bolts, oil lines, and oil cooler and 1,000 mile service. My dealer and tech had to put a lot of time in on this claim with MOCO and there personal tech they had come out to the dealer and inspect the bike and motor.

All i can say is i hope this helps out someone else on any warranty issues, keep all logs and receipts and pictures and videos, but most of all. If you want to keep your warranty and you want a tuner for your bike you better stick with HD tuner until your warranty up...

They will be sending the damaged motor back MOCO to split the cases or send it to a school for techs, wasn't 100% sure of sumping or tranfering, but the scored lifter bore and scarred cylinders and the videos of me complaining of off beet clacking, ticking when warmed up and a chirping/squealing sound at cold starts.
Mine at cold idle on the stand will make a small chirping sound, i just assumed it was the rubber mounts because it always stops when I pick up the bike and never does it when its warm

maybe im wrong??? I have no transfer or sumping issues i know that as I have checked


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gldlver is offline  
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
kiwidave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
Kiwidave,
Did the dealer install the primary vent kit?
Not yet. That kit is not being sent to Australian dealerships for another 5 weeks. But they are very happy to install as a warranty item no questions asked. I am the second customer at this dealer in line for one. The staff have been very helpful over this and I don't have any issues. Just monitoring trans oil level for another 5 weeks ;-)
kiwidave is offline  
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 06:57 AM
Member
 
Wood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidave View Post
Not yet. That kit is not being sent to Australian dealerships for another 5 weeks. But they are very happy to install as a warranty item no questions asked. I am the second customer at this dealer in line for one. The staff have been very helpful over this and I don't have any issues. Just monitoring trans oil level for another 5 weeks ;-)
Let us know how everything turns out. I am not buying an M8 because of this design flaw that the MOCO can't figure out.
.

2010 FLTRX Vivid Black, WindVest, Catless, 3-S&S Std Lifters, 1-Oversized Fueling Lifter, Adjustable Pushrods, Power Vision, Oil Temp, Hidden Antenna. 1975 FXE Shovelhead, CV, Electronic Ignition, Primary Belt Drive, owned since 1976.
Wood is offline  
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
kiwidave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 230
I get that, but it appears there are 2 working fixes (H-D vent kit, MCC fatter clutch pushrod) and one of them is free under warranty and the other is less than a lobster dinner. Compare that to what we have already spent or will spend on accessories ;-)

I've lost another 6 fl oz in the 450 miles since the 1000 mile service but I'm just catching the derby cover spill and returning to the trans. No, it's not as it should be, but until the vent kit arrives it's no biggie to me and a lot less hassle than regular wrenching on my 1980 FX.

It does not affect the running of the bike. Which is awesome.
geo8866 likes this.
kiwidave is offline  
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:51 AM
Life Member
 
Thermodyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 1,599
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGKen View Post
You have a TC motor correct? The TC's do not have the sumping issue like the M8's. They also don't have the fluid transfer like the M8's although a few years back I did see one TC that did.


@Hammerhandle , HD does not make a SE cam plate for the M8's and I'm not really sure it would do anything to help with the sumping issue if they did.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just an FYI, the twin cams can and do sump. They just don't run out of oil and blow up.

Most people never notice since the power isn't effected till about 4500 rpm. Usually it shows up on a dyno pull, or after a high pressure spring is installed with an oem pump. I've seen a few that wouldn't dead rev past 4000 rpm.
RGKen likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thermodyne is offline  
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:27 AM
Life Member
 
RGKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 3,736
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
Just an FYI, the twin cams can and do sump. They just don't run out of oil and blow up.

Most people never notice since the power isn't effected till about 4500 rpm. Usually it shows up on a dyno pull, or after a high pressure spring is installed with an oem pump. I've seen a few that wouldn't dead rev past 4000 rpm.

Yes I have actually heard of this but have never seen it myself. But again maybe never noticed one that did like you say. Might try and check a few more of them to see what I find.

2018 FLTRXS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RGKen is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Baker DD7 ~ First 1000 miles mitchdm Equipment-RG 35 10-10-2014 06:58 AM
1000 miles in less than 2 1/2 days BDMike *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 6 08-09-2013 11:08 AM
1000 miles... 13RoadGlider *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 11 05-30-2013 09:29 PM
7000 miles in 4 months SquirtRGU Road Glide Specific Discussions 20 06-26-2011 10:15 AM
2500 Miles behind the Iron Curtain BlackBetty11 Road Trip Discussions/Stories/Pictures 3 06-23-2011 03:52 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome