Road Glide banner

type of jack do you use on your road glide for routine maintenance??

17K views 65 replies 46 participants last post by  RoadGlideRider 
#1 ·
Hey whats up guys,

Have a question for you?
I own a 2018 Harley Road Glide.
What type of jack do you recommend for doing routine maintenance like oil changes?

In my service manual it mentions a Harley Davidson Fat Jack.
I'm not sure that's big enough, is it?

Also, I have the CRAFTSMAN yellow jack and Ive been using that ever since i had my Harley V-ROD Muscle.
What are the best docking points you guys recommend if I use my yellow jack.

What are the best docking points you guys recommend if I was to buy the Fat Jack?

I have a hard time fitting an oil dispenser underneath it. I don't like the huge oil catcher Harley sells cause that thing is enormous. I usually just buy a small thick one that can hold a good amount of fluid from my local auto store cause its a bit easier to fit but I still end up dripping a small amount of oil. The smaller one can hold about 4-5 quarts of oil from there. But now, I'm gonna change my transmission fluid so that would mean more fluid which means having a thicker dispenser.

Any recommendations would be a great help.
Thanks a bunch
John S

See less See more
#47 ·
I use a modified HF table lift. I made it an easy drive on with side rails and changed it over to air powered. Looking for some square tubing to put a couple of stablizer bars to make sure it won't tip over.

#49 ·
HF High Position lift. Hoping to get a table lift in the near future.

Attachments

#50 ·
Motorcycle Jack and Pepsx Stand

I use this combo, built a custom bike on my Pepsx Stand.

Once the bike on the Pepsx stand i can then use the motorcycle jack to assit removing and installing the front and rear wheels. I can walk away from the bike and leave it on the stand without fear of it falling.

PepsX

Attachments

#52 ·
Hey whats up guys,

Have a question for you?
I own a 2018 Harley Road Glide.
What type of jack do you recommend for doing routine maintenance like oil changes?

In my service manual it mentions a Harley Davidson Fat Jack.
I'm not sure that's big enough, is it?

Also, I have the CRAFTSMAN yellow jack and Ive been using that ever since i had my Harley V-ROD Muscle.
What are the best docking points you guys recommend if I use my yellow jack.

What are the best docking points you guys recommend if I was to buy the Fat Jack?

I have a hard time fitting an oil dispenser underneath it. I don't like the huge oil catcher Harley sells cause that thing is enormous. I usually just buy a small thick one that can hold a good amount of fluid from my local auto store cause its a bit easier to fit but I still end up dripping a small amount of oil. The smaller one can hold about 4-5 quarts of oil from there. But now, I'm gonna change my transmission fluid so that would mean more fluid which means having a thicker dispenser.

Any recommendations would be a great help.
Thanks a bunch
John S
Hi John,

I had the exact same question regarding the jack points. Did you ever manage to get an answer to that part of your post? If so please let me know. Thanks.

#55 ·
I would like to hear from someone that had both or see side by side comparison. I get the buy America pride and love to do it but at 5 times the price for my use I could not get there. Is the bottle jack that muck better. The width of jack and the lifting points can only be so wide for them to fit the bike. I would love to have one but could not get past the cost of shipping being as much as the jack I got from HB. I am not knocking just thinking out loud.

#57 ·
I’ve had the J&S for a couple of years now. I recently gave my craftsman jack to a friend because it was just taking up space, I never use it since I bought the J&S, worth every penny IMO. Also more versatile than a lift, I can easily roll it outside if I want to do major cleaning to the bike, and I can’t think of any maintenance that I can’t do with it.

#60 · (Edited)
Well I can see why this convinced you to buy it

1st. Me and this dude need to have coffee or lunch

2nd the arms are definitely longer than HF jack

3rd. I like the idea of the holes. Actually was lowering mine the other day and it did catch one side. Scared the shit out of me panic would not allow me to think clearly so I did it again before figuring it out 😅

4th. Made in America

5th. I do have anxiety when the bike is up

6th HF jack goes up to 16 1/2 inches without being locked onto stops. I think it's 14 on highest stop. The J&S website says 18 inches. Not sure if that's in a stop but probably still higher in a stop

So if you have the money and actually do work on the bike, I only detail or wash, I would recommend. These Jack's will be in your garage longer than the bike life time wise.

Let me add I went to move the HF jack the other day and situation in my mind told me I needed to pick the jack up to move it. Yep. Never been accused of being gentle when working. Anyway when I did the jack went crazy and I had to set it up again. That was on me just making stuff happen I DID NOT NOTICE that the bottle jack was now lined up to the handle that WAS WELDED to the jack. Well a few foot pumps and the pump broke the handle at the weld. Yep. Was that type of day. I thought the jack went under the bike pretty easily. Well now I am thinking if that weld broke in my mind pretty easy. Maybe the pump puts out a great deal of pressure. Could the bike break one of the welds holding the stop in place. I still use the jack. Works the same and now the handle is out of the way. Probably an upgrade coming my way

You won't be sorry once you get the spend out of your head.

Thanks for the video

#64 ·
Well I can see why this convinced you to buy it

Thanks for the video
I once subscribed to this guy’s YouTube page. He has some useful information. But I unsubscribed because I found him representing himself to be an expert in “Club Etiquette” and rules.
First: He’s NOT a Club Member. He belongs to Bikers Against Child Abuse. But insists to say “Club not to be named” because he doesn’t speak for them.
Second: He appears to repost information from sites of those that are part of Club Life and really know.
So don’t be conned to believe he knows the “Rules” of club life.
I have rode “The Life” in the past. Just my opinion.

Reactions: louisiana rgl
#61 ·
If You cannot afford a good lift table or do not have the room for one then by all means go with the J&S Jack.
I have had mine for many years and it lives up to everything it claims.
If You do go with J&S make sure to call and place Your Order.
Be Of Luck on Your Decision.
Mike U.

#65 ·
I used to have J&S jack, and it was great. Had to rid of it and my '18 glide for $ reasons. Well, I got that all straightened out and now have a 2021 RG without a jack and very little room in my garage. So, what are your thoughts on scissor jacks?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.