Road Glide banner

Transmission Oil Smells weird

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Bruce00 
#1 ·
2019 RGS at 1,500 miles with new motor at 500 miles on it. So I've been checking my fluids every ride and ride I pretty hard when i ride. But the trans oil has a funny smell to it and it looks clear as can be on the dip stick. All 3-holes have SYN3 recommended from MOCO tech do to the new motor. Maybe when they did the 1,000 mile service that had the break in oil and switched to SYN3 it puts out a different smell until the next oil change.

#2 ·
There are lots of things to sniff out there, I wouldn't be picking my trans oil to be at the top of the list. There's all kinds of recreational sniff stuff available.... LOL

Does it smell like sulpher? Gear oils tend to smell like rotten eggs, at least a bit. If that's the case, you're fine. They certainly didn't use Syn3.

#4 ·
It might not smell like the syn 3 left in the bottle, since it will be mixed with a little of the original gear oil.

Now here's the thing, syn 3 is not what the MoCo recommends for that gear box. If you look in the manuals they recommend Formula+, which is gear oil. syn three can pass the tests they rate gear oil under, but it con not have the additional high pressure additives such as zinc. I would would spend $10, drain the motor oil out and put gear oil back in. Either formula+ or synthetic gear oil from Wally's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.