So frustrated with this crap - Road Glide Forums
Audio List your speakers and audio solutions for the roadglide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
Cory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 247
So frustrated with this crap

So for the past few months I've been listening to pandora and XM phone apps via bluetooth. I want to connect to these apps through the USB connection. All I get in the IPOD which has no music on it.

How is it I can connect via BT but not through the USB?

Yes, I've read the BOOM!tm BOX manual and it's useless.

Need the experts

2015 RGS Amber Whiskey
Cory is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
Cory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 247
I guess I need this BS part to connect directly to the HD radio.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...iary-input-kit

How is it that my USB connection to my Kenwood in my vehicle works just find through USB but it won't do sh!t on the Harley BOOM!tm BOX........

2015 RGS Amber Whiskey
Cory is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 04:06 AM
Hangaround
 
BrewCitySinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 177
Are you using an Apple product that has the new 8 pin connector? And if so, are you using an Apple brand USB cable to make the connection to the bike?

I'm asking cause I had a similar issue with my iPod and iPhone 6 with the Iron Cross iPod dock. Found an article where they talk about how Apple does things differently with the new 8 pin connector.

Long short story, only way I got it to work is to not use a generic connecting cord. Not sure of the difference, but it worked flawlessly with the Apple cord.
BrewCitySinner is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
Cory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCitySinner View Post
Are you using an Apple product that has the new 8 pin connector? And if so, are you using an Apple brand USB cable to make the connection to the bike?

I'm asking cause I had a similar issue with my iPod and iPhone 6 with the Iron Cross iPod dock. Found an article where they talk about how Apple does things differently with the new 8 pin connector.

Long short story, only way I got it to work is to not use a generic connecting cord. Not sure of the difference, but it worked flawlessly with the Apple cord.
That's a good point. I am using an Apple cord. As soon as I connect the I6 the radio recognizes the device but will only see the ipod. But if I take the same cord and I6 and connect it to the USB connected to my Kenwood inside my vehicle, I can access Pandora and Sirius apps. But you are saying that you can connect and Pandora or sirius works for you?

BT would be the obvious solution. But the quality of the signal is not as good as it is when it's connected via USB. If I have to stick with BT then I might as well stick with the stock set up and forget about after market amp and speakers. Why spend the money on a quality system if the quality of the signal is degraded.

2015 RGS Amber Whiskey
Cory is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 10:58 AM
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Redneck Riviera
Posts: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
That's a good point. I am using an Apple cord. As soon as I connect the I6 the radio recognizes the device but will only see the ipod. But if I take the same cord and I6 and connect it to the USB connected to my Kenwood inside my vehicle, I can access Pandora and Sirius apps. But you are saying that you can connect and Pandora or sirius works for you?

BT would be the obvious solution. But the quality of the signal is not as good as it is when it's connected via USB. If I have to stick with BT then I might as well stick with the stock set up and forget about after market amp and speakers. Why spend the money on a quality system if the quality of the signal is degraded.
The sound quality of the Bluetooth has always amazed me...

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

'09 SERG 117/DD7 "THE SHORT BUS"
HeatWave is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
Cory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 247
Not me. When I have the radio set on the local rock station the music is load and clear. When I go BT, the music volume is considerably less and not as crisp.
Cory is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 02:13 PM
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Acton, CA
Posts: 132
Odd... I have also found that BT audio from my Android to the Boom radio is actually a little better (fuller) than the USB connection to a USB stick, but that could be the sound processing on the phone, although I have EQ settings set to None on the phone, and set with the same bass and treble on the boom radio for BT and USB.

Having said that, I almost always use the USB stick for music for convenience sake... For me, I'm not overly concerned about music quality while riding with wind and other noise all around me - as long I can hear the song, I'm happy for the most part. I leave quality for our home theater and music room, and am very picky there .

2015 Road Glide Special

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by caberto; 03-19-2015 at 02:17 PM.
caberto is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
Cory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 247
I know the quality isn't there while riding. My frustration is that the USB is limited to charging the battery and accessing IPOD on the I6 and I couldn't access my apps for Pandora and Sirius.

Petty but for the money we've spent on these bikes one would think stuff should work seamlessly
Cory is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 02:55 PM
Life Member
 
09Sharknose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Posts: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
I know the quality isn't there while riding. My frustration is that the USB is limited to charging the battery and accessing IPOD on the I6 and I couldn't access my apps for Pandora and Sirius.



Petty but for the money we've spent on these bikes one would think stuff should work seamlessly

Have you tried connecting the phone to the usb cable from your head unit and then turning the pandora or xm app on from your phone? Or are you just trying to use the head unit to control it?


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
09Sharknose is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Prospect
 
Cory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 247
Yes. But the radio doesn't see it.

2015 RGS Amber Whiskey
Cory is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SO FRUSTRATED!!! Need help with front wheel allignment Steelerdude1 *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 12 07-22-2015 04:36 PM
Frustrated at this bike/dealer. kyle31490 *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 109 05-24-2015 11:05 AM
Frustrated 1stMarDiv ECM/Fuel Management systems 2 09-22-2014 10:16 PM
Fairweather starting issues...frustrated!!! Johnzz1420 Troubleshooting for Road Glides 9 11-17-2013 08:33 AM
Frustrated with Yaffe..ordered Chop Chop Tour Pack 13-FLTRX Paint & Bodywork Section 2 04-20-2013 06:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome