Road Glide banner

Disappointed with “premium audio”

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  roadie13 
#1 ·
Hello all. New member here from Houston TX. 2019 Roadglide. Bike came with “Premium Audio”. Sad. Is there an economical upgrade to get it louder? I heard you have to flash the radio.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.

We’ll need a better idea of your definition of “economical”.

Food for thought, I’d be retired if I had a dollar for every guy that wanted the entry level setup and paid the bare minimum then came back and said he wasn’t happy and paid again and again until he was happy.

Buy once cry once. Sure wish I would have listened the first time someone told me that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Maybe, but the speakers really suck. If you're willing to go up to about $1000 you can get a system that you can hear at speed without having the volume maxed out. @roadie13 nailed it. I, too wasted money with amps and speakers before biting the bullet and getting the Arc audio components installed.

#9 ·
Nope. Stock head unit alone can’t power squat.

#8 ·
I’ll bet dollars to donuts that there’s a kool aid commercial coming your way soon.

Repeat after me: I will not drink the kool aid. I will not drink the kool aid. I will not drink the kool aid.

Reactions: Beldar
#11 ·
The line leveler converts high level speaker outputs to a low voltage RCA input for the amp. It also flattens the EQ curve that H-D built into the radio. The line leveler in combination with the flash typically produces the best sound for aftermarket systems. A DSP is much better, but not part of an entry level system. Line leveler is made by biketronics and are adjustable (but not necessarily recommended) for gains and high pass filter.

#13 ·
There are a lot of good systems or pieces out there. I got the Arc Audio MPAK 12 kit with 2 additional speakers for the fairing lowers I added. It did not need a line leveler. Others have pieced systems together and got great sound. Research the previous threads in the audio section here and you will see various successful setups and failures. Then choose what is right for you, but don't go cheap, or you will want to replace it.

#18 ·
Freedom Shield; won’t fix the “premium” audio it will mitigate wind noise from the stock windscreen. The overall upgrade is worth the investment.

i was going to say the tallest windshield you can stand regardless of brand. :grin:

When I run my 16" Thresher in the winter I can actually hear the music. When I go back to the OEM shield for the summer, nothing so I don't even bother. I didn't have music the first 30 years of riding, but there is something to be said about being alone with one's thoughts which could be good or scary.

#15 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. Let me start by saying this... I own Reno Bagger Audio, an authorized distributor for SOUNDZ CUSTOMZ. I don't advertise on the forums, but a lot of members already know me.

I just did a retrofit of the 6.5 Boom head unit into a 2015 Police bike with our 2 channel amp and a set of our stock replacement speakers ( SR65's ). Now this was the FIRST SYSTEM I did in this combo of the 2 channel amp and SR65's and I can say I was truly impressed for under $650 ( $180 for speakers and $450 for amp )

The head unit does need to be flashed for this.. FYI Flash is the BEST way to get the FLATTEST EQ curve from the head unit for aftermarket audio.

A quick YOUTUBE video to illustrate the the performance of just two SR65's and our SS2.150 amp in this retrofitted 2015 Police bike

EDIT: if the video does not play... search for TGRISKO on YOUTUBE and look for RENO BAGGER AUDIO 2015 POLICE BIKE

#17 ·
Welcome to the forum. Let me start by saying this... I own Reno Bagger Audio, an authorized distributor for SOUNDZ CUSTOMZ. I don't advertise on the forums, but a lot of members already know me.

I just did a retrofit of the 6.5 Boom head unit into a 2015 Police bike with our 2 channel amp and a set of our stock replacement speakers ( SR65's ). Now this was the FIRST SYSTEM I did in this combo of the 2 channel amp and SR65's and I can say I was truly impressed for under $650 ( $180 for speakers and $450 for amp )

The head unit does need to be flashed for this.. FYI Flash is the BEST way to get the FLATTEST EQ curve from the head unit for aftermarket audio.

A quick YOUTUBE video to illustrate the the performance of just two SR65's and our SS2.150 amp in this retrofitted 2015 Police bike

EDIT: if the video does not play... search for TGRISKO on YOUTUBE and look for RENO BAGGER AUDIO 2015 POLICE BIKE

2015 Police bike retrofitted audio
You say to get a flash plus the LL for the flattest EQ.. what flash do we ask for if we have an aftermarket system?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.