My 16 as opposed to my 19. 1000 miles in. - Road Glide Forums
*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

 40Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
RFG7680's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 3,692
Garage
My 16 as opposed to my 19. 1000 miles in.

So. Last couple days I have been paying attention to some things on this bike. Compared to my 16. Outwardly the only real difference between the two is the Chrome and Black. I'm setting this one up about the same.

Before I start. If it was. Ot for a misread medical report I would still he ecstatic with my 16 and had zero need or want for a new bike. I had more mods planned. It was to be the 100k mile bike.

I see people want to compare a built 103 to a 114. That's not apples to apples. That's hot apple pie to applesauce. Stock to Stock is a better comparison.

My 103 stage 1 with the bulletproof cam chest was a great motor. Loved how it ran and it did everything I needed it to do. Maine to Alabama to Wyoming in the 2.5 years I had it. (6 month riding season if we're lucky)

The 114" well... Ya, It's got gobs of power over the 103. Less downshifting is the one thing I noticed. Just twist and the power rolls right on. No lag like the 103. Not dogging the 103 at all. The 114" at times seems hotter. my 103 had no Cat. But when it did it was hotter all the time than the 114.

I had progressive monotubes up front. And man what an improvement. My 19. Believe it or not is pretty close to how the monotubes felt. No quite. But impressively close. I want to drop the front an inch. With how this is valued I may just do progressive spring's and heavy fork oil.

The stock rear shocks are about the same. No noticable noticeable improvement there. Bike is getting some Ohlins. So I'm excited to see what all the hub bub is about.

Where the stock 16 had its cornering issues like a little wander. Theres zero on the 19. I know everyone hates the stock set up. I've never minded it. The dive is what I hated. But the 19 is far better than the stock 16. And no worse than with my monotubes.

Braking. About the same. My 16 had Linked ABS.

Boom GTS. Now here's a big improvement over the 16. This stereo is not only louder but a lot better sound quality. The bike comes with the stage 1 2 way speakers. It starts fast. Loads fast. Maps are fast. Inputting a destination is fast. You can pinch and zoom like.your cell phone. The HUD is cool. No more watching the screen scroll "reading usb" fucking hated that. I have yet to have a flash of sun glare hit me. My mirrors have but not the screen. And I've had the sun over my shoulder.

At the end if the day. I miss my 16. It had everything I wanted the way I wanted it. The mix of black and chrome. I considered a used 16 I lived that bike so much. But the smart money went to the new bike. And it's a beauty. But it's like everyone else's. But the older i get. The less i care about that. It will have my touch to it. And that's all i need. Its mine.

I'll open up the floor for questions at this time.

???
Freaky, chowman63, RonC26 and 8 others like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"That which we manifest is before us."
BUYER BEWARE @ BATTLEFIELD HARLEY IN GETTYSBURG PA.
RFG7680 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 01:18 PM
Life Member
 
Swomack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Prosper, Texas
Posts: 6,260
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFG7680 View Post
So. Last couple days I have been paying attention to some things on this bike. Compared to my 16. Outwardly the only real difference between the two is the Chrome and Black. I'm setting this one up about the same.

Before I start. If it was. Ot for a misread medical report I would still he ecstatic with my 16 and had zero need or want for a new bike. I had more mods planned. It was to be the 100k mile bike.

I see people want to compare a built 103 to a 114. That's not apples to apples. That's hot apple pie to applesauce. Stock to Stock is a better comparison.

My 103 stage 1 with the bulletproof cam chest was a great motor. Loved how it ran and it did everything I needed it to do. Maine to Alabama to Wyoming in the 2.5 years I had it. (6 month riding season if we're lucky)

The 114" well... Ya, It's got gobs of power over the 103. Less downshifting is the one thing I noticed. Just twist and the power rolls right on. No lag like the 103. Not dogging the 103 at all. The 114" at times seems hotter. my 103 had no Cat. But when it did it was hotter all the time than the 114.

I had progressive monotubes up front. And man what an improvement. My 19. Believe it or not is pretty close to how the monotubes felt. No quite. But impressively close. I want to drop the front an inch. With how this is valued I may just do progressive spring's and heavy fork oil.

The stock rear shocks are about the same. No noticable noticeable improvement there. Bike is getting some Ohlins. So I'm excited to see what all the hub bub is about.

Where the stock 16 had its cornering issues like a little wander. Theres zero on the 19. I know everyone hates the stock set up. I've never minded it. The dive is what I hated. But the 19 is far better than the stock 16. And no worse than with my monotubes.

Braking. About the same. My 16 had Linked ABS.

Boom GTS. Now here's a big improvement over the 16. This stereo is not only louder but a lot better sound quality. The bike comes with the stage 1 2 way speakers. It starts fast. Loads fast. Maps are fast. Inputting a destination is fast. You can pinch and zoom like.your cell phone. The HUD is cool. No more watching the screen scroll "reading usb" fucking hated that. I have yet to have a flash of sun glare hit me. My mirrors have but not the screen. And I've had the sun over my shoulder.

At the end if the day. I miss my 16. It had everything I wanted the way I wanted it. The mix of black and chrome. I considered a used 16 I lived that bike so much. But the smart money went to the new bike. And it's a beauty. But it's like everyone else's. But the older i get. The less i care about that. It will have my touch to it. And that's all i need. Its mine.

I'll open up the floor for questions at this time.

???
So what your saying is both bikes were and are badass.

LOL

Swomack
woodster, Shadow1, RFG7680 and 1 others like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Gallery / Click Below Link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swomack is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
RFG7680's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 3,692
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swomack View Post
So what your saying is both bikes were and are badass.

LOL

Swomack
Yes. Exactly.
Swomack likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"That which we manifest is before us."
BUYER BEWARE @ BATTLEFIELD HARLEY IN GETTYSBURG PA.
RFG7680 is online now  
 
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 03:32 PM
Life Member
 
Swomack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Prosper, Texas
Posts: 6,260
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFG7680 View Post
Yes. Exactly.
Are you selling the Trike or are you keeping it ?

Just curious

Swomack


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Gallery / Click Below Link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swomack is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
RFG7680's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 3,692
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swomack View Post
Are you selling the Trike or are you keeping it ?

Just curious

Swomack
Traded in the 2015 trike and gave the wife the 19. I'll tell ya. The 103 in the trike had the absolute quietest top end I have ever heard on a twin cam. Not a rattle or a tap. And when we traded it there was 11500 miles on it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"That which we manifest is before us."
BUYER BEWARE @ BATTLEFIELD HARLEY IN GETTYSBURG PA.
RFG7680 is online now  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 05:03 PM
Life Member
 
Road dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,169
Sounds either way like a win, win for ya, I am sure when it's out of warranty and you do, if you do decide to ditch the cat and cams it will be fun a shit, not that it's not now, but like you said your personal touch, I have been to tinkering with the idea of a trade, thought about it last year but put if off, it's a tough call, so I can see what you say when you miss your old bike. The new scoot is a real beauty, nest of luck with it and all your future mods.

When all else fails, hell there is always beer!
Road dawg is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
RFG7680's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 3,692
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road dawg View Post
Sounds either way like a win, win for ya, I am sure when it's out of warranty and you do, if you do decide to ditch the cat and cams it will be fun a shit, not that it's not now, but like you said your personal touch, I have been to tinkering with the idea of a trade, thought about it last year but put if off, it's a tough call, so I can see what you say when you miss your old bike. The new scoot is a real beauty, nest of luck with it and all your future mods.
Ya. This was kinda for the on the fence guys with the TCs. They're great bikes. You dont need to go new. Yep. There's improvements. Some pretty good ones. But that 15' 16 era is not old tech. Few tweaks and you're good. Short of the GTS Boom system. That's not backwards compatible.
PBSTN likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"That which we manifest is before us."
BUYER BEWARE @ BATTLEFIELD HARLEY IN GETTYSBURG PA.
RFG7680 is online now  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 05:35 PM
Life Member
 
Road dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,169
I hear that on my 2011 FLTRX I have upgraded about everything I could think of, so to sell or trade it in is tough, got 41k and yes new bike sounds great ,going to stash some more greenba Ms may e in a year or two.

When all else fails, hell there is always beer!
Road dawg is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 06:28 PM
Life Member
 
groupw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: on the Front Range of the Colorado Rockies
Posts: 3,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFG7680 View Post
.... that 15' 16 era is not old tech. Few tweaks and you're good
....... i know that i really like my '16, and have no interest in a new machine until ....
.... wait for it
................ until they build one'a them new FLTRKs in yellow.
.. .................... ya'll didn't think i'd given up on that, did'a ?
RFG7680 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'05 FLTRI, King Tour Pak, Vented Lowers, SG fender Fascia
'16 SERGU
groupw is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 07:21 AM
Life Member
 
Swomack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Prosper, Texas
Posts: 6,260
Garage
I think the new bikes are fantastic and would love the 114 c.i. verse my 103 c.i. but my 2015 RGS is still rock solid after 54,000+ miles.

I also have done every mod that I wanted to do to this bike and starting all over again kills me just thinking about it.

Your wife must be very happy with the 2019 trike.

Looking forward in seeing what you end up doing with your newest sled brother.

Swomack


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Gallery / Click Below Link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swomack is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome