Monotube / 940 Part Numbers double check - Road Glide Forums
Suspensions Discuss all you Suspension needs and wants here!
Sponsored by: JRI Shocks

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Worcester, MA
Posts: 24
Monotube / 940 Part Numbers double check

I just wanted to double check before I place this order with USMotoman,

31-2501 - Mono-tube Cartridge & Spring Kit - Lowered - $273
940-4020UT - 940 Series Ultra Touring - $451.00

I'm looking for the 2" front drop and the 1" back drop. That all look right?
jcontonio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Member
 
Xaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: So Cal High Desert
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcontonio View Post
I just wanted to double check before I place this order with USMotoman,

31-2501 - Mono-tube Cartridge & Spring Kit - Lowered - $273
940-4020UT - 940 Series Ultra Touring - $451.00

I'm looking for the 2" front drop and the 1" back drop. That all look right?
Yes, the Monotube is the same for 1" or 2" lower you make the choice during install how many clips you use.

If your a solo rider under 220 lbs you may find the ride stiff on the 940, if so call Progressive and they will swap out springs for you.

Xaran
2011 FLTRX, 103 Power Pak, Stage 1 with Power Vision and V & H Power Duals, SE A/C, Cee Bailey TRSSC 15", Progressive 940 rear,Mono Tubes Front, C & C Fastback Seat and some extras in black here and there

Previous HDs
2005 Annv FLSTFI, Stage II 95 kit, lowered 2" - SOLD
2004 Road King Custom - SOLD
2004 Sportster 1200 r, Stage 1 - SOLD
Xaran is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Worcester, MA
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaran View Post
Yes, the Monotube is the same for 1" or 2" lower you make the choice during install how many clips you use.

If your a solo rider under 220 lbs you may find the ride stiff on the 940, if so call Progressive and they will swap out springs for you.
I am 100lbs under 220 =) Should I have them swap out the springs on my order or is it something I have to do after the fact? Thanks for the reply.
jcontonio is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Life Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: missoula,mt
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcontonio View Post
I am 100lbs under 220 =) Should I have them swap out the springs on my order or is it something I have to do after the fact? Thanks for the reply.
If you weigh 120 I would look for something else. I am 190 or so and have the lighter springs and I doubt at 120 you could get a good ride. You have to send the shocks to progressive to change out thee springs

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
jeff is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Worcester, MA
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
If you weigh 120 I would look for something else. I am 190 or so and have the lighter springs and I doubt at 120 you could get a good ride. You have to send the shocks to progressive to change out thee springs

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
So with the lighter springs would I still get the 1" drop in the back? Thanks for the information. Should I even go for the 940's and try something else entirely?
jcontonio is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Life Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: missoula,mt
Posts: 2,016
Yes you still drop with the lighter springs but if you are 120lbs I think it will be too harsh. Not sure if progressive makes even a lighter spring you might want to call them to see

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
jeff is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Worcester, MA
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
Yes you still drop with the lighter springs but if you are 120lbs I think it will be too harsh. Not sure if progressive makes even a lighter spring you might want to call them to see

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Ok thank you very much Jeff
jcontonio is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Member
 
Xaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: So Cal High Desert
Posts: 614
Agree look into a different shock set up for your weight.

They will drop 1" based on the bikes weight but at 120 lbs you are not going to move the shocks much even with the lighter springs.

In your case Id say call one of the custom shock guys, Works, Terrycable of Ohlins (Motorcycle metal0 and have them set up a shock for you.

You can get Ohlins 2-2 from Howard at Motorcycle Metal for about 600.00 if you are a member of HD Forums. Terrycable are about 600.00 as well and I think Works start a little more.

At your weight to get that bike to use its suspension you need to soften up the springs

If you really want to stay with the 940 try calling Progressive Suspension Tech Line ask for Frank and ask him. He was a big help to me. If you go with Progressive you will have to take delivery of the shocks and then send them to Progressive for the springs, they dont ship to dealers with the lighter springs

Xaran
2011 FLTRX, 103 Power Pak, Stage 1 with Power Vision and V & H Power Duals, SE A/C, Cee Bailey TRSSC 15", Progressive 940 rear,Mono Tubes Front, C & C Fastback Seat and some extras in black here and there

Previous HDs
2005 Annv FLSTFI, Stage II 95 kit, lowered 2" - SOLD
2004 Road King Custom - SOLD
2004 Sportster 1200 r, Stage 1 - SOLD
Xaran is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Worcester, MA
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaran View Post
Agree look into a different shock set up for your weight.

They will drop 1" based on the bikes weight but at 120 lbs you are not going to move the shocks much even with the lighter springs.

In your case Id say call one of the custom shock guys, Works, Terrycable of Ohlins (Motorcycle metal0 and have them set up a shock for you.

You can get Ohlins 2-2 from Howard at Motorcycle Metal for about 600.00 if you are a member of HD Forums. Terrycable are about 600.00 as well and I think Works start a little more.

At your weight to get that bike to use its suspension you need to soften up the springs

If you really want to stay with the 940 try calling Progressive Suspension Tech Line ask for Frank and ask him. He was a big help to me. If you go with Progressive you will have to take delivery of the shocks and then send them to Progressive for the springs, they dont ship to dealers with the lighter springs
Xaran, Thanks for all the info. I spoke with someone at Progressive and they said to put about 50 - 100 miles on the 940s then if I am not happy with them (most likely) to send them into the shop. They said they'd put a lighter spring in there for me. If after that they don't work nicely I'll look into something more custom.

The bike rides great as it is right now, I'm really just looking to lower it a little bit as I am short. I'm sure there aren't too many 5'2" 125lb guys riding Road Glides, but I ride the hell out of it and love it.
jcontonio is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Prospect
 
FL99M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcontonio View Post
Xaran, Thanks for all the info. I spoke with someone at Progressive and they said to put about 50 - 100 miles on the 940s then if I am not happy with them (most likely) to send them into the shop. They said they'd put a lighter spring in there for me. If after that they don't work nicely I'll look into something more custom.

The bike rides great as it is right now, I'm really just looking to lower it a little bit as I am short. I'm sure there aren't too many 5'2" 125lb guys riding Road Glides, but I ride the hell out of it and love it.
I'm interested in lowering my bike since I added a 18" rear wheel but I also want better handling. Did you research the replacement for the 940, the 944 at all?
FL99M3 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 FLTRX, Fuse Box, Do a Double Check... Nevadasun *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 10 11-26-2013 08:15 PM
Progressive 940 Ultra Touring Series Shocks Part# 940-4020UT jdbaker Sold 3 05-10-2012 11:29 AM
Source/Part Numbers for saddlebags stripes? 07RoadGlide Aftermarket Accessories 1 05-26-2011 03:59 PM
2011 CVO Gauges---Part Numbers? sh4325 *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 14 12-07-2010 11:31 PM
Roadie Part Numbers Needed Shrug *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 6 05-14-2010 08:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome