Road Glide banner

Hydraulic Clutch

5K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  RGKen 
#1 ·
Good evening. So a couple opinions on here. What is more successful, Aims Light Force or reduced reach handles? I dont have problems with the clutch effort but do have a problem with the small friction zone. Do these products tackle both issues? I also read about adding a plate to the clutch pack? Maybe this is the more affordable way. Idk. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

#5 ·
I just installed Soft Brake reduced reach levers on my CVO and I can not believe how much of a difference it made in the pull on my clutch lever. So if you haven't looked at his stuff before I would take a look at Soft Brake

Reactions: Vulcan1623
#7 ·
I think I posted on another one of these threads. There's a guy on the CVO forum that went with that one and He's perfectly happy with it.

#8 ·
Be careful using the SoftBrake lever if you have anything other than standard size grips. I tried one. I have Avon grips with a palm swell. The bike would not start in gear with the clutch lever pulled in and finding neutral was a nightmare. I went with the 2019 spacer and all is well now.

I don't know what the hype is with the AIM. Unless it widens the friction zone, I think the clutch is fine.

#11 ·
The bike would not start in gear with the clutch lever pulled in and finding neutral was a nightmare.

I don't know what the hype is with the AIM. Unless it widens the friction zone, I think the clutch is fine.
Not a good idea to start your bike in gear anyway. It's not so bad if it's during a ride and only a brief stop while things are all warmed up but doing it cold is not good. The clutch plates get stuck together by oil-lock and it puts a real strain on everything especially the starter motor. You know how when you start it in gear even with the clutch pulled in it still lunges forward a bit? That's the oil lock. But it's your bike and you are free to start it how you wish. I just thought I would pass the info along.

Have you tried pulling the clutch lever on a bike with the AIM installed? Yes it does improve the friction zone but if you get a chance to feel the pull of one you will certainly understand. No more cramped left hand in stop and go traffic. It's a breeze! :wink:

#10 ·
I put a softbrake on the wifes freewheeler and what a difference. I immediately bought the RSD adjustable levers for my RGS and loved them. One of the first things I bought for my 19 Freewheeler was the softbrake clutch lever. The RSD didnt fit. I wont ever have a bike without them again. Its night and day. I have the PM Renthal wrapped grips and theres no issue.

#12 ·
ken,

my issue with not being able to start the bike with the lever pulled and in gear is not for 'general' starting, but for 'that time' that, for whatever reason, the bike stalls and i'm in the middle of the road. usually the more important it is to get into neutral, the more difficult it is to find it. i don't want to be in the middle of an intersection doing 2-1-2-1-2-1.....

Reactions: RGKen
#14 ·
Think about getting extended shift levers. I just got 1" extended toe & 2 1/2" longer heel shift levers from Soft Brake and it makes a big difference in how easy it is to find Neutral now. I know you can get extended shift levers from other vendors also but can't tell you whom.

#18 ·
Went to Americade last month. Got stuck in some traffic. Installed the AIM light force couple weeks ago. Man! What a difference!!!! Brought the friction zone closer to the grip and the ease of pulling the clutch lever now has to be experienced to believe! Did not get the specified stroke after the install, but close. Seems to work just fine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.