New suspension front/rear - Road Glide Forums
Suspensions Discuss all you Suspension needs and wants here!
Sponsored by: JRI Shocks

 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
Freaky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,548
New suspension front/rear

Since the weather was decent (dreary, but in the low 50's today) here today, a couple of my buddies showed up and we installed some new suspension components on my bike (mine's an 09, fyi).
Put Progressive HD Springs in the front end (standard height) with Screaming Eagle fluid and Progressive HD 412's on the rear. Install was pretty straight forward, only glitch we had was getting one of the forks to drop out, seems that corrosion/rust had settled in some and made it a little difficult to remove, but she finally came out. The old fluid that was in the shocks was in need of replacement for sure, was very thin and looked like burnt motor oil in color (I am told that new it's a reddish color ?). As of now I have the rears set at the lowest point until I get the chance to ride it some and adjust as needed. Got it all put back together and wiped down and back under cover for a bit more time. I did not get the chance to ride it, as the fog set in and it was so damp out there with all the cinders on the road, just not a good recipe for a ride at all. I believe there are probably better upgrades that could have been made, but those would have cost a lot more money. I am simply hoping for some great improvements over what my stock set up was and I believe I will have that now.
Anyway, there was a post earlier that I read that indicated you could change out the springs in the front forks without removing them from the bike, this is simply not true, there is no way you could do that. Removing them was not a big deal, just took a little time.
I will report back on what I think of this set up once we get through our winter and I am back riding.
08Zinc and Nordic Berserker like this.
Freaky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 07:22 AM
Life Member
 
eddienelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Central Louisiana
Posts: 1,895
Im excited for you. A suspension upgrade is on my list of things to do. Good luck and hopefully you'll get to ride it soon.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2016 RG Custom Vivid Black
Freedom Union 2/1, Andrews 57H cam, Mach 2 A/C, .030 head gasket
eddienelson is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 08:26 AM
Newbie
 
FLTREX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 33
Garage
I had a pair of 12 " 412's on my 93 FLHS with -1 Progressive springs up front , made for a better ride than the stock set up for sure. On my 15 RG I replaced th rears with 12.5" Progressive 444,s and like them alot ,thinking about Ricor intiminators or Race Tech gold valves for the front. I think you will like your improved suspension.
FLTREX is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 03:48 PM
Hangaround
 
mfgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 166
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky View Post
Since the weather was decent (dreary, but in the low 50's today) here today, a couple of my buddies showed up and we installed some new suspension components on my bike (mine's an 09, fyi).

Put Progressive HD Springs in the front end (standard height) with Screaming Eagle fluid and Progressive HD 412's on the rear. Install was pretty straight forward, only glitch we had was getting one of the forks to drop out, seems that corrosion/rust had settled in some and made it a little difficult to remove, but she finally came out. The old fluid that was in the shocks was in need of replacement for sure, was very thin and looked like burnt motor oil in color (I am told that new it's a reddish color ?). As of now I have the rears set at the lowest point until I get the chance to ride it some and adjust as needed. Got it all put back together and wiped down and back under cover for a bit more time. I did not get the chance to ride it, as the fog set in and it was so damp out there with all the cinders on the road, just not a good recipe for a ride at all. I believe there are probably better upgrades that could have been made, but those would have cost a lot more money. I am simply hoping for some great improvements over what my stock set up was and I believe I will have that now.

Anyway, there was a post earlier that I read that indicated you could change out the springs in the front forks without removing them from the bike, this is simply not true, there is no way you could do that. Removing them was not a big deal, just took a little time.

I will report back on what I think of this set up once we get through our winter and I am back riding.


Doing the same next couple of weeks. Adding super shox on the rear and mono tubes -1 in the front. Looking forward to the ride improvement. Mine is an 09 orange.

Let us know how she rides when the weather clears up.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08Zinc likes this.
mfgator is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 06:27 PM
Hangaround
 
007xd9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 116
I am going to do the Progressives on the front next week. I can't wait to hear how your bike rides.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
007xd9 is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
Freaky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,548
Have not had any chance to get out and try the new set up yet, but I did forget to mention that my bike came with 13" rears and I put 13" on, but the bike had to be raised up about 1/2" more for the new ones to fit. I have read that HD's are not a true 13" but rather about 12.5", and I would believe this after doing my own swap.
Freaky is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:12 AM
Life Member
 
Nordic Berserker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Valhalla 🇳🇴
Posts: 3,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgator View Post
Doing the same next couple of weeks. Adding super shox on the rear and mono tubes -1 in the front. Looking forward to the ride improvement. Mine is an 09 orange.

Let us know how she rides when the weather clears up.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exact setup I have on mine 👍🏻


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nordic Berserker is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:11 AM
Grey beard
 
VikingRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky View Post
...(mine's an 09, fyi).
Put Progressive HD Springs in the front end (standard height) with Screaming Eagle fluid and Progressive HD 412's on the rear....
Which SE fork oil did you use? I guess it's the Performance and not Racing.

Here are the numbers (weight and viscosity ((@212F/100C)):

Harley Type B
10wt – 5.51
Harley Type E
20wt – 7.95
Screaming Eagle Performance (Heavy)
20wt – 8.60
Screaming Eagle Racing (Extra Heavy)
60wt – 24.49

I tried SE Heavy on my bike - too hard, felt like the whole triple-three was squeaking when hitting a pothole...
The E was heavy enough for my type of riding (riding the twisties rather than the highway). JMO


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FLTRSEI2
SE95-AN Stage 2-PCIII - SuperTrapp TDs-Kerker Stouts -KlockWerks Flare "12-Aquatic HU/J&M 7.5 ++ custom
VikingRider is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
Freaky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingRider View Post
Which SE fork oil did you use? I guess it's the Performance and not Racing.

Here are the numbers (weight and viscosity ((@212F/100C)):

Harley Type B
10wt – 5.51
Harley Type E
20wt – 7.95
Screaming Eagle Performance (Heavy)
20wt – 8.60
Screaming Eagle Racing (Extra Heavy)
60wt – 24.49

I tried SE Heavy on my bike - too hard, felt like the whole triple-three was squeaking when hitting a pothole...
The E was heavy enough for my type of riding (riding the twisties rather than the highway). JMO
Not the racing one, just the SE Heavy.
Freaky is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 06:00 PM
Life Member
 
08Zinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 2,073
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic Berserker View Post
Exact setup I have on mine 👍🏻
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgator View Post
Doing the same next couple of weeks. Adding super shox on the rear and mono tubes -1 in the front. Looking forward to the ride improvement. Mine is an 09 orange.
Another here with that setup, except I added True-Track. Very happy with mine so far.

Blessings, Zinc -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"But when I leave I want to go out like Elijah, with a whirlwind to fuel my chariot of fire." Rich Mullins
08Zinc is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front and Rear Suspension Setup dinggus Suspensions 29 03-16-2017 02:56 PM
2017 M8 SUSPENSION FRONT AND REAR Questions ynotbmester General Off-Topic Discussions 11 08-31-2016 02:45 PM
Front and Rear Air Suspension Q-Hog Suspensions 15 09-26-2014 12:49 PM
Front and Rear suspension OneSlickGlide Suspensions 12 07-29-2013 09:10 PM
New Progressive suspension front & rear. TRUBlue Suspensions 16 04-18-2013 09:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome