Road Glide banner

Trickle Charger?

7K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  02heritage 
#1 ·
What kind and type of Trickle Charger do you recommend and who should I buy it from? Also, should I leave the battery in my bike which is in an un heated garage for the winter or should I bring the battery in the house on the trickle charger for the winter? Just wondering from New England?

#2 ·
Battery Tender. You can buy them at most dealers.... Walmart even has them.

Leave the battery in the bike.

#6 ·
Votes 5-10 for the Battery Tender(I get 5 votes because I own 5 of them).

I got just short of 10 years out of the battery in my '01 Ultra Classic using the Battery Tender, now I have them on everything I own with a battery, except the 2 vehicles we drive daily. Sure is nice to never have to wonder about a battery.

#8 ·
I have several of the Battery Tender Jr.'s - I use them for a number of different batteries. For my RG, I leave the battery on the bike, and have the pig tails permanently installed so I just plug it in.

#11 ·
Battery Tender on everything I own here, leaving the battery on the vehicle.
Be careful of some 'trickle chargers'. Some are not meant to be left on for an extended period of time. Buddy had an 'cheapo' trickle charger and his battery died a slow death over the winter from being overcharged

#15 ·
Very true. There is a difference between a standard trickle charger and a battery maintainer like the Battery Tender. The BT helps to keep the battery in top condition and has the ability to switch on and switch off as needed, depending on the charge level of the battery. A great investment IMO.

#12 ·
I never used a battery tender and never had a problem. My bike has sat for more then 2 months while I was working overtime and the security system was active and when I go to start the bike it started with no problem. Still don't have a battery tender, some keep the battery plugged in all the time when not riding but if you have a good battery there is no need to keep it plugged in.

#13 ·
I bought the charger from HD. Its not expensive. Sure you can get a harbor freight one for 9.99 but don't feel like taking a chance with my battery. I put it on the bike maybe every 2 or 3 weeks over the winter and just let it charge till its green, than remove it. I have been doing this for a lot of cold winters and no problems.

#18 · (Edited)
usually tractor supply has one on sale for 19.99, its a Schumacher. Don't get one from harbor freight, every one Ive got barely put out 12volts.
just noticed they have it on sale for 16.99, now I go get another one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.