Road Glide Forums - View Single Post - M1 Garand
Thread: M1 Garand
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
killintime
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-B View Post
My Dad was a Korean War veteran and he left me his.
Tear down showed trigger group from 1942, Anniston Armory marks, and a Korean replacement barrel.
My Dad had an interesting take on pristine M1s.
1) They were weapons of WW2 and Korea, the battle weapons faced awful environmental conditions in Pacific Island Jungles, Korean and European theater winters. Tracer use burned barrels out easily within a year as cleaning and lubrication pales in the face of phosphorous destruction.
2) The really pretty M1s were probably not issued theater weapons. They are likely manufactured from select parts. So pretty isn't authentic in the weapons of war.

Anyway, I have thought of making it a showpiece, but it would be "George Washington's Axe, with the head only replaced twice, and the handle only replaced three times."
True, they really didn't care about matching numbers or matching manufactures for that matter. It was pretty much strip 'em down, replace what needs to be, slap them back together and get them back in the hands of the guys that needed them. The only "correct" ones are in the Springfield museum. The best that we can hope for is period correct. Such a soft shooting rifle for a 30-06 and just a joy to shoot. I'm just happy to be a caretaker for this amazing piece of history.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

First prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Second prize is a set of steak knives

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome