Road Glide banner

Chicago to New Orleans

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  zemo1017 
#1 ·
Planning a trip down to New Orleans in May with a MC, but have never been on a trip this long. Plan on leaving early in the AM and knocking it out all in one day. 12-13 hr ride. Anyone have any suggestions on what to bring? I'm sure someone, if not a few, people here have taken trips like this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

:cool: :D

#2 ·
It's a 14 and 1/2 hour, by car, trip from Chicago to New Orleans. By bike you can add some time to that. How much? Depends on how long you can stay in the saddle. Given you haven't been on a long ride like this you may want to allow for more frequent/longer stops. The longest I've been on my bike, on the road, at one time was 17 hours.
As for what you need to bring it all depends on how long you are staying, where you are staying, etc.... A few necessities though - Loaded up mp3 player, small tool kit, small air pump, 2 pair sunglasses and 2 pair of night glasses, helmet for those pesky helmet law states, sunscreen, plug in phone and mp3 charger, and rain gear.
Also, if you don't have a contact in your phone that is labeled ICE you need to do so. The ICE stands for "in case of emergency" and that's the first contact most paramedics look for when looking through a person's phone that they are working on.
I'm a light packer so I'm sure others will chime in. You will be coming right through Mt. Vernon, IL, which is where I live, and it'd be cool to see you guys go by. Heck, I might even ride a bit with you all if that would be ok. Enjoy your ride.

#3 ·
For me, I figure 50 mph to calculate my ETA. That is with quick stops at the pump with a snack to keep going.
If you are staying at a place where you can do laundry, you don't have to bring as many clothes, or do like I have in the past, go to a laundry mat while you have dinner.
Exercise should include sit-ups, push ups an some burpeze.

A leather and rain suite will also help.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#6 ·
I would advise spending some long days in the saddle prior to your trip. Just going from 30 minute bar hops to 200 mile non stop stretches will kick your ass! You need to condition yourself for 12 hr saddle days.

#8 ·
Anti Monkey Butt powder or something similar. A natural sheepskin to throw on the saddle. It will keep you warm or cool and makes long rides more comfortable.
Glacier Wear is a good source.
http://www.glacierwear.com/furs-pelts-leather/sheep-lamb-skins.html
Lubricating eye drops, a small first aid kit, pressed towels, Tylenol or the like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.