Road Glide banner

Recommendations for 14" apes 2017 RGS

6K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Swomack 
#1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first post. I'm glad to be part of the group.

I am looking to add tall apes (no higher than 14") to my 2017 RGS, and I am looking for recommendations on bars that do not require modifications to the bike or require cabling/wiring work.

I have looked at the Chizeled 14" apes from HD, but the dealership said I needed brake/clutch cabling (not a big fan of bleeding ABS systems).

I also looked at KST Kustom bars, but they require knocking down the index pin in the bar clamp and grinding down tabs on the control clamps.

I was looking at Factory47, and their 14" apes say I don't need to mod the cables, but the pin will have to be knocked down (same bar for CVO/Ultra as the Road Glide).

Any suggestions/experiences that you could share would be greatly appreciated!

#2 · (Edited)
Factory 47s... 1.5" bars are way better looking and easier to run wires... 2 hours and I was done...I run my bars inline with forks and didnt have to remove the pin from the riser clamp.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mike U
#7 ·
#8 ·
Just installed 12in Factory 47 signatures 2 days ago. Agreed with above post that the 1.5in bars are much easier to run wires. Little rag with WD40 slicking up the heat wrap helps tremendously. Plus the beefier bars look more natural with the bike/forks imo. I’m very pleased. They say 14in will reach but it will be tight. The clutch is zip tied in a couple places behind the wiring under the riser. Cut those and it will give you more to work with. Break side was no problem. Pretty easy installation and there are videos via their website as well as YouTube diy vids. F47 also provides a more adjustable safety pin hole in the bars that allows you to adjust them a bit more to your liking. Not a ton obviously but enough to matter. I found that lined up with the forks was not only better looking but perfect distance for comfort.

#9 ·
I found the vindicated/factory 47 bars to be too wide and still too much pullback. I got a set of road 6 customs 13 inch bars and love em. Don’t be afraid to pull the pin on the riser and most bars you don’t have to grind off the pins on the clamp.

#11 ·
Just knock or pull the pin out and be done with it. Ive had the KST outlaws that were good, but now run a 16" JSR bar, that I like even better. Welcome to the forum.

#13 ·
Welcome, from New York, to The Greatest Forum on The Internet!
I have Factory 47 14" Malo's on My 2012 RG Custom and love them.
If I ever get a newer Glide F47 are the bars I would put on.
Best of Luck on Your decision.
Mike U.

#16 ·
Welcome From Texas

There are so many great bars out there.

I started with 13" apes and then moved to 16" apes.

Most 14" and under apes will not need new lines but if you go 16"+ you will need all new lines.

Good luck with your research and purchase.

Swomack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.