Road Glide banner

Soundstream amp install pic/questions

13K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Beavz 
#1 · (Edited)

This is as close as I can figgure on getting the SS PN4.520D to fit inside the fairing. (Needs final trimming.)

Tried to fashion a bracket towards the front, but it just isn't going to work.

Going to have to brace the corner of this one, that amp is heavy.

Anybody go a different route with this setup?

Beavz

See less See more
#2 ·
Mount

This is going to sound really stupid, but I was at one of our local car stereo shops last weekend where the owner was showing me some bike installs he's done. He has mounted several amps in the same location that you have using Velcro. I questioned this and he said that if you use good quality heavy duty Velcro and clean all surfaces with alcohol before applying it it works pretty good. He said he has never had an amp fall from it's mounting location, even on some of our hot days in Ca.

Another thought I had is that if done correctly, you could cut access holes in glovebox that would allow access to adjusment of amp without removing outer fairing.

Good luck, subscribing

Just my $.02

Peace

#3 ·
After reading about this amp on a few different forums and talking with the Tech Service guy at Biketronics and Techronics yesterday I think this is the Amp I am going with. What was the problem with mounting it vertical like the way most RF amps are being mounted? What size power wire are you running? What speakers are going with? Sorry lots of questions

#4 · (Edited)
Jim,

I'm no audio guy "at all."

Followed a very lengthy discussion (on another forum) about the RF amp. The same dude kept answering any/everyone's questions, no matter how complex. The guys really knows his audio. I sent him a pm, telling him that I wanted a quality system that wouldn't break the bank. I explained that I've not got an issue with purchasing quality, but don't need to overpay just because it's got the "cool label" on it.

This was his "recipe" for me:

Fairing Speakers and Front Lower Speakers - Polk Audio MM651 @ $125 per pair from Amazon

Amp - Soundstream PN4.520D @ $135 from Amazon. This is a 4 channel amp and will more than adequately drive these polk audio speakers to a clean and crisp sound you'll be happy with.

You'll need the front lower adapters to house the speakers and those can be had from HD or from other manufacturers as well. I think the primed CVO pods from HD are about $35 each.

You'll need a pair of speaker adapters to adapt the stock fairing 5.25" hole to 6.5" and those can be had from Cycle Sounds for $35 and are a breeze to install. Some folks go all out and cut the polk audio grills to fit the holes in the fairing, but me personally, I would just use the stock cloth grill covers that are on your bike now. Keeps the speakers concealed and provides no interference to the sound of the audio. You can always get a set of $30 chrome speaker trim rings for the fairing grills to dress it up a little if you'd like.

So for about $600 (estimating $200 for lower pods and paint) you'll be into a really nice setup I'm very certain you'll be happy with and then won't have to fool with rear speakers at all unless you just want to later on.

When/if you decide to do all this it's actually a breeze to do but if you're as anal as I am about wiring, it will take you a little time to button everything up nicely and neatly.

I'd held the SS amp vertically beside the radio and couldn't find anywhere that suited me (it's just too long.) I'd fashioned a shorter bracket that was 45* off the attaching point, but there's not enough room. If it's short of hitting the speaker, the headlight bucket is in the way.

I'd already gotten the RF bracket from H-donut before I decided to go with the Soundstream amp. Thought that I'd just re-drill and mount the SS to it-WRONG. Much too large. H-donuts piece is excellent quality/fit, but just won't work with this amp.

Beavz

#5 · (Edited)
That answers alot of questions. As of now I have a Sony DSX MS60 head unit and 2 Focal 165 (lowest end Focal) in the fairing running off the head unit, I have 2 more sitting on the shelf they where used when I got them but they where free. I dont have lower fairings so I was looking at the speaker pods that mount to the crash bar by Hard Ride Audio but he is a pain to get ahold of.

Setups I am thinking about will all "Star" the Soundstream Amp.
-Amp Bridged running 2 Bike Tronics Titan speakers in the fairing (tech guy at bike tronics said this is a good amp and his speakers will handle the power)

-4 Polk MM651 2 in fairing and 2 in pods(if i can afford them)

-4 Focal speakers that i have with 2 in the fairing and 2 in pods(down side is these Speakers are only rated at 60watts RMS)

Bill in Tech Services at Bike Tronics is a top notch guy that has sent alot of time on the phone with me explaning how things work. He told me that the Titan Speakers will sound the cleanest of all options and it is the most cost effective. The 4 Polks will be the loudest at highway speeds, and the Focals wont have good low end.

I can only afford to do this one more time.

#6 ·
UltraNutZ (other forum) is a stand up guy. Those that understand audio praise him. I ain't got a clue! Just wanted a really good "basic system" and this was his suggestion. Doesn't break the bank, and gives good clean sound... that's what I'm after.

We'll see.

Off to chasin' wires!

Best of luck with your setup.

Beavz

#7 ·
Beavz: So are you using your stock head unit? Was thinking of adding an amp and speaker upgrade to my HK unit so I keep my handlebar controls.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 ·
RG69, you can install aftermarket and retain your handlebar controls. I just bought a Clarion M502 marine grade head unit and Hawg Wired mounting kit that contains a very well built mounting box, a billet aluminum faceplate w/o-ring gasket, and control module that plugs into factory wiring and can be set with dip switches to control most major brands.

#9 ·
there is a version of a behind the glove box plate that mounts under the turn signals, it's pot metal, from hog tunes

velcro is awesome, just not that awesome, after 6 months or a year

well, hells bells, I just got mine beyond great sounding, now I have to go out and try this other amp, doh... well, I'm just saying that, I'll be keeping my dual RF's for a while, finally got the back speakers to start booming just right

what are the amp dimension? I'll read up on the specs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.