Focal vs Fosgate - Road Glide Forums
Audio List your speakers and audio solutions for the roadglide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
 
dbell66253's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 12,234
Garage
Focal vs Fosgate

Ok, I know some are already saying not a fair comparison, and I must admit it's true. I'm in the process of changing out my audio, and since all my parts aren't here yet, I'm getting bored and fooling around. Anyway I had a set of RF T1675s in my lowers, they sound good, but I decided since I'm up grading my Focals in the fairing, I will put some in the lowers also. I took the left RF out and replaced it with a Focal 165 CA1, I turned the stereo on, the difference between the right channel, (RF), and left, (Focal) is unbelieveable. the Focal is truly superior. The RF's cost me somewhere around $80, the Focals $100, the Focals are well worth the extra $20. I just wish the Focals were thin enough to go on the inner fairing without altering the glove box, I'd put them there also.

2010 FLTRX With Plenty of extras, goes by the name "Hardeshia"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Also not pictured 2016 FLTRXS and 2017 FLTRXS, you never can have too many SHARKS......
dbell66253 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Life Member
 
RichieRich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 4,838
Re: Focal vs Fosgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbell66253 View Post
Ok, I know some are already saying not a fair comparison, and I must admit it's true. I'm in the process of changing out my audio, and since all my parts aren't here yet, I'm getting bored and fooling around. Anyway I had a set of RF T1675s in my lowers, they sound good, but I decided since I'm up grading my Focals in the fairing, I will put some in the lowers also. I took the left RF out and replaced it with a Focal 165 CA1, I turned the stereo on, the difference between the right channel, (RF), and left, (Focal) is unbelieveable. the Focal is truly superior. The RF's cost me somewhere around $80, the Focals $100, the Focals are well worth the extra $20. I just wish the Focals were thin enough to go on the inner fairing without altering the glove box, I'd put them there also.
You have had the polk mm651 as well correct? How would you compare the focal to them? They are $130 on ebay.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2013 BBP FLTRX
Owner/Operator of "Papa Smurf"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RichieRich is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Prospect
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 205
What set of Focals are you using?
wfowill is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Prospect
 
UltraNutZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRichMRMC View Post
You have had the polk mm651 as well correct? How would you compare the focal to them? They are $130 on ebay.
years and years of audio here and Focal has always been ranked up there with the best of the best so I don't question the quality;

1.) yeah you're right there is no comparison to RF speakers. That's like comparing Klipsch to Audiovox
2.) I too would like a "non-biased" opinion on this since I can't seem to get a knowledgeable comparison of apples to apples but instead I get $700 Focals being compared to the MM651s.

2012 FLHTK - VTPBB

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 02-18-2013 at 02:19 PM.
UltraNutZ is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
 
dbell66253's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 12,234
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRichMRMC View Post
You have had the polk mm651 as well correct? How would you compare the focal to them? They are $130 on ebay.
Well RR lets put it this way, if you are planning on doing 4 speakers, definetly go with the Focal, the 4 ohms each in parallel making it 2 ohms will bring out the power and they will be able to handle it. If you are only going to be doing 2 speakers, I'd probably choose the Polks soley because they can handle a little more power, and the Polks do sound good, IMO they sound better than the RF's also, more crisp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfowill View Post
What set of Focals are you using?
I have the 165 CA1s in the lowers, that's Focals bottom line entry level, but I have a set of 165KRX2s on order that will be going in my fairing.

2010 FLTRX With Plenty of extras, goes by the name "Hardeshia"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Also not pictured 2016 FLTRXS and 2017 FLTRXS, you never can have too many SHARKS......
dbell66253 is online now  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
 
dbell66253's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 12,234
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraNutZ View Post
years and years of audio here and Focal has always been ranked up there with the best of the best so I don't question the quality;

1.) yeah you're right there is no comparison to RF speakers. That's like comparing Klipsch to Audiovox
2.) I too would like a "non-biased" opinion on this since I can't seem to get a knowledgeable comparison of apples to apples but instead I get $700 Focals being compared to the MM651s.
Ultra.. I payed $350 for the Focals I have on order, it was a deal that I didn't want to pass up, I had never seen them under $700, and I know how they sound. You're right, their should be no comparison between them and the Polks. The ones I'm comparing are Focals entry level that can be had for $100. I will give the Polks an edge, And I do like the Polk MM series, in fact I'm installing MM691's in my saddlebag lids.

2010 FLTRX With Plenty of extras, goes by the name "Hardeshia"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Also not pictured 2016 FLTRXS and 2017 FLTRXS, you never can have too many SHARKS......
dbell66253 is online now  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Life Member
 
RichieRich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 4,838
Re: Focal vs Fosgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbell66253 View Post
Well RR lets put it this way, if you are planning on doing 4 speakers, definetly go with the Focal, the 4 ohms each in parallel making it 2 ohms will bring out the power and they will be able to handle it. If you are only going to be doing 2 speakers, I'd probably choose the Polks soley because they can handle a little more power, and the Polks do sound good, IMO they sound better than the RF's also, more crisp.



I have the 165 CA1s in the lowers, that's Focals bottom line entry level, but I have a set of 165KRX2s on order that will be going in my fairing.
Thanks for the intel bruh.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2013 BBP FLTRX
Owner/Operator of "Papa Smurf"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RichieRich is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 150
Which I could get a pair of 165kr2 for that price I'd be all over it to.
spender9 is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Prospect
 
UltraNutZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbell66253 View Post
Ultra.. I payed $350 for the Focals I have on order, it was a deal that I didn't want to pass up, I had never seen them under $700, and I know how they sound. You're right, their should be no comparison between them and the Polks. The ones I'm comparing are Focals entry level that can be had for $100. I will give the Polks an edge, And I do like the Polk MM series, in fact I'm installing MM691's in my saddlebag lids.
Killer deal.. I'd be all over that too!

2012 FLHTK - VTPBB
UltraNutZ is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Life Member
 
GlideShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,474
Focal vs Fosgate

The KRXs will be bad ass. I have a set of mid to higher level. Paid a pretty penny ($600 on sale) but sound great (blows my old HW out now that they are broken in). Don't have the model number on me (always forget; focals have too many model numbers) Guess we are yuppie, credit card riders lol but I bust my ass for my money. Lowers next! When I am down in FL I would like to hear your set up and go from there. Good luck man
GlideShark is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock vs Arnott vs Legends vs HD Premium SEUGOT1 Suspensions 15 04-25-2017 10:10 AM
Thundermax vs DynoVision vs PwrPro Black vs FP3 stillsoldier4christ ECM/Fuel Management systems 16 10-01-2016 12:42 AM
Arc Moto 602 vs Focal K2 Dmize Audio 9 06-06-2016 10:36 AM
Fosgate media center vs Sony Marine btbeam Audio 27 04-07-2016 06:10 PM
Anyone using "Focal" component set up with Rockford Fosgate 300 amp? Valduzy Audio 2 04-04-2014 01:13 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome