Road Glide banner

180 front tire installed

38K views 42 replies 29 participants last post by  Sly1 
#1 ·
After a long 2 month wait, wheel finally arrived!! Put almost 300 miles on her so far, all I can say is amazing. Handles like a sport bike, loves corners, like a freight train on rails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
That looks awesome! What size rim did you use and we're you able to use the stock forks or is it a replacement kit? Everyone's head would explode when I tell them them I already have a car tire on the rear and I'm toying with the idea of putting a rear tire on the front

#43 ·
Well I've been pricing out a 21". Through rc components wheel, tire, and rotor looking about $2300, pickard for the triple tree and 6 piston caliper another 1300, Paul yaffee for the front fender with paint is around 700. Then you either have to buy new sliders or have the original notched. So I would imagine after labor be around 5k+ depending on if anymore hidden surprises

#12 ·
Parnelli,
I have a 140 on my front and a car tire on the rear with 10,000 plus miles and it I have no complaints. It handles good and rides better. There is a learning curve to the car tire but once you get used to it you dont think about it.

If you want more info on it hollar

#14 ·
Parnelli,

I have a 140 on my front and a car tire on the rear with 10,000 plus miles and it I have no complaints. It handles good and rides better. There is a learning curve to the car tire but once you get used to it you dont think about it.

If you want more info on it hollar

I'm thinking about the CT when my rear tire needs replaced. I pull a camper with the bike, cycle tires wear thru too quick.

#18 ·
Question, Did you need to replace your lowers? I am looking at their kits for 2015-17 and it shows no need to change the triple clamps but, the kit coms with lowers? I have chrome lowers already are there something different in the lowers they supply? of can their fender "only" be used to allow the 180 tire?

Thank you

Oh it is freakin awesome looking.

#21 ·
After a long 2 month wait, wheel finally arrived!! Put almost 300 miles on her so far, all I can say is amazing. Handles like a sport bike, loves corners, like a freight train on rails.

That looks friggen bad ass, Love it!
I did the same thing a couple of months ago with Native's kit, love it.
Mr.dbell , any pics?

#27 ·

That looks friggen bad ass, Love it!
I did the same thing a couple of months ago with Native's kit, love it.
Mr.dbell , any pics?
Just saw this today, I will post some either in this thread or another soon.

#28 ·
Looks awesome!
I like the way this 180 looks and have been considering it. I see that SMT Machining who is working with American Suspension is now offering a kit for a 21" wheel with a 180 tire for the front. I keep waiting to read reviews of this 21" 180 kit. I hope the 21" wheel kit works great as I like the look of a 21" wheel better than the 18. Everyone that has gone to the 180 tire on the 18 loves the handling.

#29 ·
Looks awesome!

I like the way this 180 looks and have been considering it. I see that SMT Machining who is working with American Suspension is now offering a kit for a 21" wheel with a 180 tire for the front. I keep waiting to read reviews of this 21" 180 kit. I hope the 21" wheel kit works great as I like the look of a 21" wheel better than the 18. Everyone that has gone to the 180 tire on the 18 loves the handling.

The only problem with the 21 kit so far is only tire manufacturer is vee rubber, they're not good. Native is working with someone to produce a tire, maybe by late August.

#30 ·
First--that's an awesome look, very nice! I have heard that wider front tires increase the risk of hydroplaning? Is that even a thing?
Not sure if that "holds water" HAHAHA i'm hilarious

#32 ·
First--that's an awesome look, very nice! I have heard that wider front tires increase the risk of hydroplaning? Is that even a thing?

Not sure if that "holds water" HAHAHA i'm hilarious

Lol!! I wondered about that too. Talked to a few guys that have the kit before I put mine on, they said they've had no problems.

#31 ·
I just read yesterday that Native Custom Baggers are developing now a 20" and 21" 180 tire kit. They did not say when it will be out or who will be making the tires. As more shops come out with these larger wheel 180 tire kits I'm sure that other tire manufacturers will start making tires for them.
I predict the new trend will be larger size front wheels with 180 or 160 tires. Kind of like now how all the Clown Show Baggers now are sporting 30" and 32" wheels. Do you think we will ever see up to 26" or 30" wheels with 180 tires?

#33 ·
Most forums talking about hydroplaning are about car tires, and in those threads it's mostly tread pattern/depth that did most of the work keeping rubber down. RG is a heavy freakin' bike and bike tires are generally much narrower than car tires. Just a thought...probably trying to talk myself out of doing the mod...XD

#36 ·
stock 9 spoke wheel?

Wow!

One of my customers told me about this 180 Fat Tire conversion and I think it looks awesome! I have an '03 RG with the stock cast 9 spoke wheels and I'm wondering how wide of a tire I can put on that wheel. I understand that fender mods would be required and the cowbells would need to be trimmed, but that'd be way cool if that's all it took. Would love to hear from anyone on the most affordable way to catch that look, drop me a note.

Vance Ackerman
RoadNames.us

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.