Road Glide banner

Is there still a cam tensioner issue

9K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  4getNo1 
#1 ·
Is there still a cam tensioner issue on the newer bikes? Since the change to the hydraulic tensioners what is the life expectancy? Sorry if this has been asked and answered.

#2 ·
I read in a thread its around 50 K But other said they had more miles with no problem.

#4 ·
Not exactly sure of life expectancy, some people report going 70k on the new hydraulic tensioners. The inner tensioner usually wears a little faster. In the pic below these tensioners have right at 30k on them. As you can see, very little wear. This may not exactly answer your question but, it may give you some idea of what to expect.

Nevadasun

Ps. the runout on my crank is .004

#6 ·
Just had replace my main drive gear bearing due to a tensioner that kept the primary chain too tight on a 2010 RGC at 29,000 miles. Compensator was knocking on startup so replaced it with a Screamin Eagle compensator, Baker adjustable tensioner along with bearing. Bad design in my opinion on the tensioner, but that's the MOCO for you.

#7 ·
I replaced mine, simply because I was in there. At nearly 25k miles, they basically just had shiny spots worn on them, that could barely be detected with a fingernail. My pinion run out was .003".

Jeff

#8 ·
Has anybody consider going to gears and end the worries? The thread I read actually said they will fail do to pressure problems rather than wear limits.
Like I said this is only something I read and have not experienced it or heard from anybody I know.

#9 ·
I put a set of cams in a 08 Street Glide with 51 k on the clock. The inner had no wear and the outer had minimal. Barely enough to feel with a fingernail.

Reactions: sputnik
#14 · (Edited)
"Has anybody consider going to gears"

Would be the last thing I would do on the late models with street cams and a factory crank.
The stock set up has proven to work well and is low maintenance. Steps right up for performance work.

For the early bikes consider the Cyco kit with the tool, high performance Polymide-Stanyl wears much better than the original material.

#16 ·
What's your view on going to gears anyway Scott? I realize they're a bit noisy but I kind of like the sound so if I do change cams, then...

Any "seat of the pants" improvement in performance?

#17 ·
I realize this thread is a little old, but I like waking up old threads. (that does not sound good, does it) Anyway, my question is, what year did HD start using hydrolic cam tensioners?

#22 ·
you can pull the cam cover and inspect,check the inner with a mirror and see how they're doing.some bikes,they last a long time.My 02 dyna went 75k on the original shoes.

G
#20 ·
FWIW, Cyco now offers replacement shoes for the new hydraulic tensions as well. I just received some to keep in stock a couple weeks ago. The hydraulics do last much better than the previous spring loaded design, however, I have replaced the hydraulic shoes also with as little as 30k on the clock. It's not the norm but it does happen. The new Cyco shoes should fix them for the life of the engine and they're cheap insurance against future failure if you're in the cam chest anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.