Rear Facing AUX. Need some help. - Road Glide Forums
Audio List your speakers and audio solutions for the roadglide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Hangaround
 
adam_twenty6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 188
Rear Facing AUX. Need some help.

I saw the thread about getting the AUX wire ran thru the back of the HK and wanted to do it since that is the input I use most. I ran a cable into the back of the HK and soldered the wires into place. Then I cut the board where it showed so the AUX input would be active without the plug in the face of the HK.

Then I plugged in my ipod and the left speaker is really weak. I changed to my phone AUX, still weak left signal. Used another AUX cord and plugged into the front of the HK, still weak left signal. Re-Soldered the wires to the board, still weak left signal.

I double checked the Red-Right, Black-Left. they are hooked up correct. All 3 wires on AUX cable ohm out. There is 200 ohm resistance between all three of the AUX jack points on the board. CD player and radio do NOT have weak left signal. both right and left channels have same volume output on those sources.

Could it be possible that I cut the board too deep and possilby cut thru a portion of the left channel signal conductor? Any input would be helpful. I don't want to replace the HK if I don't have to. Mainly because I don't want to shell out the $$ for the hand control adaptor.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo1.jpg (95.9 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (93.9 KB, 137 views)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 FLTR 105th. thundermax, rinehart true duals, custom paint, K&N High Flow, BAL tail light, 2+2 bars, -1 rear, Hawg Wired and RF Audio, avon grips and more $hit the wife don't know about, for now....
adam_twenty6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 05:55 AM
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 82
Yea...you cut it too deep.
Cutting the trace is not the proper way to do that. The circuit should have been modified.

Try Iron Cross Audio, they can probably get you straightened out.
racer-x is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 08:10 AM
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 111
The cut was way too long.

Use these directions: http://www.hdbomm.com/Aux_Cable_on_Harmon_Kardon.doc

Last edited by pilot; 03-12-2013 at 09:00 AM.
pilot is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Newbie
 
phoenix9222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Posts: 31
Link problem

Link didn'twork for me, I found it by going to http://www.hdbomm.com/index.html
then scrowl down to the thread for
Rear Auxiliary Input Jack Modifications for the Harmon Kardon Radio
hope this helps.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Road Glide Ultra (Black)
no cat, CVO mufflers with 2" full-sac baffles
Wild One Chubbys 10"
Detchable Tour Pak
Stage 1
Rear Facia Install
14" WindVest
Cobra Powrpro FI2000
Polk MM651, speakers in faring
Polk MM521, speakers in tourpak pods
phoenix9222 is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Member
 
sdlakerfan79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
Yea...you cut it too deep.
Cutting the trace is not the proper way to do that. The circuit should have been modified.

Try Iron Cross Audio, they can probably get you straightened out.
Thanks for this info... i always thought cutting the trace was the only way to go.
sdlakerfan79 is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Life Member
 
DED HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Iowa City
Posts: 4,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_twenty6 View Post

Could it be possible that I cut the board too deep and possilby cut thru a portion of the left channel signal conductor? Any input would be helpful. I don't want to replace the HK if I don't have to. Mainly because I don't want to shell out the $$ for the hand control adaptor.
Unfortunately you did not know about the new way to 'trick' the unit that something is plugged in to the aux jack in front. Rather than cutting the trace, the new way requires you to remove an inductor from the circuit board using a pencil solder.
Otherwise, make sure you have a good solder on the left+, and/or check to make sure you have the common -wire and the left+ and right+ wires in the right location.
hope you can get it fixed!

'10 Red Custom:
check out my build thread for pix and mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DED HD is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Waconia, MN
Posts: 450
Garage
Rear Facing AUX. Need some help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_twenty6 View Post
I saw the thread about getting the AUX wire ran thru the back of the HK and wanted to do it since that is the input I use most. I ran a cable into the back of the HK and soldered the wires into place. Then I cut the board where it showed so the AUX input would be active without the plug in the face of the HK.

Then I plugged in my ipod and the left speaker is really weak. I changed to my phone AUX, still weak left signal. Used another AUX cord and plugged into the front of the HK, still weak left signal. Re-Soldered the wires to the board, still weak left signal.

I double checked the Red-Right, Black-Left. they are hooked up correct. All 3 wires on AUX cable ohm out. There is 200 ohm resistance between all three of the AUX jack points on the board. CD player and radio do NOT have weak left signal. both right and left channels have same volume output on those sources.

Could it be possible that I cut the board too deep and possilby cut thru a portion of the left channel signal conductor? Any input would be helpful. I don't want to replace the HK if I don't have to. Mainly because I don't want to shell out the $$ for the hand control adaptor.

Thanks
I did the same thing and cut too deep, I am sending my radio into iron cross so they can fix it as soon as I get my bike back.


Sent from Motorcycle.com App

2011 RGU Vivid Black <-- FOR SALE | T-Man 555c | T-Max | HD Heavy Breather | Dragos S/C/S True Duals | Rinehart 3.5" w/Turndowns
2016 RG Special Black Quartz | S&S 124 | yaddy yada...
ksarauer is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Hangaround
 
adam_twenty6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 188
How much did they quote you for the fix? I am on the fence about replacing the HK for an aftermarket head unit.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 FLTR 105th. thundermax, rinehart true duals, custom paint, K&N High Flow, BAL tail light, 2+2 bars, -1 rear, Hawg Wired and RF Audio, avon grips and more $hit the wife don't know about, for now....
adam_twenty6 is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 06:31 AM
Member
 
outlawjessejames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Carrollton, GA
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by DED HD View Post
Unfortunately you did not know about the new way to 'trick' the unit that something is plugged in to the aux jack in front. Rather than cutting the trace, the new way requires you to remove an inductor from the circuit board using a pencil solder.
Otherwise, make sure you have a good solder on the left+, and/or check to make sure you have the common -wire and the left+ and right+ wires in the right location.
hope you can get it fixed!
DED - which inductor are you talking about? I'm considering doing this mod today and want to make sure that I don't mess ANYTHING up!! I looked at the Iron Aces write and they make it sound simple but most on here seem timid about doing this.

Thanks,

Outlaw
2012 Ultra Custom - Big Blue Pearl
outlawjessejames is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 06:55 AM
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 111
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawjessejames View Post
DED - which inductor are you talking about? I'm considering doing this mod today and want to make sure that I don't mess ANYTHING up!! I looked at the Iron Aces write and they make it sound simple but most on here seem timid about doing this.

Thanks,
Go to http://www.hdbomm.com/index.html
then scrowl down to the thread for
Rear Auxiliary Input Jack Modifications for the Harmon Kardon Radio
pilot is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Facing facts Singlebeam General Off-Topic Discussions 34 11-11-2016 07:52 PM
Front & facing cameras? JG762 *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 6 08-03-2016 07:19 PM
Front facing/ram air cleaner, good/bad? Torkmnstr Intake and Exhaust 4 04-24-2014 10:18 PM
Rear facing aux input binkley2 Audio 6 03-10-2013 09:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome