Road Glide banner

Need advice from the wrenching gurus.. S&S 117 Build

7K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  09Sharknose 
#1 · (Edited)
In addition to my Road Glide I have a 1996 Fatboy. I swapped the original engine for a 2008 S&S 117 EVO. I did head work (Branch O'Keefe) and cams. My bike has difficulty starting at times and often leaves me stranded. I always give the throttle a few pumps and open my enricher before turning it over. The bike chugs before starting. It has a single fire ignition and I often get a backfire that sounds like a gunshot. I'm always able to get if going if I jump start it but that's not a solution to my problem. I'm thinking that I may need a higher torque starter. I don't want to invest in a new starter if that's not the issue. Any advise or thoughts are appreciated.

#5 ·
We've re-built many of the low-compression/emmission S&S 117"s to real fire-breathers. 130/135 are the numbers we like to see prior to calling the customer for pick-up.
Once tuned they start instantly.
Perform a compression test on both cylinders, and a leakdown test would also be benificial.
S&S carb with what jets? Bored? Thunerjetted?
What adjustable ignition was used once the engine work was established?
Happy to help.:)
Scott

#8 ·
We've re-built many of the low-compression/emmission S&S 117"s to real fire-breathers. 130/135 are the numbers we like to see prior to calling the customer for pick-up.
Once tuned they start instantly.
Perform a compression test on both cylinders, and a leakdown test would also be benificial.
S&S carb with what jets? Bored? Thunerjetted?
What adjustable ignition was used once the engine work was established?
Happy to help
Scott
Super G carb but I don't remember which jets I used. I rejetted a couple of times. I'm using the Thundermax ignition. I did the work a few years ago and I don't remember all the specifics. It was a bear fitting the engine into the FB frame and we took a few short cuts to make things work out. I'm gong to have to look deeper into the specifics.

Find someone with a dial back timing light. Most say a stock Evo should be timed at 35 deg., IIRC S&S suggests 30 deg. for the bigger motors. Check with S&S as it's been a number of years since I had a S&S crate motor. You know! CRS.
Currently timed at 35 degrees. My problem may be as simple as a timing issue. I'm a novice mechanic and most of my experience with with EFI bikes. I got some software from Thundermax but I'm not experienced enough to know how to use it; especially on a carbureted bike.

#11 · (Edited)
Yep, it was from my Mastiff. The Fatboy belonged to a friend who worked at RB Racing. RB used the FB for testing all types of turbos, intercoolers, pipes and other prototypes. My Big Dog was having tons of issues and I was tired of dealing with them; especially since they went bankrupt. My gas tank was actually at their factory in Kansas when they went belly-up and it took my 5 months to get it back.... with no help from anyone. I liked the S&S so I bought the Fatboy minus the engine and sold the Big Dog chassis. My friend did most of the wrenching.

Before the engine swap:

After:

My Big Dog:

#19 ·
Of all the chopper bikes that were being manufactured at one time, Big Dog was actually one of the best, if not the best.
Sheldon Coleman(Coleman Camping Equipment)had/has deeeeeeeep pockets to be able to withstand the ecomonic climate, when the bikes were not selling as well, they did not go bankrupt, they just folded the Big Dog company.
We have one for sale currently in our retail area.
Scott

#20 ·
Of all the chopper bikes that were being manufactured at one time, Big Dog was actually one of the best, if not the best.

Sheldon Coleman(Coleman Camping Equipment)had/has deeeeeeeep pockets to be able to withstand the ecomonic climate, when the bikes were not selling as well, they did not go bankrupt, they just folded the Big Dog company.

We have one for sale currently in our retail area.

Scott

They may have had the best components, but they were unreliable as hell! Mine was never good for two rides in a row without a repair of some kind. It stranded me multiple times due to chronic electrical problems. I think they replaced the entire electrical system on mine over the period I owned it. That engine though.....it was awesome!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#22 ·
How old is your battery? Have you had it load tested? A weak battery or loose cables can wreak havoc on a bike & make it do all kinds of weird stuff.

Lil Chief

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.