Infinity Kappa 62.11I - Road Glide Forums
Audio List your speakers and audio solutions for the roadglide.

View Poll Results: Did you have any problems installing Infinity Kappa 62.11I speakers in your 2015 RG?
Infinity Kappa 62.11I no installation issues in 2015 RG 5 71.43%
Infinity Kappa 62.11I speakers prevent one or both grills from snapping back into place 2 28.57%
Infinity Kappa 62.11I surround cone damaged after installation 0 0%
Infinity Kappa 62.11I other issues encountered (please elaborate in post) 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
wevsspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: God's Country
Posts: 1,740
Garage
Infinity Kappa 62.11I

Specifics:
Bike - 2015 Road Glide
Stereo - Stock HU
AMP - Cerwin-Vega B2

I ordered a set of Infinity Kappa 62.11I speakers to replace my JBL GTO638 speakers. The JBL's have been great speakers, but after installing my new AMP I got the itch to try some higher dollar speakers. After much debate and discourse over at HDForums I caved and bought the Kappas instead of a couple different options that I was considering.

While I did a bunch of research prior to hitting the "Buy" button, since I've been waiting for the new speakers to arrive I've had time to continue my research and a couple of things have come up specifically concerning the Kappas.

Issue #1
Some installers are reporting issues with the speaker grill hitting the tweeter and/or the surround ring.

Issue #2
Some installers are reporting that their surround ring is separating from the speaker cone. Some users are speculating that this might be caused by the surround cone hitting the grill tabs after installation, and others are speculating that it is a quality issue with the speaker itself.

So for those of you running the Kappas + AMP + 2015 RG..... Have any of you experienced the same problems as noted in #1 and #2 above? Other than needing longer installation screws are there any other fitment issues with the Kappas and the speaker enclosure or the speaker grills after installing the Kappas? Have any of you noticed any damage to the speaker surround cone after installation?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wevsspot; 11-24-2015 at 02:33 PM.
wevsspot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 05:29 AM
Hangaround
 
Justposts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 121
I was hoping you would have had some feedback by now. I've got a set of Kappas I plan on installing this winter, and have the same concerns.
Justposts is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
wevsspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: God's Country
Posts: 1,740
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justposts View Post
I was hoping you would have had some feedback by now. I've got a set of Kappas I plan on installing this winter, and have the same concerns.
Kappas went in. Speaker mounting holes align with the factory speaker holes (no surprise there). No issues with the magnet or speaker frame fitting into the factory speaker enclosures, so getting it all tucked in = no problems at all.

I knew that the Kappas had screws instead of spade terminals for speaker wire attachment so no surprise there (other than wondering about the engineering decision to go that route).

You will have to play around with the tweeter orientation to prevent interference with the stock grill. Luckily the tweeter domes spin around almost a full 360 degrees allowing for a lot of latitude in the orientation to clear the stock grill.

My factory grills snapped back into place without any problems once I had the tweeter domes properly oriented.

My main surprise was that I wasn't completely blown away in SQ difference between the Kappas and the JBL GTO368 speakers that I was swapped out. The Kappas sound and appear to kick harder than the JBLs in mid-bass and have a bit more lower end in them, but part of that may be because I stuffed my enclosures with polyfil since I was in there any way. The Kappa high frequencies sound like they have more detail, but there does sound like some dead space in the mids where the JBLs benefited from being a triax instead of coax design.

Strangely enough, optimal AMP gain and frequency adjustment on the Cerwin-Vega B2 were almost exactly the same between both sets of speakers. And I spent a lot of time on those with the installation of the Kappas. Setting baseline AMP gain using the DMM method, then tweaking from there using test tones and finally music. Same thing for the frequency adjustment.

Once again I opted to use the HP crossover and tweaked the frequency using test tones of 60Hz, 80Hz and 100Hz - 0dB. My full power range is kicking in at around 100Hz but still passing through some audio between 60-80Hz.

I'm hoping that over time the Kappas will break in and start to sound better, but I'm not sure based on initial impressions that they are $70 better speakers than the JBLs they replaced. I would have probably kept the JBLs and sold the Kappas, but some aggressive use of test tones and gain in the 400Hz range cooked the voice coils


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wevsspot is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 07:50 PM
Life Member
 
Big_gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: GA.
Posts: 8,021
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevsspot View Post
Kappas went in. Speaker mounting holes align with the factory speaker holes (no surprise there). No issues with the magnet or speaker frame fitting into the factory speaker enclosures, so getting it all tucked in = no problems at all.

I knew that the Kappas had screws instead of spade terminals for speaker wire attachment so no surprise there (other than wondering about the engineering decision to go that route).

You will have to play around with the tweeter orientation to prevent interference with the stock grill. Luckily the tweeter domes spin around almost a full 360 degrees allowing for a lot of latitude in the orientation to clear the stock grill.

My factory grills snapped back into place without any problems once I had the tweeter domes properly oriented.

My main surprise was that I wasn't completely blown away in SQ difference between the Kappas and the JBL GTO368 speakers that I was swapped out. The Kappas sound and appear to kick harder than the JBLs in mid-bass and have a bit more lower end in them, but part of that may be because I stuffed my enclosures with polyfil since I was in there any way. The Kappa high frequencies sound like they have more detail, but there does sound like some dead space in the mids where the JBLs benefited from being a triax instead of coax design.

Strangely enough, optimal AMP gain and frequency adjustment on the Cerwin-Vega B2 were almost exactly the same between both sets of speakers. And I spent a lot of time on those with the installation of the Kappas. Setting baseline AMP gain using the DMM method, then tweaking from there using test tones and finally music. Same thing for the frequency adjustment.

Once again I opted to use the HP crossover and tweaked the frequency using test tones of 60Hz, 80Hz and 100Hz - 0dB. My full power range is kicking in at around 100Hz but still passing through some audio between 60-80Hz.

I'm hoping that over time the Kappas will break in and start to sound better, but I'm not sure based on initial impressions that they are $70 better speakers than the JBLs they replaced. I would have probably kept the JBLs and sold the Kappas, but some aggressive use of test tones and gain in the 400Hz range cooked the voice coils
I see the Kappa's have a higher sensitivity level (94) over the GTO's at (92) also. So they should play a little louder at the same volume too.
I'm doing the opposite, I currently have the Kappa's in the lower fairings and plan on changing out with the GTO's sitting on the work bench.

2010 FLTRX , Stage 1, 13" Madstad, Mono tubes, SuperShox, Heritage style bars. Alpine CDE-HD149BT,Soundstream Picasso Nano Series PN4.520 , 5X7 and 6.5 Infinity Kappa speakers
If I have to explain ,you wouldn't under stand anyway.
Big_gary is online now  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
wevsspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: God's Country
Posts: 1,740
Garage
Hey BG, will be interesting hearing your feedback between the two.
wevsspot is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 09:25 PM
Life Member
 
Big_gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: GA.
Posts: 8,021
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevsspot View Post
Hey BG, will be interesting hearing your feedback between the two.
Will do, but it's probably going to be a month or so. It's pretty low on the priority list right now.

2010 FLTRX , Stage 1, 13" Madstad, Mono tubes, SuperShox, Heritage style bars. Alpine CDE-HD149BT,Soundstream Picasso Nano Series PN4.520 , 5X7 and 6.5 Infinity Kappa speakers
If I have to explain ,you wouldn't under stand anyway.
Big_gary is online now  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 03:10 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 26
I went with jbl in my lower fairings, and took them out because of the speaker grill. The speaker fit perfect but the grill wouldn't fit in the inner fairing.
03rkjc is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
wevsspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: God's Country
Posts: 1,740
Garage
Just an update on grill fitment issues. Recently I was back into the fairing adjusting my AMP gains with a TPI 440 Plus that I borrowed from work. When I originally installed the Kappas I tinned the wires, put a dab of blue Loctite on the terminal set screws and snugged them down.

Well...... on the left hand speaker the Loctite set hard and I broke the terminal housing trying to get the dang screw out. Ruining one speaker

So I plop down $139 for another set of Kappas figuring that heck, now I'll always have one spare. On the new set of Kappas that I got there is some grill interference with the speaker basket ring. It's worse on the right hand side of the bike. Left hand side snapped right in without issue. Swapped both new speakers around and results are the same. The grill will snap into place but the tab is sitting right on top of the speaker basket ring. The only thing I can figure is that there is some manufacturing variance in the height of the speaker ring, because the first set went in and cleared completely.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wevsspot is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 07:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Port Arthur, Texas
Posts: 408
check and make sure the kappa is missing the little nipple on the pod, I can see that you could have it not fall into a hollow area on the mounting ring of the kappa (I actually cut the nipples off)
Bunker is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Life Member
 
wevsspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: God's Country
Posts: 1,740
Garage
I did that too


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wevsspot is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Infinity Kappa 62.11i almost new kaptkaos Parts for Sale 8 05-23-2017 03:13 PM
Yet another RF PBR300X2 and Infinity Kappa 62.11i Thread! Ganooch Audio 30 10-14-2015 07:36 PM
Infinity Kappa 62.11i question slbaker232 Audio 8 07-08-2015 05:53 AM
Free PBR300x2 and Infinity Kappa 62.11i UltraNutZ Audio 1 02-27-2015 03:18 PM
Infinity Kappa 62.11i Big_gary Audio 1 05-21-2014 08:24 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome