info overload - Road Glide Forums
Audio List your speakers and audio solutions for the roadglide.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
info overload

First off hi everyone I am a new rg owner been lurking a long time but first post. any way I have an 01 RG with factory radio that is blown. I want to go with after market head unit but I have no idea what I should run. I would like to keep the handle bar controls and marine unit seem like the best bet. any help would be great thanks rob
wiggels is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 11:01 AM
Prospect
 
Eshaw301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL G.A. by way of Wash. D.C.
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggels View Post
First off hi everyone I am a new rg owner been lurking a long time but first post. any way I have an 01 RG with factory radio that is blown. I want to go with after market head unit but I have no idea what I should run. I would like to keep the handle bar controls and marine unit seem like the best bet. any help would be great thanks rob
you want waterproof and factory controls to stay in tact, correct? If so, then try the Jensen HD1BT. Its a direct replacement for HK radios and should work in your year bike. If not, then you'll have to get an aftermarket unit, the box for controls interface, and a spalsh shield.

"DUDE!...Your exhaust is making the ground shake!" Circa March 2014, Born Losers MC, Atlanta.
Eshaw301 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 11:14 AM
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggels View Post
First off hi everyone I am a new rg owner been lurking a long time but first post. any way I have an 01 RG with factory radio that is blown. I want to go with after market head unit but I have no idea what I should run. I would like to keep the handle bar controls and marine unit seem like the best bet. any help would be great thanks rob
Contact Biketronics and see what they have.
News from the 12v world is that Jensen unit is a bit of a Dog
racer-x is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 11:15 AM
Prospect
 
Eshaw301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL G.A. by way of Wash. D.C.
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
Contact Biketronics and see what they have.
News from the 12v world is that Jensen unit is a bit of a Dog
Hmm....thats weird because news from the Harley audio world is that the thing works great. Have only heard of ONE that was faulty and it was immediately replaced under warranty.

"DUDE!...Your exhaust is making the ground shake!" Circa March 2014, Born Losers MC, Atlanta.
Eshaw301 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 11:38 AM
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshaw301 View Post
Hmm....thats weird because news from the Harley audio world is that the thing works great. Have only heard of ONE that was faulty and it was immediately replaced under warranty.
We're not talking about out of the box failures...we're talking real world applications.
We has a customer bring us one for install.
Without an amp, it's way under powered.
They state 50 watts per channel max, great, but it's 17 watt RMS.
Could not get the AVC to work...not sure if it was a defect or just not there.
It originally claimed 4-8 ohm compatible, then after questioning from some users it was changed to 2-8 ohms, but open it up and look at the circuit...it's a 4 ohm unit.

People will buy it, people will like it...people bought and liked Yugos
racer-x is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Administrator
 
dbell66253's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 12,263
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshaw301 View Post
Hmm....thats weird because news from the Harley audio world is that the thing works great. Have only heard of ONE that was faulty and it was immediately replaced under warranty.
Harley also thinks the OEM head unit is great, lol. But to each his own, personally I wouldn't even consider the Jensen.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2010 FLTRX With Plenty of extras, goes by the name "Hardeshia"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Also not pictured 2016 FLTRXS and 2017 FLTRXS, you never can have too many SHARKS......
dbell66253 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Member
 
Fenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NE Wisconsin
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshaw301 View Post
you want waterproof and factory controls to stay in tact, correct? If so, then try the Jensen HD1BT. Its a direct replacement for HK radios and should work in your year bike. If not, then you'll have to get an aftermarket unit, the box for controls interface, and a spalsh shield.
HK was first used in 2007, his '01 would have the older Radio Sound unit - not sure if the Jensen is compatible with that.

Edit: Just did a quick google search, looks like the Jensen is made as a direct replacement for both - fits 1998-2013.


OP, I would suggest the Biketronics of HawgWired kit, both allow you to use handlebar controls. Be aware though, the Biketronics kit retains the AVC (Automatic Volume Control)function but the HawgWired does not.

As for a HU, the Alpine 149BT is very popular, marine units are only mildly water resistant. They are made to withstand marine applications - direct sunlight, salty air, some moisture - they are far from waterproof.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 FLTRI - Custom Paint: Glacier White Pearl & Vivid Black with Blue Flake, 12" Buky Malos, Dragos Dragula, Monroe DIY Air Shocks
2001 XLH1200 - Black & Chrome

Last edited by Fenny; 07-15-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Fenny is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Prospect
 
Eshaw301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL G.A. by way of Wash. D.C.
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
We're not talking about out of the box failures...we're talking real world applications.
We has a customer bring us one for install.
Without an amp, it's way under powered.
They state 50 watts per channel max, great, but it's 17 watt RMS.
Could not get the AVC to work...not sure if it was a defect or just not there.
It originally claimed 4-8 ohm compatible, then after questioning from some users it was changed to 2-8 ohms, but open it up and look at the circuit...it's a 4 ohm unit.

