SoundStream PN4.520D - Ghost Radio Station - Road Glide Forums
Audio List your speakers and audio solutions for the roadglide.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 80
Garage
SoundStream PN4.520D - Ghost Radio Station

I finally finished getting my amp wired up to the bike. Soon I am going to do the final mounting and get the wiring cleaned up.
During the first test, I noticed a radio frequency playing on the speakers before the stereo turned on. It does not interfere with the stereo but I would like to stop it if possible.
I am concerned the speaker wire I used is not of high enough quality. Would that cause the speakers to pick a station as described?
Any ideas? Thanks!

12 Road Glide Ultra - Ember Red Sunglo
98 Heritage Springer - Blue on Black
06 Yamaha FJR1300 - Dark Purplish Blue Metallic
GRider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 06:24 PM
Life Member
 
Big_gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: GA.
Posts: 8,022
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRider View Post
I finally finished getting my amp wired up to the bike. Soon I am going to do the final mounting and get the wiring cleaned up.
During the first test, I noticed a radio frequency playing on the speakers before the stereo turned on. It does not interfere with the stereo but I would like to stop it if possible.
I am concerned the speaker wire I used is not of high enough quality. Would that cause the speakers to pick a station as described?
Any ideas? Thanks!
Never heard of that before,. Are you sure it's a radio station and not static?

2010 FLTRX , Stage 1, 13" Madstad, Mono tubes, SuperShox, Heritage style bars. Alpine CDE-HD149BT,Soundstream Picasso Nano Series PN4.520 , 5X7 and 6.5 Infinity Kappa speakers
If I have to explain ,you wouldn't under stand anyway.
Big_gary is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 06:35 PM
Life Member
 
09Sharknose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Posts: 2,098
Low quality wires will sometimes pick up interference. Never heard of it being a specific radio station, but it's usually characterized by static or a whining noise.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
09Sharknose is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 80
Garage
I'll purchase new wire and see if that doesn't clear the station. It's a station...I can clearly hear music until the radio comes on.
Always appreciate feedback...Thanks!

12 Road Glide Ultra - Ember Red Sunglo
98 Heritage Springer - Blue on Black
06 Yamaha FJR1300 - Dark Purplish Blue Metallic
GRider is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 07:08 PM
Life Member
 
Big_gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: GA.
Posts: 8,022
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRider View Post
I'll purchase new wire and see if that doesn't clear the station. It's a station...I can clearly hear music until the radio comes on.
Always appreciate feedback...Thanks!
You may be in a doorway entering into the 5th Dimension.

2010 FLTRX , Stage 1, 13" Madstad, Mono tubes, SuperShox, Heritage style bars. Alpine CDE-HD149BT,Soundstream Picasso Nano Series PN4.520 , 5X7 and 6.5 Infinity Kappa speakers
If I have to explain ,you wouldn't under stand anyway.
Big_gary is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 80
Garage
I did not hook up the center ground on the high level input harness. Ultranutz has a post in a thread that essentially says the ground wire is not needed. I also used his amp level set tutorial...Thanks Ultranutz!
If you installed the SoundStream PN4.520 did you use the ground wire? Just curious about other folk's installs.
Thanks!

12 Road Glide Ultra - Ember Red Sunglo
98 Heritage Springer - Blue on Black
06 Yamaha FJR1300 - Dark Purplish Blue Metallic
GRider is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 08:05 PM
Life Member
 
Big_gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: GA.
Posts: 8,022
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRider View Post
I did not hook up the center ground on the high level input harness. Ultranutz has a post in a thread that essentially says the ground wire is not needed. I also used his amp level set tutorial...Thanks Ultranutz!
If you installed the SoundStream PN4.520 did you use the ground wire? Just curious about other folk's installs.
Thanks!
Yes, I did. Why would you not need a ground wire ? New to me.

Edit... I misread your post. I'm connected via rca cables.

2010 FLTRX , Stage 1, 13" Madstad, Mono tubes, SuperShox, Heritage style bars. Alpine CDE-HD149BT,Soundstream Picasso Nano Series PN4.520 , 5X7 and 6.5 Infinity Kappa speakers
If I have to explain ,you wouldn't under stand anyway.

Last edited by Big_gary; 03-20-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Big_gary is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 80
Garage
No problem Gary!...I appreciate the fact you speak up Brother. You have several times in the past. Thanks!

12 Road Glide Ultra - Ember Red Sunglo
98 Heritage Springer - Blue on Black
06 Yamaha FJR1300 - Dark Purplish Blue Metallic
GRider is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 11:15 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Middle of no where
Posts: 23
Garage
Soundstream Nano PN4.520

I have a 2005 HD radio-sound HU
I put this amp in last year with two 6.5 Kappa 11e speakers and big improvement. Both recommendations from this site.


I have a question as pondering adding lower speakers as well but the pods are expensive and slim pickings for the old non vented FLTR lowers.

Where are the most reasonable lower fairing pods to be found?

This amp has two high speaker level inputs. Would I ever use the second set of inputs? I just pulled the old speaker lines and ran through one of the high level speaker inputs?

I have not bridged the amp but if only using one set of inputs would be make sense to bridge and up the power.
The instructions with the Amp are lame. and the English is poor.
eg Function is Funtion in the manual.

Thanks, just sitting at computer waiting for the road to clear of snow( so lots of time to ponder shit) like this!
TheRef73 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 05:16 PM
Life Member
 
Big_gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: GA.
Posts: 8,022
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRef73 View Post
I have a 2005 HD radio-sound HU
I put this amp in last year with two 6.5 Kappa 11e speakers and big improvement. Both recommendations from this site.


I have a question as pondering adding lower speakers as well but the pods are expensive and slim pickings for the old non vented FLTR lowers.

Where are the most reasonable lower fairing pods to be found?

This amp has two high speaker level inputs. Would I ever use the second set of inputs? I just pulled the old speaker lines and ran through one of the high level speaker inputs?

I have not bridged the amp but if only using one set of inputs would be make sense to bridge and up the power.
The instructions with the Amp are lame. and the English is poor.
eg Function is Funtion in the manual.

Thanks, just sitting at computer waiting for the road to clear of snow( so lots of time to ponder shit) like this!
It might be a better option to add the 2010 fairing brackets and buy Mutazu vented lowers with 6.5 speaker pods. This mod will also give you a better high speed stability by tilting the front of the fairing down.

You will only need both connections if your running 4 speakers or bridging channels. If you decide to bridge the amp, you better make sure your speakers can handle the load. Bridging is usually used for powering a bass speaker, not coaxial speakers.

2010 FLTRX , Stage 1, 13" Madstad, Mono tubes, SuperShox, Heritage style bars. Alpine CDE-HD149BT,Soundstream Picasso Nano Series PN4.520 , 5X7 and 6.5 Infinity Kappa speakers
If I have to explain ,you wouldn't under stand anyway.
Big_gary is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soundstream PN4.520D amplifier bucketlisthd Parts for Sale 3 08-23-2018 06:42 PM
Soundstream PN4.520D mounting in fairing blackshark Audio 3 05-23-2017 08:25 PM
AMP-Soundstream Picasso Nano PN4:520D SJA66 Miscellaneous for Sale 4 09-20-2016 07:02 AM
AMP mounts for Soundstream PN4.520d Jims79FLH Parts for Sale 3 10-01-2014 03:46 PM
Got my PN4.520D...Now a couple questions. Fenny Audio 9 04-21-2014 08:47 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome