Road Glide banner

budget upgrade for my '16

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Clutched 
#1 · (Edited)
looking to get better sound but not pay almost $1k for a pre packaged setup.

so with a bit of research it seams like no matter what you will need the following:

biketronics amp mount $60
biketronics bt355 (they have 3 versions not sure which) $85
amp install wiring $40-$50

then i would need an amp and speakers. i have heard these are budget setups but sound better than factory.:

Infinity Kappa 62.11i (which seem to be NLA) so i think i can still get some if i dig a bit. but seem to be about $150
CV B51 amp looks to be about $160

is there anything i am missing? or is there any of these that do not play well with each other? also are there slightly better speaker and amp options for not much more money?

just found the basic biketronics kit with discount code for $710 that's only $200 more than the setup listed above. i am wondering now if for $200 extra i get a no headache setup and just be done with it.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
You can count on the Biketronics' kit if you want simple plug and play, very good quality, customer support and outstanding warranty. Whether or not the extra $ is worth it is hard for anyone to tell you.

As for the individual parts and pieces you listed;

For a two speaker setup you would want the Cerwin Vega B52. Not the B51. The B52 is 2-channel amp, the B51 is a 1-channel mono amp (sub-woofer application).

AMP trays clean up the installation a bit, but aren't completely necessary. For example, the Cerwin Vega B52/B54 and Diamond Audio Micro4v2 will all fit above the headlight assembly on all Rushmore Road Glides.

As for the BT355, there are 3 versions because there are 3 variations of the same line out converter. When you order, you order either;

BT355 Universal - no pre-wired speaker plugs so it requires splice and solder.
BT355 Front fairing only - it already has two plugs that attach to the existing OEM harness, so there isn't any cutting, splicing or soldering required.
BT355 Breakout harness - four speaker setup

#5 ·
I have the biketronics kit. I priced a few budget kits and opted for full plug and play and what an easy install. Sounds killer. I'm super happy and glad I spent the money. Cry once.

#6 ·
Hello, I'm new to this forum. Hope I'm doing this right. I have a 2018 Road Glide Special. I'm looking to upgrade my audio as well on a budget. I know about the BT line lever. I like the Rockford Fosgate hd14kit. But the Cerwin Vega b52 and b54 amp have my attention. I'm only looking to upgrade my front fairing speakers. Not looking to enter any competitions. I want to be able to hear my music at highway speeds. Polk mm652 speakers or Cerwin Vega Stroker 6.5 have my attention as well. I'm just looking for a nice budget build I can install my without cutting up my factory wires or cutting my fairing or enclosures. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

#8 ·
Following as well. Every time I ask about a 2 speaker system, it gets offtrack with people pushing lowers or saddlebags speakers. Some of these guys have listened to a ton of speakers, Id love to see a list matching speakers with the type of music they would be good for. I have the BT and Kappa Xs so far.

#9 ·
It's really hard to go wrong with the Kappas and the CV B52 for a budget 2 speaker setup.

I've done that same install four times now and everyone has been happy with it. My current Micro4v2 with the Hertz MPX 165.3 is only marginally better at twice the cost.

#11 ·
I have the Biketronics two speaker RG kit on order for $710 shipped with the forum discount from that other site. I know I could have saved a little money and probably got something that sounds a little better but I’m not a serious audiophile and I just wanted something that was easy, works, and that I can hear going down the highway. The lifetime warranty is a big plus too, after all it’s a Harley, everything on these things vibrates like hell and they get wet if you ride em.

#13 ·
I've noticed that as well at the "other forum". For some reason I've never been a huge fan of NVX gear, but I respect the guy that started recommending them over there. If he says they are good, then they must be good. We'll see how reliability and longevity work out. I remember back in late 2014 early 2015 the Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 was the highly recommended "go to" AMP, and we've all seen how that worked out.................

#15 ·
I recently Upgraded my Audio on my 18 RGS.Never Installed one with a little help from the forums was pretty easy.Only spent $340.Winter is finally over here had it out last Sat. An this setup sounds Damm Good.Cerwin Vega B52,Infinity Kappas,Bt 355 line leveler with front speaker plugs,remote wire plug,Universal amp install kit an some RCA Stingers.Every thing fit well.Very happy,yea theres better,but this is by far the best budget setup.Still cant believe how much better than stock an I installed myself,Felt good to do myself an get these results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.