People will buy it, people will like it...people bought and liked Yugos
I cant see any radio being a powerhouse that only puts out 17 watts per channel. Hell, most of the top aftermarket radios put out 22 watts per channel. What kind of power are you looking for from an amplifier circuit board the size of a business card? And as far as AVC goes, I still am looking for an aftermarket system that allows the user to keep AVC. And if thats the only knock on it, then hell, i'll just use my thumb and the volume switch on the handlebar when it needs to be turned up. And also, what makes you determine that its a 4 ohm curcuit by looking at it?

I have seen NUMEROUS websites that state that this unit is 2-8 ohm stable. I highly doubt that ASA electronics would spend time, money and energy designing a radio that doesnt work in the system it was designed for. To me, it was a marketing issue....plain and simple. Whoever they paid to market this product probably made a mistake when stating the ohm stability of the unit. I think its definitely worth a shot. For someone who is just looking to replace a factory unit with one that has the same durability but with a few more features, this unit is great. Hell, im strongly considering adding one to my bike and I have a little bit more than the stock stereo setup. Seems like a decent unit made by ASA electronics. Thats not the same company that has been making the regular Jensen products. Hell...some folks swear by Polk audio components...which are made by ASA...but dont trust a radio made by them??? Hmmm...

"DUDE!...Your exhaust is making the ground shake!" Circa March 2014, Born Losers MC, Atlanta.
Eshaw301 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Prospect
 
Eshaw301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL G.A. by way of Wash. D.C.
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenny View Post
HK was first used in 2007, his '01 would have the older Radio Sound unit - not sure if the Jensen is compatible with that....
Check fitment here....https://www.denniskirk.com/jensen/am...rd/4000240.sku

"DUDE!...Your exhaust is making the ground shake!" Circa March 2014, Born Losers MC, Atlanta.
Eshaw301 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 01:32 PM
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshaw301 View Post
I cant see any radio being a powerhouse that only puts out 17 watts per channel. Hell, most of the top aftermarket radios put out 22 watts per channel. What kind of power are you looking for from an amplifier circuit board the size of a business card? And as far as AVC goes, I still am looking for an aftermarket system that allows the user to keep AVC. And if thats the only knock on it, then hell, i'll just use my thumb and the volume switch on the handlebar when it needs to be turned up. And also, what makes you determine that its a 4 ohm curcuit by looking at it?

I have seen NUMEROUS websites that state that this unit is 2-8 ohm stable. I highly doubt that ASA electronics would spend time, money and energy designing a radio that doesnt work in the system it was designed for. To me, it was a marketing issue....plain and simple. Whoever they paid to market this product probably made a mistake when stating the ohm stability of the unit. I think its definitely worth a shot. For someone who is just looking to replace a factory unit with one that has the same durability but with a few more features, this unit is great. Hell, im strongly considering adding one to my bike and I have a little bit more than the stock stereo setup. Seems like a decent unit made by ASA electronics. Thats not the same company that has been making the regular Jensen products. Hell...some folks swear by Polk audio components...which are made by ASA...but dont trust a radio made by them??? Hmmm...
wow...numerous website re-printing what ASA puts out...that's valid.
Would ASA say its 2-ohm stable....i guess.
Open the unit, look at the output IC and tell me it's 2 ohm stable.
Doent mean it will blow today or tomorrow, but it's a 4 ohm system...but what do I know...only been doing this for 25 years...

Biketronics retains AVC

Would ASA spend time and money on a unit that does not work in the system...AVC does not work...so you tell me.

So ASA is not Jensen...just wanted to use that stellar name and reputation...

Look, it's not personal.
You want to buy one...God bless you.
But you seem like you need everyone here to like the unit so you can justify it's purchase.
I installed it...i used it...and I found it lacking....

Moving on from this discussion... hope everyone has enough info
racer-x is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Valve intake noise/cam overload noise Budd559 Engine Related 9 02-15-2016 05:23 AM
video and popup overload h-donut Forum Help Desk (Post Forum Issues Here) 6 05-25-2015 09:18 AM
More Helmet Info BillyBob Helmets 9 10-28-2012 12:54 AM
Handlebar overload!!! Garemlin Controls & Handlebars 3 10-19-2012 05:40 AM
mutazu trunk info kyjelly44 Aftermarket Accessories 8 03-06-2010 09:01 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome