Aquatic AV-JL Audio HX280/4-Polk Audio MM652s, SMD DD1 - Road Glide Forums
Audio List your speakers and audio solutions for the roadglide.

 2Likes
  • 2 Post By roadie13
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Hangaround
 
rustyj671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NW Louisiana
Posts: 186
Garage
Aquatic AV-JL Audio HX280/4-Polk Audio MM652s, SMD DD1

So I finally changed out the HK for an Aquatic AV unit. I had to change the speakers anyway since one of the MM651s quit on me. I love the Aquatic AV unit even though it is the lower end one. It works great. All I did was plug and play. I was pressed for time, so I didn't bother trying to adjust the gains or anything. I already have the JL Audio HX280/4. In the meanwhile, I got to thinking that I really need to get back in there and adjust the gains with my DMM.....on second thought, I blew one speaker using the DMM, there has to be something better. I thought about getting an oscilloscope, but damn they are high. I kept on looking and ran across a thread here where someone mentioned Steve Meade, so I Googled that name. I saw a Youtube video of him doing setups using the DD1 and figured it was going to be more expensive than an Oscope. Wow! For $150 on Amazon, I can tune my head unit and know exactly where it starts to distort, then do the same thing on my amp. I can't wait to try it out.

My question is......has anyone here actually used one of these on an Aquatic AV? If so which dB test tone should I use?

Thanks


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'12 FLTRX ==> PV w/ TT, PM Super Gas A/C, Dragos 580 cams, Fullsac DX pipe and 2" baffles in stock muffs, 18" Badseed bars, Custom Dynamics lighting, Dunlop AE tires, Aquatic Audio, JL Audio amp, Polk speakers, Progressive Monotubes, Alloy Art Stabilizer and Cush Drive, GMR Compensaver on SE compensator, Rush Cycle Pedic seat....all thanks to this forum.
rustyj671 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 05:05 PM
Life Member
 
Big_gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: GA.
Posts: 8,008
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyj671 View Post
So I finally changed out the HK for an Aquatic AV unit. I had to change the speakers anyway since one of the MM651s quit on me. I love the Aquatic AV unit even though it is the lower end one. It works great. All I did was plug and play. I was pressed for time, so I didn't bother trying to adjust the gains or anything. I already have the JL Audio HX280/4. In the meanwhile, I got to thinking that I really need to get back in there and adjust the gains with my DMM.....on second thought, I blew one speaker using the DMM, there has to be something better. I thought about getting an oscilloscope, but damn they are high. I kept on looking and ran across a thread here where someone mentioned Steve Meade, so I Googled that name. I saw a Youtube video of him doing setups using the DD1 and figured it was going to be more expensive than an Oscope. Wow! For $150 on Amazon, I can tune my head unit and know exactly where it starts to distort, then do the same thing on my amp. I can't wait to try it out.

My question is......has anyone here actually used one of these on an Aquatic AV? If so which dB test tone should I use?

Thanks
I just do mine by ear. Turn the HU half way up, adjust the bass, treble, exct. the way you normally listen to it. Then adjustment HU volume up 75% . Now adjust the amps gain until it starts to distort, then back off until it's smooth . sound. You're done. It's no oscilloscope exact, But it's close enough.

2010 FLTRX , Stage 1, 13" Madstad, Mono tubes, SuperShox, Heritage style bars. Alpine CDE-HD149BT,Soundstream Picasso Nano Series PN4.520 , 5X7 and 6.5 Infinity Kappa speakers
If I have to explain ,you wouldn't under stand anyway.
Big_gary is online now  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 06:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 748
Remember that the DD1 simply tells you the max level that your amp CAN be at without distortion. It is still possible that that level is too much for a given speaker. Think of the DD1 as the high limit finder, you will still likely have to back off some to protect your speakers, especially if you're bridged.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RoadGypsy and rustyj671 like this.

Freedom isn't free, remember to thank a vet.
2018 CVO RG lava orange, 117 Stage 3, 14" F47 and a few chrome extras. Boom crap gone.
2016 RG Special Cosmic Blue, 120ST with Dragos 2:1 and TTS tuner, FBI drop seat kit and JNR air ride. Stock audio long gone.
roadie13 is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Hangaround
 
rustyj671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NW Louisiana
Posts: 186
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie13 View Post
Remember that the DD1 simply tells you the max level that your amp CAN be at without distortion. It is still possible that that level is too much for a given speaker. Think of the DD1 as the high limit finder, you will still likely have to back off some to protect your speakers, especially if you're bridged.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not bridged. I'm running the HX280/4 which gives me 50w per channel at 4 ohms. I'm running 2xMM652s and 2xDB652s which are rated at 100w RMS at 4 ohms. High limit should not be an issue for the speakers. My concern is what dB level test tone do I use to set the gains? -5 dB? 0 dB?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'12 FLTRX ==> PV w/ TT, PM Super Gas A/C, Dragos 580 cams, Fullsac DX pipe and 2" baffles in stock muffs, 18" Badseed bars, Custom Dynamics lighting, Dunlop AE tires, Aquatic Audio, JL Audio amp, Polk speakers, Progressive Monotubes, Alloy Art Stabilizer and Cush Drive, GMR Compensaver on SE compensator, Rush Cycle Pedic seat....all thanks to this forum.
rustyj671 is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 02:01 PM
Hangaround
 
DE-Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 88
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyj671 View Post
I'm not bridged. I'm running the HX280/4 which gives me 50w per channel at 4 ohms. I'm running 2xMM652s and 2xDB652s which are rated at 100w RMS at 4 ohms. High limit should not be an issue for the speakers. My concern is what dB level test tone do I use to set the gains? -5 dB? 0 dB?
He usually does a first pass with 1000Hz pink noise at 0 db, then if you want some additional volume, do a second pass with 1000Hz pink noise at -5 db

Ride More, Work Less
DE-Glide is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Hangaround
 
rustyj671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NW Louisiana
Posts: 186
Garage
Well, I figured out that it sucks using the SMD on a head unit without a CD player. I had to upload the test tones to my phone use the Bluetooth. I could use an MP3 player, but the one I have is a PoS and I don't trust it's output. I figured out that the Bluetooth connection started to distort at a little over 1/2 volume on the phone. The headphone attachment/aux was clean all the way out to Max volume on the phone, but my phone is too big to fit inside the HU and the HU doesn't have an external AUX connection. Confused? Me too.....lol. Bottom line, I ended up getting it pretty damn close and it sounds great and is very loud. I'm happy with it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'12 FLTRX ==> PV w/ TT, PM Super Gas A/C, Dragos 580 cams, Fullsac DX pipe and 2" baffles in stock muffs, 18" Badseed bars, Custom Dynamics lighting, Dunlop AE tires, Aquatic Audio, JL Audio amp, Polk speakers, Progressive Monotubes, Alloy Art Stabilizer and Cush Drive, GMR Compensaver on SE compensator, Rush Cycle Pedic seat....all thanks to this forum.
rustyj671 is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 02:49 PM
Hangaround
 
DE-Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 88
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyj671 View Post
Well, I figured out that it sucks using the SMD on a head unit without a CD player. I had to upload the test tones to my phone use the Bluetooth. I could use an MP3 player, but the one I have is a PoS and I don't trust it's output. I figured out that the Bluetooth connection started to distort at a little over 1/2 volume on the phone. The headphone attachment/aux was clean all the way out to Max volume on the phone, but my phone is too big to fit inside the HU and the HU doesn't have an external AUX connection. Confused? Me too.....lol. Bottom line, I ended up getting it pretty damn close and it sounds great and is very loud. I'm happy with it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I simply placed the MP3 files onto a thumb drive when I did mine. I'm glad it worked out for you. I too have the SMD DD-1, and it works great. Unfortunately, I am still stuck with the factory head unit (2015) as I like the interface and navigation. The sound quality coming out of it is garbage and starts to distort a little beyond half volume. So I set the head unit, then I set the gains in my Arc Audio PSM, then set the gains on the amplifier. Now as long as I don't go beyond the mark at which the head unit distorts , everything is crystal clear.

Ride More, Work Less
DE-Glide is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hertz mpx 165.3 with JL hx280/4 Chrisg81983 Audio 27 05-03-2018 11:50 AM
Opinion or review of Aquatic AV AQ-MP-5UBT-H Ginee13 Audio 15 04-24-2017 01:48 PM
Just purchased a jl audio hx280/4 cookie114 Audio 6 03-02-2017 06:01 PM
JL HX280/4 amp "Like new" bmayy71 Parts for Sale 7 08-11-2016 11:23 PM
JL hx280/4 dozer23 Audio 0 05-03-2015 05:00 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome