Road Glide banner

Tire recommendations?

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  scuga 
#1 ·
The mechanic just told me my tires were starting to cup and I needed to look at some new ones. I ride in the mountains mostly but do put on some highway miles getting there... I have the stock rims that came with the bike. What recommendations do you have with the stock rims, fenders, etc...? Upsize?

#2 ·
I put the Metzler 888 on the back and the Dunlop American Elite series 2 on the front. ( Metzeler didn't make an 18 in the 888 series at the time. Both have 18 k and still look great. The American Elite felt a little softer than the Metzler , not sure if it had anything to do with being a front tire compared to the rear though. The combo provides a good ride and decent grip.
Like you, my stock HD Dunlop's started cupping around 17 K
The Avon tires will be the most sticky but you'll be changing them every 7- 10 K

Reactions: scuga
#4 ·
Until this year the only tire to fit my rims were Dunlops. Everyone has cupped (5) but I have run them down to the treadwear indicators. As per Dunlop cupping does not affect the integrity of the tire.
It does however affect the ride somewhat on curves but I have never felt unsafe with them and have been across the Dragon 10 or 12 times this year.
However I only get 9 or 10 thou out of a rear and 12 to 15 on the front. The bike is usually loaded to the max so that makes a difference in tire wear.

Reactions: Swomack
#5 · (Edited)
Here in SoCal., I do a lot of freeway, highway and my favorite canyon riding.
I have always been a big fan of Metz, but I have to say, the Stock Dunlops on my 2015 RGS are great all around tires for me.
They wear well as long as I keep the tire pressure level where it should be.
They also do well in braking at high speed.
I dig the grip.
I say why change what I already like.
Swomack

#11 ·
I echo the Avon votes. I have them on 3 out of 4 bikes. With the baggers I'm getting around 10,000 miles on the front and 8-9,000 on the rear. I don't abuse my tires too much although the corners are fun and I use more of the side than I could with the Dunlops. The cornering bonus is worth the early wear of the tires. STICKY and I keep buying them.

#12 ·
Here are my Metzler 888 and Duny American Elite II with 18 k on both.

Attachments

Reactions: scuga
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.